Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Creature deed protection

As you probably know there are features preventing venerable creatures from dying. Being on-deed, being led, tame (iirc), ridden or hitched all prevents old creatures from dying of age.

This is one of the reasons that the non-aggressive creature pool is full on freedom and nobody can breed new creatures.

I wouldn't mind removing these protections but I received a lot of resistance last time so question is what you think now?

How about stables? A database like the BSB's

I think it is time for stables and chicken coups. of which act like BSB's, you put the horses in, they are thrown into a separate database. You breed them and stick them into the stable, Have an inventory check list to see what horses you have in there that are currently pregnant. Same thing with chickens etc.

This could save a lot of space on the server, all it would need is a building, big stable house model, takes up like 3x3 area.

The mentioned code above could even be adapted to house animals on ships, think about it. Just a separate inventory for animals on board the ship.

Or just shift all non agro creatures to a new database on a different server?

Kill freedom all venerable horses because wild don't have that problem.

Edit:

And all the venerable animals.

Give everyone a week to kill their horde animal shouldn't have any problem doing it after wards.

Hmm so domestic births won't get reenabled till we surrender the hostages ^_^

I think maybe a 25% extended lifespan is the max needed for on-deed venerables (most are probably past that already).

Failing that, I vote for normal lifespans on or off deed.

Rolf please, if you must make any of these changes, KEEP IT OFF WILD!  We don't have these problems with the animals caps on WILD. 

It sucks enough as is that I have to try to breed even MORE horses, to get ones that are fast enough with chain barding because it's a REQUIREMENT for PVP, and my last horse that was perfectly fine with that is now useless for anything but breeding because it's venerable.

As you probably know there are features preventing venerable creatures from dying. Being on-deed, being led, tame (iirc), ridden or hitched all prevents old creatures from dying of age.

This is one of the reasons that the non-aggressive creature pool is full on freedom and nobody can breed new creatures.

I wouldn't mind removing these protections but I received a lot of resistance last time so question is what you think now?

remove the on deed protections for age.

animal age is animal age, on deed or off.

announce on the forums, in the launcher notes, and maybe even via in game event messages that

"Animals that are on deed will no longer be protected from death due to old age as of <insert day here>"

Give people about a week to cull thier own herds, get younger female animals (that will not die of age) bred  and then enact the change.

Kill all venerable at at once and lets get a fresh start with new rules. Maybe even kill all animals to make every one get same start conditions.

It is still hard for me to see how it is a solution that works in long run and demotivate people from hording. It only solve problem about forgotten animals.

None of you seem to understand, these changes are just going to negatively impact things just as bad.  With all the changes hoarders are going to keep more animals.  It's bad enough as is, young and adol HORSES not foals can't be bred, forcing you to have to keep more older horses you'd normally kill to continue breeding until the other ones are mature, and now that venerable ones would die on deed with the changes, you're forced to keep even MORE horses that you would normally kill, because the good ones will DIE at venerable.

Enough of the horrible updates, just raise the damn non aggro cap on freedom and call it a day.  Lower the aggro cap if you must for freedom, or force AGGRO only animals to die in the wild FASTER to fit in a lower aggro cap for freedom, and raise the non aggro cap.

If we are going to lose all of our venerable horses that we use to breed with.  The age that they are in the other stages needs to be increased.  It takes forever to get things where you can breed a decent horse and even then you get alot of duds.  Fix the way traits are passed or make it easier or something before you get rid of what folks have spent so long to get.  Yes, I am a breeder and yes, I have around 20 female horses on my deed and even with that I MIGHT get 1 horse that is worth keeping per breeding cycle. 

Why not lower the spawn rate of non aggro animals so that it isn't filling every available spot as soon as one is killed.

There is absolutely no reason why you would ask the community about that. Kill them all of, lets make it a little realistic. Old animals die, thats it, no magical protection from dying.

I say either go with the stable idea or set it back were you can breed at young and let them die off like two weeks after they have reached venerable. This way they can still give birth if any of them are pregnant when they turn venerable.

There is absolutely no reason why you would ask the community about that. Kill them all of, lets make it a little realistic. Old animals die, thats it, no magical protection from dying.

Fine, if we don't need to breed anymore just completely take it out.  I'd rather it be gone than have some half assed system that doesn't work anyway.

Technically, having old mobs die, would increase the need for breeding. And possibly old yeller references.

All venerable creatures should die after 2 weeks on deed or off.. the circle of life needs to be completed.  If the breeding wasn't stuck this would be sufficient time to breed a replacement. I mean why have the different ages at all if they have no benefits or in this case a death sentence..

Deeds should only protect them from theft not give them imortality..

Technically, having old mobs die, would increase the need for breeding.

As I'm already sick and tired about this, just wiped all the venerable non-agroos in one go and call it a day. Keep it on Freedom only and also remove the breeding cap for younger non agroo. Enough time has past for people to prepare for this, and if anyone didn't see this coming, oh well, it was bound to happen.

But while on this, also take a look at pathing as this bug report, cause is 50% part of the problem of the cap been full all the time - [bug 1425] http://wurmonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=53934.0

Technically, having old mobs die, would increase the need for breeding.

Which is exactly my point.  The non breeder, instead of being happy with his or her one/two venerable horses, now they have to breed them, creating even more animals that go against the cap so....

I say let the animals die a natural death so new ones can be born.

this artificial keeping alive of animals is just boring. and makes breeding of new ones nearly irrelevant.

instead of a static world we could have a dynamic one :)

maybe add some kind of trait that affects the lifespan of animals, som some live longer maybe 20% and some die younger -20% lifespan, so it isnt a fixed aged the animal will die at. but even if it is.. im fine with that.

animals could easily go through their entire life in a 4-6 months for all i care :) and then just drop dead of old age.

Maybe make it so that animals that drop dead of old age will start to disease nearby animals if not buried :) e.g. animal standing on a tile with a corpse will have a small chance to get sick every hour.. maybe 5% :)

Rolf please, if you must make any of these changes, KEEP IT OFF WILD!  We don't have these problems with the animals caps on WILD. 

It sucks enough as is that I have to try to breed even MORE horses, to get ones that are fast enough with chain barding because it's a REQUIREMENT for PVP, and my last horse that was perfectly fine with that is now useless for anything but breeding because it's venerable.

There is no reason not to on wild. This is not a case where the rules need to be different.