Sign in to follow this  
loris

Just started

Hi all,

I started to play Wurm Online yestarday. On the beginning I was really impressed. The freedom, the incredible number of crafting options, the huge world: everything seems to to tell me that this is the game I was looking for.

Then I started to play. I got lost twince in first hour. I didn't know where I was, what to do, where to go. I was in the middle of a huge ghost town in which i coudln't do anything. I had to suicide a couple of times until I found some nice guy that gave me a lantern and a compass.

Using that compass I was finally able to follow the road on south, hoping to find something different, but nothing has changed. Almost nobody but just some corpse around, no market, no quest, no idea of what to do. I can chop trees now, but to do what? What's the point of this game?

The concept of this game sounds amazing, but I feel it's almost impossible for a new player to understand what is going on. Give me some clue, some target, some ideas because the feeling of getting lost and of don't know what to do is really strong and can push every new player to quit before he had even understood the game.

What do you suggest me to do?

Thanks

That's the beauty of this game, there is no task or quest, only what you set out to achieve, be that you own private residence somewhere, a bustling town, or to prepare yourself for PvP on the Wild server.

It would probably be a good idea in the short term to find a village that will take you in. There you can learn about the skills on offer, find out what you enjoy doing and come up with a goal for yourself (and I can guarantee you will start finding lots of other little goals along the way).

As for your direct question about trees, they are used to make shafts (in turn used to create all sorts of things from weapon and tool handles to practice dolls), planks, ship parts, tools (mallets, looms, so on and so forth) houses, fences, charcoal piles, shields, beds, quite apart from needing to remove them to terraform in some cases... and, well... the list goes on.

Probably is the beauty of the game once you know how is work. At the moment is just disappointing for me. Find a Village? What does that mean? Here around is full of houses, but I don't have any idea if it's a village or not and which one is.

I moved to south to find a place that is not occupied, but I have no skills so i can't do almost anything. I have no water so I'll probably die soon losing my lantern, my compass. I'm quite desperate: I wanted very much to play this game, but seems it doesn't want me.

Maybe it's not clear what I mean. What do I have to do in the first day to survive and start to learn the game? Is there any first steps guide?

Trust me: for a new player jump into Wurm world is really shocking, for many very good reasons, but also because you have no idea of what to do.

Are you still on the toturial or have you moved to the freedom server?

Eitherway, here is a quick guide to get things going : http://wurmonline.com/wiki/index.php?title=Basic_Knowledge#Getting_started

The freedom to do what you want in this game is very dominating, and as a result of that, there are very few things you MUST do, so there are no static quests, but there are 1000's of things to do to improve. If you need money for a settlemet, ask around, perhaps some one needs some wood chopped or some dirt dug, and is willing to pay a bit for it. Or if you need a tool in a quality you are not able to make your self yet, perhaps some one who can make it needs some fish caught or something.

But there are a few things that is an almost Must, like being able to survive, stay safe, get food, and figure out how to use different tools :)

Stay safe when its dark, dont try to find your way around at night. Nights in wurm are dark, very dark, and you can very easily get lost and supprised by something hungry.

The beginning is the hardest, as soon as you have the tools, food and safty you need, (the easiest way to get this is to join an established settlement/town on freedom) you will have a very large skill tree to unlock and hopefully alot of fun.

The tutorial should have given you a good idea of the techniques you need to survive, but finding a village to join is really the simplest way to get on your feet. There will generally be a food supply and it offers you a safe environment to get your skills up.

You cannot die from hunger or thirst, you will merely be somewhat incapacitated - food is easy enough, you'll fast while you have fat layers (examine your body in your inventory to see how you're doing there), but it's a good idea to make sure you're always somewhere near water (or make a pottery jar to carry some in).

You can get free food and drink from the Bartender in Freedom Market (Just up the hill from the starting location) for your first 24 hours in-game.

Ok, maybe it's me, but this game seems really against new players.

Now it's night so the only thing I can do is log out because everything is dark. You say find a village, but I can't find myself.

Built a house, but here is everything steep and I don't have skills to flatten, but just to get stucked and fall down.

I don't know what to say. I had the best feeling when I started play Wurm, but the first hours in the game are really confused and difficult. If you want to create a new player barrier you did a really good work because you need a lot of passion and patience to pass the first days.

on the forum go to recruitment thread. There are many villages accepting new players. They will help you along. You do not need to walk to find them they will generally give you instructions on how to get to them. Do not get discouraged. It is not like your regular MMO. Here people are around to help you.

