Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Feedback regarding decay

| 88000 |dirtpile * The only way I can think of that would improve dirt/sand handling is to change entirely how it works.  Make dirt and sand work like water, with a fixed quality level.  This would reduce a stack of 100 dirt or sand of lots of different qualities to 1 dirt or sand weighing 2000 Any uses that look at the QL of dirt or sand would need to look at the QL of something else, or at skill.

Don't forget the ability to select how many you want to drop/remove from the pile :P

| 88000 |dirtpile * The only way I can think of that would improve dirt/sand handling is to change entirely how it works.  Make dirt and sand work like water, with a fixed quality level.  This would reduce a stack of 100 dirt or sand of lots of different qualities to 1 dirt or sand weighing 2000 Any uses that look at the QL of dirt or sand would need to look at the QL of something else, or at skill.

Don't forget the ability to select how many you want to drop/remove from the pile :P

I was thinking that it would work almost exactly like water.  Use the fill command to move from container to container, or drag and drop the whole pile to a container or inventory and have it autofill.  The only difference would be that you would require a shovel to dig 20kg at a time and place it in your inventory, where it would merge.

I was thinking that it would work almost exactly like water.  Use the fill command to move from container to container, or drag and drop the whole pile to a container or inventory and have it autofill.  The only difference would be that you would require a shovel to dig 20kg at a time and place it in your inventory, where it would merge.

might be easier on the people to just add one command:

- Take X (where you get a screen to select X, or a submenu with several numbers to chose from)

It could be done like with water, but it might be very hard to get 20kg of dirt that way, and you could even get less then 20kg of dirt. With sand if you drop 2kg of sand, it works as if you dropped 20kg of sand, I assume the same would go for digging. The problem with that should be quite obvious if the water system is used since you could turn 1 20kg dirt into 20, or more, dirts.

You would have to make it take 1 item worth of weight at a time, no less.

It would just need to only let you withdraw item amounts, and not weight amounts - make it so adding dirt to a charcoal pile removes 20kg of dirt etc.

Dirt should not be split into anything smaller than 20kg amounts.

You would have to make it take 1 item worth of weight at a time, no less.

It would just need to only let you withdraw item amounts, and not weight amounts - make it so adding dirt to a charcoal pile removes 20kg of dirt etc.

Just create a check.  If you drop less than 20kg of dirt, it does not change the height of the tile, or change the tile types it was dropped on.  "Too little dirt was dropped to make a difference, at least 20 weight of dirt was required"

Yea but sand can be

Yea but sand can be

Yup, I'm building a bit of a stone house now actually, until I got booted off the internet by my ISP

Sand can already be combined, but as far as I know it can't be split, other than to make mortar from it?

Just create a check.  If you drop less than 20kg of dirt, it does not change the height of the tile, or change the tile types it was dropped on.  "Too little dirt was dropped to make a difference, at least 20 weight of dirt was required"

If terraforming and charcoal piles both require 20kg to actually have them work, there isn't any reason to let players split dirt to less than 20kg.

first things first....

i've asked in game and been told decay is server wide.... why?

why not have limiting code put in, so decay increases in areas of the server where there are more items, stays normal where they are at a balanced level, and lowered in areas where they are low.

that way, the poor hermit that lives in the middle of nowhere enjoys a slower form of decay, and those that live in a community have a higher rate of decay..... only if they go overboard on items though..... for example to the east of us there is currently close to a 1000 felled trees(soon to be alot more). so id expect the decay rate in that area to be higher, than in an area with say only a few.

high decay when you live on your own is a deal breaker.

that way, the poor hermit that lives in the middle of nowhere enjoys a slower form of decay, and those that live in a community have a higher rate of decay.....

I have nothing against hermits, but I don't see why they should get special treatment.

So, if you live somewhere and lots of other people decide to settle in the area too, your stuff should suddenly start to decay faster even though there is nothing you can do to stop those people from settling there (talking with Freedom in mind here)? Doesn't sound like a good idea, just let the decay be equal everywhere.

well a major improvement for part of this would be  silos  these are specialized buildings for storing  things like seeds  and vegetables  with much lower decay

high decay= more volume    if you know that 30 are gonna rot on you  then you better keep 300 around at all times

the next thing is  partly the fault of grinding

you need 20 boards per wall  so a 4x4 needs 160  so projects need to have massive amounts available  and also to level up the skill also requires massive volumes  the code actually encourages mass production

think of it like  an elephant and rabbits

elephants have a low "decay" rate  so  they only have one offspring

while rabbits have a very high "decay" rate  so they have many offspring to make up for the losses.

you also have a specialized tool for everysingle task  you have a carging knife and a bucher knife,  why not just have a "knife"?  or at least a duel knife could be designed in creation maby as a higher skill more durable knife.