Sign in to follow this  
Redd

Father and mother stay shown on examine on horse.

Now that interbreeding negatives have been added, it would be great to know the mother and father of the horse even past when they have died. This is so we know which ones we can breed with what so we do not interbreed.

For those confused - the mother and father vanish off the horse on examine when they die.

Hm, question is - does siblings count as inbreeding in the new system?

Do the parents matter anymore once they are killed off?

Now that interbreeding negatives have been added, it would be great to know the mother and father of the horse even past when they have died. This is so we know which ones we can breed with what so we do not interbreed.

For those confused - the mother and father vanish off the horse on examine when they die.

This makes sense from a rl perspective, but I think this would require a ton more data be stored in the database.

I think the way breeding may be coded now, once the parents are dead you need no longer bother about interbreeding. With the parents gone, there's no longer any link between siblings in the database and therefore it can't tell whether they are actually siblings or not. So at that point I'd guess that you can freely breed them without worrying about eventual negative consequences.

I think the way breeding may be coded now, once the parents are dead you need no longer bother about interbreeding. With the parents gone, there's no longer any link between siblings in the database and therefore it can't tell whether they are actually siblings or not. So at that point I'd guess that you can freely breed them without worrying about eventual negative consequences.

Of course we can't test this on Freedom yet, but it's my understanding that if you don't want inbreeding, you have to kill the parents. This will make people only keep a small amount of horses instead of having 20 to breed to prevent the problem. If you think about it you got 3 choices:

1- keep breeding everything you got until your horses come out with 2 heads and 7 legs....

2- kill the parents to prevent inbreeding thus keeping your heard low (believe to be the intended)

3- travel to your neighbor to breed (which in time will become more of a hassle than a solution)

So I believe than inbreeding was implemented to keep numbers on herds low by "forcing you" to cull your herds on the regular basics.

How do you know how's the "family" relation between horses stored? Maybe they have direct link to each other, so killing parent's won't help. If they can have 2 links to mum and dad, why not to brother/sister.

I have a feeling the "interbreeding" system is going to be VERY primitive.

I am leaning heavily on the fact that the game will only go so far as to check whether horse A is a parent/offspring of horse B. Basically, don't breed kid with parent. Uncle, grandparent, cousin... all that probably won't be detected.

as rolf stated interbreeding fades on the 3rd bloodline which means this:

using an example

Mother: huntingpot

father: rainice

2 foals from those: westiron happyrock

these 4 horses cannot breed with eachother, because of the following: westiron and happyrock carry the names of the mother and father, now if westiron or happyrock would be bred with a different horse lets say huntingnada, a foal comes: icenorth, he holds the parents: happyrock + huntingnada, this means gamewise it has no relationship to huntingpot or rainice, thus can breed with it...

basically the parents of the horse + the foals of the parents cannot breed with eachother.

hope that explanation is a bit clear

I keep an Excel spread sheet on my horses.  Very usefull

Ruriko

How do you know how's the "family" relation between horses stored? Maybe they have direct link to each other, so killing parent's won't help. If they can have 2 links to mum and dad, why not to brother/sister.

I agree, Rolf seems to favor more direct approaches.

The brute force, simple method would be to check to verify that there are no matches between the mother's creature ID # and her parent's #s against the same numbers for the father.

• [o]Compare foal's grandfathers
    [o]Compare foal's grandmothers
    [o]Compare foal's father to maternal grandfather
    [o]Compare foal's mother to paternal grandmother

4 IF statements.

I'd frankly be shocked if creature ID#s were not being recycled, so I have to agree it seems most likely that if a horse's parent is not listed (deceased, # reassigned to a new spawn) it does not matter anymore.

Aye been wondering if the parents mattered once they died.

I noticed yesterday, was going to watch today to confirm but it appears that while the parent is alive its offspring also report its status too, I had a horse go diseased and one of its offspring reported the mother as diseased. The mother father bits should just state horse names.

I noticed yesterday, was going to watch today to confirm but it appears that while the parent is alive its offspring also report its status too, I had a horse go diseased and one of its offspring reported the mother as diseased. The mother father bits should just state horse names.

Perhaps one could place the tag (deceased) beside each of the parents as they have been killed off, whilst not confusing it with any other horse of the same name/age, thus you know where they came from and can hopefully avoid interbreeding. :)

I would right down the parents regardless of this change. It makes sense and seems right but doesn't change anything for me or provide additional useful information.

Now if we where give an in-game breeding map, that would be super cool. I know this type of thing is readily available but I prefer in-game GUIs.