Sign in to follow this  
Julepalme

Weaponspeed and how it affects taming. (unintended?)

So rolf changed the weaponspeed. great for pvp'ers im sure, or atleast has the intended effect there.

And sure, it makes sense to up the animals attackspeed to counteract the increased weaponspeed..? right?..

No it doesnt.. Because he hasnt increase the Taming timer.

So this now means my champ mountain lion will hit me a lot more than it did before the patch.. making me take more damage while trying to tame it making taming overall harder.

So in order to go full circle and balance it completely i think taming timer should be shortened by 25% aswell (my sword went from 8s to 6s swing timer), or however much quicker the animals attackspeed were made.

+1 agree

that weaponspeed thing is really good as fight dont last as long as it were before, but I also have noticed that taming my little wildcat is a bit difficult or should i say dangerous?

Aye dangerous being the word..

im wearing 70ql chain and a 70ql lms.. its getting a ton of hits on me still.

Last time I spoke to Rolf on taming he wanted it to be harder on higher end pets, but seeing as the mechanic is basically try till you get it, all that's happening is it takes longer to tame.

It does make pets more useful in pvp and pve because of the faster attack speed, I'm split on whether taming should be made easier or not. Just needs to move away from the idea of something that takes a long time is difficult.

Taming was always very easy. Now its still easy, but a bit better.

Surely you can grind taming on non-aggros to the point that you can tame aggros more easily...

If I could define the Wurm community in one word, it would be "Bootstraps".

Does this also mean that getting interrupted while focusing and shield-bashing is gonna be more of a problem?  Or were those timers adjusted? (I've not had a chance to fight anything since the update)

People are just too used to easy taming. They think they should be god with 40 taming. Get 90 and then complain if it's too hard.

YES!!! make taming back to how it was before please. Even before, with my 50ql chain, taming a brown bear took me down to half health, now it kills me unless i back off between every attempt.

+1

YES!!! make taming back to how it was before please. Even before, with my 50ql chain, taming a brown bear took me down to half health, now it kills me unless i back off between every attempt.

+1

If you can't fight it, you shouldn't be able to tame it.

I can see how this will make dominating a lot tougher... already have a hard time with a mature champ scorp interrupting the spell...

Don't really see a problem myself.  Whenever I go in to tame an animal I go in defensive mode and put my sword away, so I don't accidentally hurt the animal badly.  I currently have a champ  mountain lion and  just stand there and take it while taming him.  Retamed him last night and had no more problems than usual.  This is the same way I handle bears.  I think you all just need more taming skill.

I have to agree in the sense that tweaks to Wurm are often not thought through far enough to end the side effects of a change on other systems. Eventually I think something will break or it will just have to revert back a few years in development >.<

So rolf changed the weaponspeed. great for pvp'ers im sure, or atleast has the intended effect there.

And sure, it makes sense to up the animals attackspeed to counteract the increased weaponspeed..? right?..

So this now means my champ mountain lion will hit me a lot more than it did before the patch.. making me take more damage while trying to tame it making taming overall harder.

So in order to go full circle and balance it completely i think taming timer should be shortened by 25% aswell (my sword went from 8s to 6s swing timer), or however much quicker the animals attackspeed were made.

I agree. I tried taming my cavebug with armor on, and had to back out before the first tame was done. Thing was ganking me

Spend some more time bashing your cow and use ql 90+ taming food.

Also, dont you mean decrease taming timer?

Why would he make you and animals attack faster, but make taming take longer lol.

Sorry, just really felt like pointing that out.

Testing condition:

Armor: full chain armor, ql 70-75

Shield: Large metal shield, ql 34, skill 38

Fight stance: Defensive

Tame skill: 50.18

Tame food: porridge, ql 90.93

Tamed animal: Mature fat fierce crocodile

Average tame time: 6-8 seconds

Test 1: Success, Tame action: 5, HP: 92%

Test 2: Success, Tame action: 2, HP: 97%

Test 3: Fail, ran out of stamina, Tame action: 8, HP: 93%

Test 4: Success, Tame action: 5, HP: 90%

Conclusion: I dont see any problem with taming as it is right now.

Damage check with an aged fat champion wildcat using the same gear:

Test duration: 1 minute 11 seconds

Total attacks: 19

Total successful attacks: 9

Total damage: 10.39%

Average damage per successful attack: 1.154%

Average damage per second: 0.146%

Conclusion: I dont really see anything unbalancing from this result, wildcats, even champs, are still wuss.

Testing condition:

Armor: full chain armor, ql 70-75

Shield: Large metal shield, ql 34, skill 38

Fight stance: Defensive

Tame skill: 50.18

Tame food: porridge, ql 90.93

Tamed animal: Mature fat fierce crocodile

Average tame time: 6-8 seconds

Test 1: Success, Tame action: 5, HP: 92%

Test 2: Success, Tame action: 2, HP: 97%

Test 3: Fail, ran out of stamina, Tame action: 8, HP: 93%

Test 4: Success, Tame action: 5, HP: 90%

Conclusion: I dont see any problem with taming as it is right now.

Damage check with an aged fat champion wildcat using the same gear:

Test duration: 1 minute 11 seconds

Total attacks: 19

Total successful attacks: 9

Total damage: 10.39%

Average damage per successful attack: 1.154%

Average damage per second: 0.146%

Conclusion: I dont really see anything unbalancing from this result, wildcats, even champs, are still wuss.

That is the most asinine test I have ever seen. For this to be properly gauged, you'd need to conduct a control test that DIDNT have this update.

The test was ment to show that, even with the update, its still doable, i didnt have any problem at all taming.

Of course if i acted like a silly bugger and tried to do that to a champ bear or a champ croc, then i would expect that i would fail, horribly, with my horribly mutilated body settling inside an animal stomach.

Basicaly I would say get some more skill if you cant do it now. Its not a big deal if you have a hard time taming a mountain lion your skill cant be that high as it is and if you are getting hitalot while tamming a champ Bear then Hello its a champ bear did you expect it to roll over for you.

Is this something you noticed in practice or is it speculation?

Ive noticed it multiple times in practice, normally taming a wolf(in no armour) gets me down to 90-95% health, since the update(with the same ql meat, coming from a FSB) I have been getting down to 60-70 health. Tamed six different wolves and noticed this.

Like any highly complex system, a change in one variable will invariably change the behaviour of the whole system, intended or not. This is shown by this update. This does not mean that the changea are bad per se, if it actually make combat better, a little increased difficulty in taming is worth it.

You are the most advanced intelligent being in the planet, for god sake. If the rule of the game changes, then adapt, don't whine (or rage quit, its your choice).

Again, the inadvertent change in taming did not break the game, if it made it more difficult then consider it a challange for you as a tamer.