Sign in to follow this  
squirrels

Winter time

Curious if during the winter months is it harder to plant crops or is there no effect?

Nothing change except that instead of flowers and grass, all you see is snow. Snow has no effect whatsoever but for looks.

Didn't even know we had winter graphics in Wurm! That's awesome.  :D

Yep, we have all the assets to change the seasons to fall, spring, summer and winter. We just have a few design issues to sort out. So for now, its a manual change.

Yep, we have all the assets to change the seasons to fall, spring, summer and winter. We just have a few design issues to sort out. So for now, its a manual change.

Sweet!

Currently the seasons change with the real world Northern Hemisphere. Is the intention to have the graphics change with the wurm year then MrB - once it's automatic?

My question is, why is it only for looks? The seasons are a limiting factor in farming, its a fairly simple process to limit which plants can be grown in what season - it just takes a bit of research of the plants.

Also, what would be a wurmian year, is that known or has it been calculated? You could easily set up an automatic seasonal transition after knowing that information.

http://wurmonline.com/wiki/index.php?title=Time

Wurm time is 8 times faster than real life.

Every 1 real life hour is 8 wurm hours.

Every 3 real life hour is 1 wurm day. (2 real life hours of day and 1 real life hour of night per wurm day)

Every 21 real life hour is 1 wurm week.

and so on.

The calendar is on the wiki link that I posted at the top.

http://wurmonline.com/wiki/index.php?title=Time

Wurm time is 8 times faster than real life.

Every 1 real life hour is 8 wurm hours.

Every 3 real life hour is 1 wurm day. (2 real life hours of day and 1 real life hour of night per wurm day)

Every 21 real life hour is 1 wurm week.

and so on.

The calendar is on the wiki link that I posted at the top.

Hmm, it would be easier to calculate if it was an even ratio. However based on that information it should still be possible to make an automated system, for more than just looks.

That was my thinking when asking the question.  It would make farming more important and create a trade system for crops.  Right now Crops are really non saleable.  Could bring in other things like canning vegtables  and preserving fruits.

My question is, why is it only for looks? The seasons are a limiting factor in farming, its a fairly simple process to limit which plants can be grown in what season - it just takes a bit of research of the plants.

It'd be terribly annoying to only be able to grow certain crops in certain seasons (especially when seasons last as long as they do now)

If I need to make ropes in winter, I want to be able to harvest wemp. Same goes for cotton, and garlic..

It'd be terribly annoying to only be able to grow certain crops in certain seasons (especially when seasons last as long as they do now)

If I need to make ropes in winter, I want to be able to harvest wemp. Same goes for cotton, and garlic..

This is why people store goods, pickle, can, and preserve. So that they would have said things for winter. Most of the work done in the seasonal year was FOR winter. As it stands now I don't see any limiting factor that makes it interesting at all, which allows the market to get over-saturated with goods.

It would add immersion and depth to the game, while also make it more involving; Life isn't suppose to be easy.

Notch (Founder): "...Wurm is not an MMORPG... ;)"

It's Massively Multiplayer Online Fantasy Simulator (MMOFS)

Or you could call it a Life Emulator...

A massive world you can create and shape around you.

It would add immersion and depth to the game, while also make it more involving; Life isn't suppose to be easy.

Neither a game that's already tedious as it is.

This is a game. Its supposed to be fun, life isnt always fun. If I die irl Im dead, if I die in this game I respawn.

I would enjoy seeing the seasons actually mean something - and I'm not so sure it would add to being tedious.

What is tedious for me is for instance having to farm for a long time each and every day, with no exception. Dull = tedious...

If I would have to do different things in different seasons, there would be more variety, so less tediousness I think.

But... there would have to be some changes made for this to be well possible. You would have to be able to feed your animals hay in the winter for instance. Some new (winter) crops (just a few, not much grows in winter) would have to be introduced (sprouts, some cawl (sp?)-sorts). Also some things that now decay fast but would have to be able to be preserved for other seasons (not just winter; it would then also happen that some things would only, or mainly, be available in spring, summer or fall) somehow would first need attention.

But given the neccessary work would be done first to make this viable, sure I would enjoy it - and especially the variety it would bring, thereby making the daily chores less tedious, not more so, for my feeling.

Edit: I do think seasons should follow wurm-year, not RL-year.

I'd love to see the seasons matter more, especially in regards to farming. Sure, certain crops would need to be able to be grown in the winter, and there would need to be a way to ensure that animals could get fed during the winter. Perhaps grains like wheat and barley could be "dried" and stored for winter feedings, like hay?  Or, since there are 4 grains, have one grain for each season.

I could easily see it going something like this:

Barley - Summer

Corn - Spring/Summer

Garlic - Spring/Summer

Oat - Spring

Onion - Spring/Summer

Potato - Spring/Summer

Pumpkin - Fall

Rye - Winter

Wheat  - Fall

Cotton - Spring/Summer

Wemp - Fall/Winter

I also LOVE the idea of canning or preservation to make sure that certain harvested items (like pumpkins!) will last until the next season.

What is tedious for me is for instance having to farm for a long time each and every day, with no exception.
No one is forcing you so I think 'with no exception' is a little over the top.

Instead of making certain crops impossible to grow during certain seasons we could just have reduced yields during that time (minimum 2x crop still). So if you want those few ropes out of wemp season you can still do it, but if you're planning on grinding ropemaking or building a ship rig you'll want to either wait for the right season or seek help from your neighbor who bulked up.

Seems reasonable and not too intrusive to me.

This is why people store goods, pickle, can, and preserve. So that they would have said things for winter. Most of the work done in the seasonal year was FOR winter. As it stands now I don't see any limiting factor that makes it interesting at all, which allows the market to get over-saturated with goods.

Notch (Founder): "...Wurm is not an MMORPG... ;)"

It's Massively Multiplayer Online Fantasy Simulator (MMOFS)

Or you could call it a Life Emulator...

A massive world you can create and shape around you.

True, BUT I think it should be considered that this is a game in which time passes, as mentioned earlier, eight times as fast as reality.

When it was necessary for survival to do these things in everyday (non-wurm) life it was incredibly time consuming -- basically living to survive. 

In addition to the 8x speed most people cant be on wurm 24/7 - so effectively time in wurm if these sort of extraordinarily realistic modifications were made would be passing at a rate quite faster than 8x reality depending on how many hours you were able to be logged on - if that makes any sense to anyone.

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I think things in wurm can already tend to be difficult and that sort of a modification would really have a negative impact on gameplay.  Perhaps it might be an interesting twist for the epic server though.

Instead of making certain crops impossible to grow during certain seasons we could just have reduced yields during that time (minimum 2x crop still). So if you want those few ropes out of wemp season you can still do it, but if you're planning on grinding ropemaking or building a ship rig you'll want to either wait for the right season or seek help from your neighbor who bulked up.

Seems reasonable and not too intrusive to me.

Id rather see some crops give increased yields during certain times, buff it instead of nerf it and Im sure people will like it.