Sign in to follow this  
Vazzaroth

Can mods move an expired player to Freedom from Wilds?

My account expired after I moved to JK. This is mostly because I didn't really like the desolation of Wilds. Now I'm tempted to go join the Massivly village on Freedom, but I am stuck unable to log in. I was unable to find any support features on Wurm's site. How could I go about appealing for a character move, or even a day (or hour?) premium status so I can warp back?

Hmm far as I know GMs dont do such; however, I could be wrong. Offhand you will prob end up paying for the least amount of premium and make the move yourself.

Well If thats the case... Guess I'm not playing Wurm any more!  :-\

It's an interesting game, but I'm already planning on Subbing to LOTRO, and I don't want to but 2 months of time for something that will take less than 20 mins...

So..... you want to go to freedom, as a non-prem, and you expect the devs/GM's to spend their time and effort moving your character and get no profit in return? I don't think you will get any special help with this, so if you prefer going to LOTRO instead of going prem on Wurm, go ahead.

GM do not have the ability to move players across servers.

Sorry

So..... you want to go to freedom, as a non-prem, and you expect the devs/GM's to spend their time and effort moving your character and get no profit in return? I don't think you will get any special help with this, so if you prefer going to LOTRO instead of going prem on Wurm, go ahead.

Why yes, I was kind of hoping that one mod could spend 5 mins to help a player who's already spent $15 on the game and may in the future. Moreover, it's more about the fact that they just leave players in my situation in limbo. I would think a company wanting to come across as professional would have a tool made for this sort of thing by now.

And I don't know why you make it sound like we can only play one MMO at a time. I'd love to play both, but I have a number of high skills that I don't particularly want to start over on, and punishing a player who has supported the game in the past just seems rather unwise.

Oracle: So I imagine the hope of being reactivated for a very short time to move myself is out then? Barring that slim hope, I guess my question has been answered sufficiently.

Well, honestly, it seems if you had any intention of paying for the game in the future, you would buy at least 1 month+5s now.

I think your sort of missing the point. It's not about my personal spending. I may spend more, I may not. But the current system essentially ransoms our player from us. If there was no free option, that would be acceptable (or just a limited trial). In any free to play game (Which is what Wurm advertises itself as) you need to have a way for on-again off-again players to come back and have a chance to remember what they liked about the game, and these types of players are a growing majority of gamers willing to pay for MMO's due to the large selection in the market currently.

Additionally, what I'm being told right now is that players who support the game for a time and then, for one reason or another, stop are lower-statused and less important than free players who have never payed after months of playing. That's not exactly fostering a sense of player appreciation. And if you want to approach it from a strictly monetary, activision-esqe perspective, having free players is far better than having users who would like to play but are unable to. Especially since the chances of a free player paying should increase the longer they play, due to the skill level caps. In otherwords, I'm not even given that chance to work through my "free skill levels" and decide whether I'm still enjoying it enough to sub like the other free players are able to, because I decided I wanted to support indie MMO development and also was curious to see what the Wilds were like.

The whole idea being that it's these sort of quirks that really, really show Wurm's current status as a low budget pet project of a guy, and I don't really think the game has the potential to grow any faster than it's current sluglike pace while these sorts of issues persist (Although not this one issue, obviously).

http://wurmonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=44310.0

If you want to play for free after your premium runs out you can do so but you'll have to buy premium and switch servers as O pointed out that they can not move the account.

If I remember correctly WoW provides server moves for a fee so comparing wurm to other mmo's does not change the fact your paying 10e or 14usd for two months of play time when WoW or any other game for that matter would charge you that for a month and tack on another fee to move your account to another server.

Wurm is not advertised as a free game. In a quote from Rolf(not sure where to find it) he said something along the lines of Wurm was never intended to be free, having it free is just meant as a trial phase for whether or not the player will stay. Also, i do see your point now, and i think if the devs had any power to do this for you, they should.

if the character (name) was important to you, prem it, otherwise just create a new one.

http://wurmonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=44310.0

If you want to play for free after your premium runs out you can do so but you'll have to buy premium and switch servers as O pointed out that they can not move the account.

If I remember correctly WoW provides server moves for a fee so comparing wurm to other mmo's does not change the fact your paying 10e or 14usd for two months of play time when WoW or any other game for that matter would charge you that for a month and tack on another fee to move your account to another server.

There is a very big difference, however, between a game that limits all content to the sub (WoW) and a game where you can access quite a large chunk of the game without paying anything and only certain advanced or niche features are unlocked with the sub (Wurm). I understand Wurm is mainly meant to be a subscription game, but you can't deny freedom isles is regarded as the FREE server.

I am mainly just expressing my surprise that the developers don't either already have a GM tool to accomplish this, or have an automated system to ask if you'd like to move back to Freedom Isles. I know it's hard for the internet to understand this, but I'm not saying this one feature that affected me personally is going to spell the downfall of the entire game. It just feels like I'm being punished for spending my money too early before I really NEEDED it to surpass the cap, and for finding out I wasn't that interested in Wilds or PvP once I got there.

And yes my name is important to me, I use it everywhere and it's my name on the Massively site.

You want a business to help you not spend money on them? Nice try.

I'm sure the denizens of the freedom server sob at your absence.

but you can't deny freedom isles is regarded as the FREE server.

I look at it like a premium server thats nice enough to let people play on it for free with limited abilities.

I swear, non-premiums who feel entitled are peculiar indeed. attitudes like this make me question my own support of freebies on freedom

Comparing wurm to sharded mmos does not work, as wurm had free inter server travel before.

This is more a case of deliberately trying to rip off returning customers after screwing them over with the raiding disaster.

This might surprise you, but as a business you get more money if you make returning and trying out as easy as possible. Not allowing returning players back is the equivalent of putting a sign on the street saying "NEVER COME BACK WE DON'T WANT YOU".

Comparing wurm to sharded mmos does not work, as wurm had free inter server travel before.

This is more a case of deliberately trying to rip off returning customers after screwing them over with the raiding disaster.

Oracle has allready answered the question asked.

We cannot move an account.  we have no ability to move an account.  we cant even grant play time to an account.

One thing to remember is that none of the GM's in wurm are paid employees. As such, and IMO rightfully so, we have some pretty strict limits placed on what we can and cannot access as far as the database is concerned. We can do very little with an account that is not logged into the game, and you need play time to log into wild.

Additionally moving accounts from freedom to wild and vice versa in game through the portals causes most inventory to be left behind. The game checks to see what can and cannot be moved -as the move is happening- and stores what cannot go in a file on the server the player is coming from so that it will be in inventory when the player returns.

I'm not going to try to guess how much of that could be re-used in some sort of tool for GM's to pop people from one server to another, but i will say that there are other things i would prefer for ROLF to spend his time working on. (epic, a second freedom server, bridges -- (hint hint), etc etc )

In no way shape or form are we saying  "NEVER COME BACK WE DON'T WANT YOU"  You chose to go to a server where premium time is required to log in. the fact that there is a server you can play on without prem time does not change that fact. Its also not like you have no other options, We have no limit on the number of accounts you can have, so if you wish to play wurm again without spending money, you can simply create another account and run through the tutorial, then come to freedom.  See whats changed, look around a bit and check out some of the new features. If after that you feel its worth the investment, buy some prem time and transfer your existing character.