Yes, the game can seem confusing, at night time there are plenty of things to do, you can mine, dig, cut wood, make planks, craft stuff and generaly improve the place you have chosen to stay.

The easiest way to find a town to join is asking in kchat, it pops up when as soon as someone says something, and people on freedom talk alt from what I have seen :P . If not, type /kchat that will open the chat. there is also a help chat called /ca.

Dont be affraid to ask, its general knowledge that new players often are confused and unccertain what to do. The learning curve of the game is very steap as there are so many posibilities. I guess that is the price of the freedom it provides.

Why don't you write "We don't want new players" on the homepage?

If you want to start to play Wurm now you must accept that for at least 2 days (that's my own experience) you won't have any fun, but just confusion and anger.

Honestly, after the first 2 days I need at least other 2 days without seeing it or I'm going to destory my keyboard.

Think about it...

Why don't you write "We don't want new players" on the homepage?

If you want to start to play Wurm now you must accept that for at least 2 days (that's my own experience) you won't have any fun, but just confusion and anger.

Honestly, after the first 2 days I need at least other 2 days without seeing it or I'm going to destory my keyboard.

Think about it...

As has been said, Wurm is a very different game so takes some getting used to.

Another completely new player started about 4 days ago and posted some queries about the game here.

There seems to be quite a difference in attitude between the two of you. if you shift your own perspectives, you may discover what the appeal of Wurm is.

Alternatively, it might just not be the right game for you. I'm not trying to turn you away, but there's no game that is universally popular.

Give it a few more days, ask specific questions rather than complain and I think you'll get drawn in :)

Hey Loris,

I can see the frustration you are having, I can feel the anger you are exuding and I must say,  I understand.

Seriously, I don't think there is a single player here that has not felt some of those emotions when they first started out and still do from time to time.

But keep in mind, this is not a little eye candy Korean made game where you just pop in and it leads you around by the hand.  If anything, Wurm is a survivalist game where you need to learn how to survive to thrive.

The game does not have a big in-game help system, though there is the CA Help channel where you can get just about any question answered if you just ask.  It does, however, have a fairly well filled out Wiki here==>> http://wurmonline.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The first major section of the Wiki has the Tutorials and Rulles section and I suggest you read the "Basic Knowledge" section and the "Beginner Tutorials" as well as glancing at the "Useful links for beginners"

You mentioned not being able to flatten a piece of ground, well, most likely that is due to not having spent enough time developing your digging skill to get it up enough to work the plot you want.  But that is covered in the "Flattening" section under "Beginner Tutorials"

Now for my shameless plug...in this very forum section, check out my "How to feed yourself" guide stickied at the top.  It will give you some very useful tips on some of the things you need to work on during your first 24hrs of game play.

And ASK questions in CA Help...Freedom Chat can be pretty rough so don't let that discourage you.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!!

Aodhan

Wurm is a brutal game. Nothing is easy and the lack of even the most basic "hand holding" makes it very hard to start out. The game has been out years and people still don't know how many things work.

My advice to you is to look in the village (i.e. clan, guild, etc) recruitment threads for a village to join. Try and get someone to sponsor you, meet you, lend you a helping hand and explain how things work. Wurm has a near insurmountable learning curve if you go at it alone.

The game definitely needs better explanations of how things work and what they do if it wants to grow in subscribers. Fortunately, there have been additions to help starting players such as the new tutorial and noob tools.

Yeh, i'd have to agree with the others on this. Wurm really is a community based game, especially at the start. So your best bet is definitely to join a village. After a short period of time, depending on how regularly you play and how helpful your village is, you should be fine to go off on your own and have a far better chance at surviving on your own. I would offer to help you personally, however I too am still new to the game and am learning.

Wurm is not an easy game and it isn't for everyone. Kind of reminds me of DF, you have to work hard for the fun, heh.

Wurm is not an easy game and it isn't for everyone. Kind of reminds me of DF, you have to work hard for the fun, heh.

I'm impressed! I was very angry and disappointed yestarday after I got lost and I had to suicide for the 3rd time and I express all my feelings in last message. I really didn't expect so much support and help. The community of this game seems really great and I had also example of this in game: kind and friendly people often ready to help and advice you.

