Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Feedback regarding decay

12 hours into this update and already I have 45ql cotton that has 10 damage to it....

Needless to say this is INSANE, and by the rate it's going, i'll have lost a ton of items by Friday. I can't even imagine what new players are going to go through...

This decay nerf was all for what? Some lag resolved... some FPS? You know what I say to those that complain about the lag? Buy a new computer. I don't get anything less than 15fps, even in Newtown, which is very acceptable for a "smooth play" of wurm. Nor do I get horrible amounts of lag, unless it's "backup" lag, which happens at key times during the course of a day.

Yeah, WORST UPDATE EVER.

Just lost a couple hundred recently harvested potato's inside a house on deed inside a chest, inside a backpack, inside a bowl......The bowls decayed from last night when i havested the crop to today when i came home for lunch....i give up....

12 hours into this update and already I have 45ql cotton that has 10 damage to it....

Needless to say this is INSANE, and by the rate it's going, i'll have lost a ton of items by Friday. I can't even imagine what new players are going to go through...

This decay nerf was all for what? Some lag resolved... some FPS? You know what I say to those that complain about the lag? Buy a new computer. I don't get anything less than 15fps, even in Newtown, which is very acceptable for a "smooth play" of wurm. Nor do I get horrible amounts of lag, unless it's "backup" lag, which happens at key times during the course of a day.

Yeah, WORST UPDATE EVER.

Great thing about the update - Rolf re-opened his blog!

The decay rate has increased for certain very popular items that cluttered the database and is a major factor in game lag. The effect of putting these items in containers' date=' houses and on deeds have been improved. [b']Expect some heavy initial decay these first days. It will normalize. Also you may have to move a bit more in the future since stockpiling may become a bit harder. When you use an item such as lighting a forge, it will prevent decay. Items in caves decay as if they were inside.

I definitely second the "stockpile" idea. We should be able to create a stockpile object out of any object. Adding an object of the same time to the stockpile creates a stockpile with the averaged quality, much like combining items together does. I should be able to click on my potato/brick/cotton and get a "create stockpile" option that creates a weight-based (for things like cotton) stockpile. Then I should be able to open it like a container and drag a single item or stack of items into it, and it will average the quality just like it would if I would have combined two items and increase the total weight of the stockpile by the added amount.

As long as the database knows the weight of 1 unit of each item, it can deduct the correct amount when "withdrawing" from the stockpile. Withdrawing should either provide a number prompt or simply give the stockpile right click options like winching a catapult (Withdraw 1 Item, Withdraw 10 items).

Then give a stockpile a max unit total of maybe 100, since a pile of items is 100.

Suddenly a pile of 100 wemp seeds or 100 planks has become 1 item in the database. That's a nice 100:1 ratio. A lot of players have stacks of 100 items laying around such as seeds, cotton, rope, bricks, planks. You could limit the stockpile creation option only to relevant (logical) items and trouble items. It would make no sense to make a stockpile out of clay bowls, for instance, but a good idea for seeds.

You could also limit it by making the stockpiles only creatable inside a specific new building type. Perhaps add a "Silo" or "Storehouse" building that you would have to plan that allows for the creation of stockpiles inside of it once it's finished. There would need to be a resolution for stockpiles that existed after a building has fallen down as well, maybe have a decay on the entire pile if it's outside of one of these buildings, which affects the quality of the item withdrawn directly as if it had the damage on it.

I lost a lot of things too, on a deed, in a house, in a container. Look on the bright side... more skill to replace with the sleep bonus.  :D

Are you still reading this thread Rolf?

I'd love to know the count on Meat laying around, maybe this should be added next shut down?

Also would it not help to have animal/monster corpse decay faster? Do we really need these laying around as long as they do? I mean you kill them and butcher them...Maybe you forget your knife so you got to run home but, I doubt we need them to stay as long as they do.

And I agree with the litter bin idea. I'd be happy to use it in the near future.

I lost a lot of things too, on a deed, in a house, in a container. Look on the bright side... more skill to replace with the sleep bonus.  :D

I'd love to know the count on Meat laying around, maybe this should be added next shut down?

Also would it not help to have animal/monster corpse decay faster? Do we really need these laying around as long as they do? I mean you kill them and butcher them...Maybe you forget your knife so you got to run home but, I doubt we need them to stay as long as they do.

And I agree with the litter bin idea. I'd be happy to use it in the near future.

Small Bug(S): (+bugs edited in)

-Brass spyglasses have the option apparently of being imped with a copper lump in the imp column. When they cannot be imped.

