Sign in to follow this  
Maximustehgreat

Recent update - "Evalutating partial loot system"

Awesome post Omegaforce, i couldn't find the tiniest flaw in your list.

Rolf should use your post to fix PvP in wurm, 75% of the flaws are covered in it!

In my opinion Rolf should only listen to Omegaforce.

lol. Irony.

more interactive and engaging combat system

I play a majority of PvP games, hence able to compare what is and is not working. Wurms PvP is not something I would invest much time in

I fail to see anyone here asking you to invest your time in PvP. I think they actually ask you to STOP doing that. If you don't like something, you can always find another game. You said you play a majority of pvp games. I am pretty sure you could just take Wurm's pvp out of that list and just do your design stuff, which you are good at.

OF's post is pretty good with one exception - do you guys realise that if we remove the footshot penalty, It won't force the players to actually go and pvp all the time, it will just remove like 90% of deaths? What would be the point in that? One would be able to, say, gatehop near the mine for the time being. Did you forget pre-nerfed champs? That was so silly It wasn't even funny. Did you forget how like 10 mrs were ganking me including shieldbashes, and still I was able to pass like 10 tiles without even a single ammy charge? That's totally wrong, imo.

[me=ninjakiss]facepalm. It should not take days to get gear pvp ready plain and simple. People will still like getting loot even if it is easier, it is the chase that is exciting, but dammit a week to get full gear and enchants is too much its a game not a job! There has to be some middle ground, partial loot...[/me]

Wasn't that with the damage reduction littlebear?  We didn't have foot wounds in gold 1 and people still died.

Your idea makes your original statement obsolete. If the gear is easier to make, no-one will need to fight for it...

plus players tend to fight for affinities and rank.

Hahahaha...no but really, I know quite a few people (a large amount) find rank to be pointless and affinities useless.

but currently it is not.

That is an opinion

It doesn't draw you to the game, you cannot say it doesn't draw other people

No. Its not opinion.

It is, since some people are still drawn to pvp. So your statement is either an opinion or plain wrong.

I'm sorry, you guys cant seem to separate what I am saying from your personal interests. The major draw for wurm is the PvE, crafting and Terraforming and virtual world aspects. This does not mean that some people are not drawn to its PvP features. I NEVER said that was not the case. Not sure how it can be made more clear.

His statement was blanket, and did not include "Some" or "Me". Those words make a great deal of difference.

Yet again, what is or is not a "major draw" is opinion. Why don't you understand? If you had said something like "most players don't come here for the pvp loot", that would be fine, and I would agree. But you didn't, you seem to think because you do not like pvp/loot therefore it's impossible to be enjoyed.

You're dragging this entire thread off track simply by posting an antagonistic 2-word reply, shouldn't you know better? And again. V :)

The funny part here is I see Mr. Bloodworth on other boards where PVP in MMOGs is discussed -extensively- with other MMOG designers and players.  The points he has put forth have generally been agreed to be important factors in the failure or success of a pvp game.  Seeing someone with a name like derp trying to refute these arguments with "Well, that's just your opinion, man" is the height of internet debate. :P

People need to look past their own interests in the game and look to the game's long term survivability.  PvP in Wurm is pointless and ridiculously punitive (which is why it interests me not in the slightest).  How can we fix that?

Omegaforce has some true words there, +1 to his ideas

tho i dont agree with the foot shot due to what little bear pointed out in that there would be alot less kills because of it.

Omegaforce has some true words there, +1 to his ideas

tho i dont agree with the foot shot due to what little bear pointed out in that there would be alot less kills because of it.

+1

I agree with the breakdown of where Wurm's warfare needs to be headed that Mr.B outlined (in an edit made long after the argument was over).

The focus needs to shift further away from skilling and gearing up for short bursts of small unit skirmishes and more towards group efforts to accomplish strategic, kingdom level goals. I'm not saying that the latter doesn't happen - there is clear evidence that it does. But there is also clear evidence that the prior is diminishing the level of activity across the entire server and preventing the latter, as well as a serious lack of development in tools, items, and game mechanics to allow that level of play.

The problem is that many of the most knowledgeable participants have ulterior motives to shape the game in a way that suits their interests or protects their favorable position, while many other participants want things that annoy them on a personal level to go away regardless of the greater implications to the game as a whole.

That's just my opinion of course, and I've been guilty of all of it myself at one time or another.

The problem is that many of the most knowledgeable participants have ulterior motives to shape the game in a way that suits their interests or protects their favorable position, while many other participants want things that annoy them on a personal level to go away regardless of the greater implications to the game as a whole.

That's just my opinion of course, and I've been guilty of all of it myself at one time or another.

I died 3 times in PvP last night, kept my armour and toolbelts and i still have to say this is a bad idea.

Thanks Rolf, good updates today. A good mix of changes to both get people fighting more and to bring some sense to the system.

Looking forward to seeing how foot wounds will have an effect now. Before, they were perhaps too deadly and meant people relied on gatehopping too much (causing the "gatehopping culture" we have) as well as ganks. A good balance of risk, reward and fairness is required and I think these changes should meet them well.

Some good suggestions from Bal, Xallo , Gavin and Max but why have we got a broken system, before the fight fix did we have all these problems?

Cheers

Dadd

The fightfix didn't cause these problems, Wurm not being designed to be ran continuously for periods longer than a year is what caused these problems.

There is no point in joining a PVP server when everyone has played for years and have accumulated 80+ everything, and the only way to catch up is by throwing down a fat bag of euros to buy a character you didn't even play yourself.

Some kind of compromise between the Minecraft model and the Wurm Online model would be perfect.

Scribbles: What you want is a server that reset each 3 months. There will always be people with more time then you to play, no matter what game you chose to play, accept that fact and enjoy wurm instead of focusing on something that wont ever happen, thank god!

You fail to grasp the simple fact that there are MANY very skilled accounts not even playing anymore on the server, this happens in every game. This evens out the playing field.

But, what I want to ask you, what is wrong that someone is very skilled ? if he has the time to spent why shouldnt he be allowed to grind his skills? - What you want is rather selfish imo, "My name is scribbles, i dont have time to play so much and others get better skill then me, i demand resets"... hmm You forget that you get your sleep bonus wich adds up for that.

We that played wurm for over 5 years enjoy it cause there Is no resets at all, thats why we play it. Changing such a fundamental thing would destroy wurmonline in an instant.

You fail to grasp the simple fact that there are MANY very skilled accounts not even playing anymore on the server, this happens in every game. This evens out the playing field.

Not so much on wurm I'm afraid.

On wurm if a player knows they're quitting usually they'll sell a character putting those "Inactive skilled accounts" back into the "playing field" as you so put it.

Anyhoo, can this thread get back on track?