Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Feedback regarding decay

To those mentioning keys, they weren't marked as priority items ;P

Change rags so you only used the amount you need then we could combine them, that would be better than holding 100+ items for healing.

just because people like to stockpile thousands of bricks for repairs(such as in a raid) doesn't mean they shouldn't decay faster

hey i wanna stockpile rockshards so i can repair and make bricks and other stuff when i need it let's make those last for a year ::)

I like Angel's idea about not increasing decay for items on a deed. It stands to reason that if someone can continue to pay upkeep for a deed, they will use the items on that deed. Increase decay for all these items off-deed, and please, oh please, add forges, ovens, fountains, and grindstones to the list (I'm a mason, so I notice these things more).

hey i wanna stockpile rockshards so i can repair and make bricks and other stuff when i need it let's make those last for a year ::)

;)  lotta great suggestions here

slow the decay of items stored in their "proper" (to be defined) container

in a house

on a deed

and I'd be happy to have all the rest of my stuff poof the next day

"proper" containers:

cotton, lumps in coffins?

seeds in jars?

meat in small barrels?

string in flasks?

planks, shafts, shards, bricks in carts?

etc etc etc

We need to get rid of items in the databases. If we do we will notice a lot less lag.

This is from the jenn home database:

| 10433 |knifecarving

| 10862 |cottonseed

| 10967 |whetstone

| 11004 |pegwood

| 11793 | log

| 12199 |charcoal

| 12534 |garlic

| 12774 |tenon

| 12788 |rope

| 13299 |bowlpottery

| 15184 |meat

| 15265 |wemp fibre

| 15943 |onion

| 16652 |clothstring

| 17053 |scrap wood

| 18121 |rock

| 18344 |arrowshaft

| 23290 |iron lump

| 23435 |potato

| 23534 |shaft

| 23643 |cotton

| 26737 |corn

| 29371 |planks

| 31148 |rags

| 31243 |bowstring

| 45587 |wempseed

I think the real problem is how to find out which items are "needed" or intended for future use and which items are somewhere out in the wild left over to decay.

How about keeping the current decay rates for deeded areas or houses so you can still store some cotton, seeds or whatever and really turning up decay rate in undeeded areas.

I would hate it to find my highql, enchanted whetstone gone poof after I come back from a hunting trip or a raid only because I left it at home in my forge/chest/whatever.

We need to get rid of items in the databases. If we do we will notice a lot less lag.

This is from the jenn home database:

| 11004 |pegwood *

| 11793 | log *

| 12199 |charcoal *

| 12774 |tenon *

| 12788 |rope *

| 13299 |bowlpottery *

| 15184 |meat *

| 16652 |clothstring *

| 22084 |woundcover *

| 23290 |iron lump *

| 23435 |potato *

| 23643 |cotton *

| 26737 |corn *

| 29371 |planks *

| 31243 |bowstring *

| 34670 |stonebrick *

These are the only ones I have a problem with. Half the point in creating these items on the fly is because they can be massed and saved for later.

For example; I create a bunch of healing covers now so that I don't have to do it at 10% health out somewhere in the forest. For the same reason, I also carry cotton around with me, and I have a storage as buffer.

If I want to build a house, it makes sense to create the planks, or bricks, first, and build later. Bricks in particular, since you mortar decays extremely quickly.

When I build a cog, the whole point in carving hundreds of pegs and tenons now is that you can save them and "spam-attach" them later, rather than having to create - attach - repeat.

And meat is stockpiled so one can cook en-masse! One solution to this would be to decrease (or atleast preserve) the decayrate for cooked meat. I'd also like to mass the vegetables for the same meals similarly. Being able to keep a stock of vegetables is important considering how difficult farming has been made.

Iron lumps and cloth string are materials needed for creation and improvement in their related skills. Increasing the decay on these would be a massive kick in the nuts.

You get the idea...

I would like the option to copy the lock. Currently i carry 10-12 keys, that could be reduced to 2-3 masterkeys

when I make bowstrings or lockpicks I stand literally next to a vynora altar and low ql stuff goes into the altar and gets sacrificed, the good stuff gets kept. All part of my good housekeeping and to help keep item count down.

Interesting enough, there are a lot of logs even with their fast decay but not many felled trees or kindling. If making kindling gave equivalent skill gain to chopping down trees then you'd see a lot more kindling filling the DB and it becoming part of the problem. I would also suggest that a lot of these logs in the DB are log stumps, the left overs from crafting (probably ship building...) In this event PTO's idea of weight having an impact on decay is good.  I would say don't change the decay on carried items as I'd late to lose the improving log I use on my arrows.....

An option to destroy statues would be great as well....

How many of those items are not in a house or a container?

I really hate decay on things that should not decay; I like to keep some piles of repair and healing materials at hand which I would like to see

protected. Everything that is properly stored - especially in a house or container - should not decay faster (or at all for certain things like

containers, furniture, and everything else that would last ages in the real world).

I agree that useless things should vanish quickly - wood scraps in a forest for example, but not if they are stored as fuel in a house.

Whetstones in a pile somewhere outside, but not individual ones stored in a container. Dirt should simply drop to the ground when decaying,

raising it - it is a limited resource. As it does not get lost in that case, decay can be increased quite a bit if it is outside (12% reduction

of items out of the list).