Also, awesome recent update, pure awesome ;)

Small Bug:

Brass spyglasses have the option apparently of being imped with a copper lump in the imp column. When they cannot be imped.

Small Bug:

Brass spyglasses have the option apparently of being imped with a copper lump in the imp column. When they cannot be imped.

[me=wwiiol]whispers to danny...[/me]

"It's brass"

Ok, I am all for doing something about the general clutter that ensues from folks just dropping items all over the place, Newtown is a perfect example. A lot of work is put into keeping that place picked up after all the newbs doing their tutorial quests. This seen everywhere and as most have  said it is mostly from grinding.

However I would like to see consideration for maybe places that slow down decay, like being able to keep a tree or two in your house (or in a cart) for imping stuff so you don't have to waste sleep bonus on going to fetch a fresh one because the one you had has decayed too much or completely away.

Oh and on the subject of imping, perhaps make improving a bit more effective in skill gain so a person doesn't have to make a gazzillion items to imp to keep their skill level above the level of the item(s) they are imping. For example, I make 20 or 30 needles to improve grinding my blacksmithing skill so i can keep my skill level above the ql of the needles and improve my chances of success with each improvement.

anyways that is part of my take on the situation

I lost a lot of things too, on a deed, in a house, in a container. Look on the bright side...

I certainly am, made my descision on whether to stick around or not much easier.  I care about my stuff and have spent a lot of time putting it together.  Apparently the dev's don't share the same level of concern over players possesions.  Less than 24 hours from first notice to implementation, no warning to get stuff out of pottery containers, and no time for people to improve them.  That's something my 12 year old would do.

Say good bye to 4 more premium accounts.

I must have had a bug, some of the items returned. I think the containers went away, they were lowly 1 ql bowls for the seeds so that probably put it over the 100 item limit.

Nosyt, you lost drake!?  :o

Meat doesn't really stay around that long.

I certainly am, made my descision on whether to stick around or not much easier.  I care about my stuff and have spent a lot of time putting it together.  Apparently the dev's don't share the same level of concern over players possesions.  Less than 24 hours from first notice to implementation, no warning to get stuff out of pottery containers, and no time for people to improve them.  That's something my 12 year old would do.

Say good bye to 4 more premium accounts.

I am considering to quit as well, if i cant play the way i am used to ie have some stocks in strings and such so i dont have to spend a day or two just to make strings and hc:s for the huntingtrip. Also loosing items like high ql lumps arent fun at all, it not like 80 and 90ql lumps grow on trees on a home server. Those have cost me plenty of coin.

I am giving it 48 hrs, depending on how things look then i will renew prem for my priest and my main when it comes up next time.

Daash, have you checked to be sure they aren't gone?  see my post above about the 100 item limit.  might help.

Managed to retrieve the heavy and useless hc:s (25 potency ones that weigh too much to drag them around, the good light 0,02kg ones that where made alot later then the ones that are left have decayed away) that way, the forge (if i still have one when i get home that is !) dont even have 100 items in it.

Things outside and out of anu container seem to decat alot less then the stuff stored in a stone coffin inside a stone house as well.

I am gonna go so far as to say something are VERY bad about that !

| 88000 |dirtpile *

is this the actual number or just as far as it counts? :P

cuzz im sure i can lower it with atleast 2k that i got laying around :P(love to dig randomly)

but pls dont increase decay on dirt as we only have a limited amount of it in the first place

He did yesterday, and i think he said the dirts got halved.. :o

During the minebug i noticed several small caved-in holes in newtown area, whit venerabel starving cavebugs. Probally been there from before fightfix. A few days ago i mined out some caved-in sections in a long tunnel, and found venerabel pigs and phesants, likevise cut off in small sections.

Dunno how much resources this take up, but probally several 1000' creatures trapped like this.

Perhaps some event to kill off all starving aged-old-venerabel creatures could help too ?

just make it so caves can collapse on animals many people keep animals for longs times for good reason.

I lost a cart in a house, (nope, it's not in the pile), a chest in my house, that may have been fairly well damaged since I just pushed it onto deed because I couldn't destroy it off deed, the appx 20 enchanted tools inside the chest, and the 75ql 90coc ax I was cutting trees with when the server went down for the update. None of my stuff was over 20 dmg.

Great.. I get to earn more skills to sell stuff so I can buy new... no wait, traders don't work either.  Guess I need to start smithing.

So now to start mining.  I'll get my pickaxe out of the che... aw damn