I really want to play this game because even if I can't understand almost anything I have the feeling that is something special and I'll not give up so quickly.

If I'm allowed to give an advice, knowing that I'm completely ignorant about Wurm, I'd think that you should do something more to involve new player in first days in this game. The frustration for being aimless, lost and completely useless is, in my opinion, really strong in the first days.

Maybe we need some sort of "apprentice"  mentoring program where more experienced players can invite a new player to stay with them for a week or two, maybe even set up a small secure off-deed 2x1 shack & 3x4 fenced yard they can use as a training camp to assuage concerns about deed setting security. Make sure not too much or too little is given so the new player learns stuff on their own without frustration.  It wouldn't be required or part of the deal but I have a hunch a good portion of the ones who go premium from developing a positive start to the game, would end up sending their 3 silver referral reward to the person who gave them a good start with no obligations or strings attached. This isn't about getting a newbie to do chores  around the deed, only about helping the new player get a good start.

I have two premium characters, and both of mine happily gave their referrals to people who were exceptionally kind to them their first few days, looking out for them and helping them get a foothold into the game. I knew I could have sold those referrals instead, but to me getting a positive start to the game that helped me learn to love this game so much, was worth a whole lot more than any real or ingame currency.

Some people don't want to join a village because they worry about getting caught up in drama and obligations, or spending all their time being directed towards someone else's projects,  and what they really want instead is some independence and a chance to pick their own goals in the game. An apprentice program that made clear it was a shortterm deal with no strings or obligations attached to either side, might actually go over quite well.

Well from what I can gather the tutorial isn't actually finished yet. Perhaps when it's fully developed there will be enough information to get new players going, but I agree whole-heartedly with Loris. It's -very- daunting when you start off, more so than ever now you're thrown into the Freedom Server off the bat. At least in the old Golden Valley you didn't have to worry about Deeds and finding a space to build - free spots were relatively easy to find, and you could still stay close enough to the barman to get food and drink for the first 24 game hours.

The area around the starting point is so choked, new players struggle to find anywhere to call home and still stay within walking distance of the Barman. He seems a little obsolete given the sheer distance newbies have to walk to find a nice spot.

My main bit of advice is echoing everyone else I'm afraid. Persevere, ask questions, join a village that offers free food, and don't stray too far from the roads ;-) . Wurm is a gloriously fun and unique game, but the first few days are not easy if you're going it alone. Fortunately 90% of the people who play this game have gone through similar experiences and are happy to help.

If I'm allowed to give an advice, knowing that I'm completely ignorant about Wurm, I'd think that you should do something more to involve new player in first days in this game. The frustration for being aimless, lost and completely useless is, in my opinion, really strong in the first days.

That is part of the beauty of wurm, it doesn't tell you how to play. You determine what you want to get out of the game. It takes some time but eventually everyone finds their niche. Or you just wander around everywhere (which is perfectly fine as well).

That is part of the beauty of wurm, it doesn't tell you how to play. You determine what you want to get out of the game. It takes some time but eventually everyone finds their niche. Or you just wander around everywhere (which is perfectly fine as well).

I thought the tutorial got changed and pretty much guides you through the basic stuff now like creating your own tools etc?

Loris, do you have any suggestions of what could be usefull to add to said tutorial?

The current tutorial pretty much explains nothing. It teaches you to cut down a tree, chop it into logs, make a mallet, campfire and mine some rocks. Mentions in passing terrain, stamina, swimming and climbing, that's pretty much it.

Then a new player gets thrown into the Howl, with the closest chop-able tree being ~500 tiles away (i'm not joking here, i've started a new alt 2 days ago to see how bad is it to new players and there isn't any single undeeded tree anywhere)

From my poking the devs about it i heard that the tutorial is considered "complete" and no one is working on it anymore. (Please correct me if i'm wrong or something has changed in this regard)

From my poking the devs about it i heard that the tutorial is considered "complete" and no one is working on it anymore. (Please correct me if i'm wrong or something has changed in this regard)
You are indeed wrong on that aspect (probably just a misunderstanding). the sections of the tutorial you have been through are complete, but a lot of work is in progress to add more, such as fighting, cooking, religion etc. It is likely that this will take quite some time to accomplish, but please be assured that it is being worked on, more or less on a full time basis by one GM in particular (and of course others helping).