Why should bricks stored in a mine decay?

I propose the following:

- Increase decay for all items mentioned except bricks if they are not stored in a container or in a house (to minimize annoying players)

- make all grain and seed behave like a fluid. This is more realistic anyway (reduces another 8% only for wemp and cotton seed)

- find a way to combine items of the same type in a container or pile into one single database object without separate id and scan for combinable items periodically. Add a function to return those combined items as single items with unique newly generated id based on combined item id and position in the list. If an item is added to the container, it will be added to the combined item of the same type on the next scan. If an item is removed from the list, the items are inserted into the database as unique items again - to be combined on the next scan (if that does not generate too much load). Simply search for containers that have not been opened in the last 48 hours and all the things stockpiled somewhere are soon not much of a problem anymore.

I really like the feedback.

I'll start decaying these types of things outside houses off deed including ovens/forges more dramatically then. Pray that it helps so that we don't have to touch your legitimate stockpiles:)

I don't like the idea of many of those objects taking more damage than they already do.

Maybe a nice compromise would be to make deeds with a certain amount of paid upkeep noticeably slow decay, and crank up the decay for everything on a non-protected deed.

More incentive and methods to properly dispose of garbage would be nice, too.  I try to keep my place tidy and modest, but there's just so much trash laying around many settlements that it's like somebody bombed a landfill.

I hate producing so much worthless crap that I have to just dump when I'm out hunting, and I hate wandering through the woods or plains and see the heaps of body parts left behind from another passing hunter.  Work out some method so that the butchered parts of an animal can be easily disposed of out in the field.  An example:  when the animal is butchered, the produced items appear inside the corpse, which opens as a container on the user's screen, and nobody else can open up the corpse and take things until the first user has closed his window or walked away from the body.  The user can take the stuff he does want and leave the rest, which is destroyed either when the corpse naturally decays or is buried.

Some sort of incinerator, that superheats and destroys anything you put into it while lit, would be excellent for garbage disposal, in lieu of altars for the religion-challenged.

Speaking of sacrificing:  Didn't some other MMO have "get rid of your worthless old crap" events?  Surely some sort of event could be held occasionally, where people get rewards for participating and disposing of problem items.

Please make sand and dirt drop when it has decayed not disappear. As we got a limited amount in dirt/sand on the map i don't want it to be removed from the server slowley. Stuff we can remake is ok to decay fast i think.

The only thing i see bad about the ql*3hours is when you create a 'failed' attempt (which results in a 1ql item) I think this it pretty unfair for people who create items such as bricks for a house, who then has to leave for more than 6 hours, when they return a large amount of bricks would have decayed (if the person has low mining/masonry).

On a side note, i will take all of that dirt lying around  ;)

Please make sand and dirt drop when it has decayed not disappear. As we got a limited amount in dirt/sand on the map i don't want it to be removed from the server slowley. Stuff we can remake is ok to decay fast i think.

I'll start decaying these types of things outside houses off deed including ovens/forges more dramatically then. Pray that it helps so that we don't have to touch your legitimate stockpiles:)

This thread will fix alot of the already existent problems with the Home Server, mainly the fact that it looks like a bomb site.

I would like to suggest increasing the soo-called "travel area". Aka the thing that stops roads from decaying if passed over once every month. Maybe make it so if a player dosen't walk within 5 tiles of a cobblestone or slab road in a month it will decay or revert to a gravel path and then after another month into a regular grass tile. It would show how decayed the area is and revert some of it back to normal.

I dont like the idea of Potato/Corn/Onion decaying faster than it does already. Im a cook so I stockpile this stuff BUT when I cook I make hundreds of meals so they no longer exist.  :P

I like the idea of combining like 50 potatos together, and then extracting them. Would also like to see such thing for grains and such, as I'm planning to try some baking.

regarding keys - the problem is that there are tons of locks and keys made that dont get used for anything. my suggestion would be (and this may or may not be a pain to do - i dont know) to increase decay on the lock itself for locks that are not being used (i.e. on a door, on a chest, etc etc), and when a lock is destroyed, remove the key(s) and keymold(s) for it.

also, corpses decay awful fast as it is. i understand the reason why, to clear the database asap, but for Libilans who want to zombie a corpse, we have to do it within a really short time or the corpse is too damaged. perhaps increase corpse decay, but also be able to cast rebirth on corpses regardless of their dmg?

I have an idea that after ql*3 hours i add 1 damage to these types of items. If an item still has 1 damage after another ql*3 hours they are destroyed. So if that one damage is repaired in that time the counter is reset.

In regards to some items reportedly decaying away instantly after the update :

[08:49] <~Rolf> a lot of items havent been "stamped" recently

[08:49] <~Rolf> so when i increase the decay rate they try to catch up and are destroyed

[08:49] <~Rolf> new ones are stamped at creation

[08:49] <~Rolf> so they wont instadecay like that

[08:50] <gaeron> but stuff touched in last few days should be fine right?

[08:50] <~Rolf> depends on ql gaeron

[08:50] <~Rolf> it's ql*hours for those items

[08:50] <~Rolf> *2 if inside and *2 if deeded

[08:51] <~Rolf> and also if in container it is *2 iirc