Sign in to follow this  
itistricky

lol @ server

You may tame your horse and log off.

As for me, it seems like someone hugely overloaded the server in a very short period of time.

The network traffic graph of the freedom server looks even more interesting...

http://freedom001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/eth0

Can you interpret the interesting part for those of us having a harder time reading the graphs.

EDIT: ok now I see. We are getting hit. Hard. Could some of that be people just trying to reconnect over and over?

No, I don't wanna lose skills and items I have gained for last 3 hours.

You may tame your horse and log off.

Yet the server status on the main site claims that freedom is up. What is going on?

well the blue line is outgoing traffic the green stuff is ingoing...:o

the weekly shows good how it should be naturally, a little wavy, because people log on on different timezones (you know when the kchat is really empty^^)

the daily graph shows how it was today....and tis a bit odd...because shortly before ANY traffic is gone, doesnt matter if Out or In there is a massive Outgoing spike :o whatever that means...

and then nothing....like the server is dead :o

btw please dont make a server reroll with 3 hours...>.< I've done alot in this time....

then....*criiiies* i wanna play*snif

getting Unable to launch the application now.

and for the past week been getting that the certificate isn't verified

Wolrider.  go into Java control panel in windows control panel,  find temporary internet files, remove Wurm online, then come back to the website or forums and reinstall the client.  that will fix that error for you.

Wolrider.  go into Java control panel in windows control panel,  find temporary internet files, remove Wurm online, then come back to the website or forums and reinstall the client.  that will fix that error for you.

I've never had to reinstall the client, just deleting the java cache has always cleared it for me.

Another graph http://wild001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/eth0 shows that wild server handled the spike well and didn't crash.

They didn't go as high, either. Hmm, any way it could be related to the players logged in, rather than some outside source? IE, somehow we all .. triggered it, something in the code itself that overloaded at once? Wild had less than one third the players so less than one third the spike.

These days it might also be DDoS attack(see LulzSec), but I am not sure if it could be DDos attack, that would mean massive spike in inbound traffic, wouldn't it?

Not necessarily. There are several types of DoS attacks. A SYN-flood attack may well lead to an excess of outbound traffic whene the server chokes itself.

My money is down on a simple server-side bug however.

Seems like the prem-only server is better protected. Well, I guess that's how the free market works. Anyway - the site claims that freedom is up again. Any word from Rolf?

Both the login and Freedom server seems to be very much 'alive' at the moment. Haven't attempted logging in though.

Another example of why Rolf needs a weekend staff with the ability to respond to downtime.

Both the login and Freedom server seems to be very much 'alive' at the moment. Haven't attempted logging in though.

Well, I can't get in.

Can't log in at all, and you'll get different reasons why you can't log in:

connection refused

the server is lagging. reconnecting in 20 seconds

an existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

failed to connect to the new game server

Like said before.

And we won't untill Rolf does something. Apparently it's good that the server is down, because it means that it has basic security. If it didn't crash during that spike it would actually exceed (dunno if spelling right, tired as hell) the bandwith limit or get damaged. It turned off itself in order to secure itself.

an existing connection forced the remote host computer to shut down (something like that)

It does not matter what it says. It's down and we have to wait for Rolf. Nothing can be done before he fixes the stuff

I would not consider that spike just before it crashed an attack of any kind.  More likely it was 413 players all reconnecting at once, which may have caused it to lock up.  It would also explain the lesser spike on Wild, and why they did not lock up (fewer Players).

I would not consider that spike just before it crashed an attack of any kind.  More likely it was 413 players all reconnecting at once, which may have caused it to lock up.

You've got a point, but the server went down for the first time before we reconnected.