Sign in to follow this  
zehive

Is it just me

Or does anyone else think that the effects of all the intricacies of wurm should all be properly amassed? the wiki is absolutely starved of the helpful information of things like the combat system and all the little ways of fighting that help you preform better, not to mention skill grinds and what have you, its all very poorly documented i think.. anyone else think so?

I agree and I blame it on the hassle of getting your own wiki account. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure it isn't as easy as signing up. Pretty sure you have to request your account. Whatever the deal is, it was too much of a PITA for me to deal with. Open wiki-ing for everyone might fix this issue a little bit. I know opening it up to everyone runs the risk of lots of misinformation, but that misinformation will be fixed by others. Plus the damn wiki is full of misinformation already.

Plus the damn wiki is full of misinformation already.

so much this, i read some of the things and then realize that a lot of it is absolutely wrong and unhelpful in every single way.

Yea, the wiki fails in very many ways.  Most of the stuff I've learned about skill grinding and pvp related stuff, was from friends who learned the ins and outs themselves.

I mean hell, I think the last time I read one of the fighting pages on the wiki it still said studded leather was the best pvp armor lol

You can make an individual HOW-TO guide on some topic you don't think is covered very well, post it either on a web page or even a forum thread, and the wiki could link to it. Or even make your own website on some topic you think is not covered well. Also I am not sure but does the wiki "discussion" page allow people to add info they think needs to be updated? If so, start posting stuff there for someone to add in.

I am sure there could be better depositories of info in an ideal world, but in this game (and in most content-heavy games I've ever played), its up to the fanbase to do that, and sometimes just one very motivated individual. Look at Thottbot for wow, Maggie for old Asheron's Call etc, those were fan made projects. I created a site,  Petopia for wow hunters, because no one else was compiling the info that I personally wanted to see compiled (a friend now runs the site since I left that game). Most of the gaming guides on the internet, were done by only one or two people initially. If you make a good guide, people will come to it.

Personally -- and maybe because I am not much into combat or pvp -- I think the wiki does a pretty dang good job. But the only way it is going to get better, is if the players make it better.  

If the suggestion is simply to make wiki editing easier for people to access, thats probably a good suggestion to make to the people running the wiki. I am sure their initial concern was to prevent people from adding "junk" info. But in the meantime, start using the wiki discussion pages to bring info to their attention.

But if someone out there is motivated to make the best Wurm guide ever, even and especially on specialized topics like combat and pvp, and post it up on a website someplace,  I don't think there is one of us out here who would not be very very grateful for their efforts.

Wurm really doesn't seem to have many fan made guides and websites like other games. Maybe the wiki even did such an adequate job that it made the player base itself a little complacent in this.

Getting a wiki account is simple, just PM Enki saying you want one, that's it.

Whine much? It's player made. If the wiki sucks so badly, get off your lazy behind, get a login and help update it.

Whine much? It's player made. If the wiki sucks so badly, get off your lazy behind, get a login and help update it.

I disagree with the notion that it SHOULD be the responsibility of the player base to document this game.  Every time Rolf changes some sub-system of Wurm, we have to endure days and sometimes weeks of speculation, misinformation, and just plain confusion as to the facts and figures of the changes made.  Rolf should document his game!!!  Everybody knows that a game like Wurm is simply a game of numbers.  IMHO, it adds nothing to the experience to inject confusion into the math.  IMHO, it takes away nothing from the experience if we know what the real numbers are.  How many people play other types of games without knowing the rules?  It's ridiculous and frankly, I'm tired of guessing.  The game takes enough of my time as it is.  Making a person guess only frustrates the experience.

- 2 bits from a two-year veteran.

I like how new updates have to be figured out by players. Adds some realism to the game, IMO.

I think it's fine that the players have to discover how the world works. There's no "manual to the live, the universe and everything" IRL either. Sience has to figure it out on their own.

However I'd like to see more changelogs so players know if anything needs to reevaluated again. That way we'd even know if a change is by design or by bug.

I think it's fine that the players have to discover how the world works. There's no "manual to the live, the universe and everything" IRL either. Sience has to figure it out on their own.

However I'd like to see more changelogs so players know if anything needs to reevaluated again. That way we'd even know if a change is by design or by bug.

I like how new updates have to be figured out by players. Adds some realism to the game, IMO.

No, the current wiki system is great. Otherwise, there is nothing stopping people from making an untraceable wiki account and completely destroying the wiki. Then, if someone really hated us, they could play hero and fix all the misinformation they put in there with their main wiki account.

Whoa you are so busted Budda, you and your fellow conspirators. Curse them for making it so tricky...putting it on the front page where nobody will ever see it. And how dare they tell you who to contact? What if you don't want to contact Eir? Maybe you want to contact the Pope! The Pope should have admin rights. Admin rights and telepathy. So he knows when you want an account since sending him a PM is just way to much effort compared to actually contributing to the wiki. Unless of course you're a little kid, when a telepathic Pope might be creepy. But if you were a kid you'd probably not contribute to the wiki anyway.

Waiter, uno mas por favor!

The Pope should have admin rights. Admin rights and telepathy. 

and on the front page of the wiki:

Contact Eir for a wiki account. Please do not contact Rolf and Egal about Wiki accounts.

I disagree with the notion that it SHOULD be the responsibility of the player base to document this game.  Every time Rolf changes some sub-system of Wurm, we have to endure days and sometimes weeks of speculation, misinformation, and just plain confusion as to the facts and figures of the changes made.  Rolf should document his game!!!  Everybody knows that a game like Wurm is simply a game of numbers.  IMHO, it adds nothing to the experience to inject confusion into the math.  IMHO, it takes away nothing from the experience if we know what the real numbers are.  How many people play other types of games without knowing the rules?  It's ridiculous and frankly, I'm tired of guessing.  The game takes enough of my time as it is.  Making a person guess only frustrates the experience.

- 2 bits from a two-year veteran.

The Wiki has a lot of good information about how to create objects. I still refer to it when I forget how to start making some things and "What's this?" in game dosen't have the pertinent facts. Sure, it could be improved by some motivated individuals. (avoids responsibility)

I miss when if you didnt just learn to figure out yourself, you quit.

*sigh*

Hello,

An argument that the players should discover how features works is silly. Half the time something gets released and announced then is changed unannounced later.

For a game in beta it is even more silly because how can us, the testers , let you know if it is working?

You don't, and that creates the mess we have now.

-Touche