Sign in to follow this  
Budda

WPlanner V3.0.0 - Wurm Mapping Program - Patch for broken maps

A few comments. The feature you made to have a second instance perfer to the first. As a two monitor owner, please have a way to verride this, or I could not have a different map on each monitor. This occurs frequently in excel when I open a seond workbook, only to have to close it in the first instance, purposely launch a second instance, then load the workbook. Hope you understand what I mean.

Will add in that option now that you bring it up.

The new UI. Is the picker pane on the left going to have the tabs, or only show the tools for the selected tool. ie If you choose the object pencil, will the left pane show objects? It just seems that show the same tool three times (well some 4, pencil, eraser) might not work as well, perhaps all the tools and a dropdown for current set? radio button would mean all the text and too much room. UI is the worst at designing. Having difficulty with mine so I feel your pain. :)

Yeah I'm honestly still deciding what to do with it. I was going to just have the tools, then radio buttons to choose the edit mode, or get the mode from the tabs again, but couldn't decide. Either of those ways would mean I would have to disable certain buttons for each mode (I can't remember why, but I don't really like that option). I do agree that the thing I have currently is a bit...crowded.

The main thing I wanted to do was get the Overlay and Labels off of the tabs and into a proper toolbar.

But yeah, now that you bring it up, I'm not sure if I do want to keep this toolbar style.

If you are having trouble with your program, feel free to check out the code I have so far this time around: http://github.com/BuddaT/WPlanner

I think I pushed my changes as of last night.

I had the same prblem with Text and the Overlay. The color of the text can be chosen on the popup that asks you for the text, so that helped, only theres no popup when you paint an overlay, so how to set the color.  If you put the text and overlay as toolbar buttons, then you are pretty much forced to put the others as tool buttons or you hae a disparity of modes. It doesnt feel consistent.

Currently my UI is pretty much as you have yours now. Havent come up with a better one yet, although I have been consentrating more on getting the thing to work, then will fine tune the UI. Mine is written in .Net and so will be windows only, its not java (Although I do actually own a Macbook Pro).

I have referred to your code a couple times actually. But for the most part its completely re-written (Patterned off yours)

I had this vision for a world mode, that would show 9 maps in a 3x3 grid and let you scroll around the world, with filenames signifying each map square. That way a pixel perfect map could be generated from all the files. I actually did have a lot of it working, but as I ahve been adding features, its been harder to support and is currently disabled. When everything is working Im hopeing that it can be saved, but gotta get single mode working at the moment.

Its been fun writing, and I may be the only person using it :), but I can share with you some of the features I had added if you wanted to know

A few things:

1. How can i remove an overlay? The manual is a bit brief, but i don't think it covers this at all.

2. Any chance of an "Undo" option for when you make a mistake?

Really nice work so far. :)

A few things:

1. How can i remove an overlay? The manual is a bit brief, but i don't think it covers this at all.

Eraser should work for overlays.

New version I'm working on atm has undo/redo.

oh yeah that will be great

Everyone will be glad to know that I currently have undo/redo working perfectly for single terrain changes, and terrain fill changes.

Only needed to add ~500 lines of swing gui code to be able to test it....

On an unrelated note, I hate swing.

A few things:

Ah, i kind of meant a way to remove only the overlay and leave the terrain/tile underneath as it is. No big deal though. That undo feature will make the app pretty much perfect in my eyes anyway. Thanks man. :)

if you take the overlay color, and lower the opacity all the way down, then paint the overlay, it pretty much removes it (Well, actually, there is an overlay color, you just cant see it :) )

Does that help?

Ah, i kind of meant a way to remove only the overlay and leave the terrain/tile underneath as it is. No big deal though. That undo feature will make the app pretty much perfect in my eyes anyway. Thanks man. :)

Switch to the overlay tab, then use the eraser there. It won't touch the terrain, only overlays.

The easiest thing I've found to do is just slide the Overlay opacity setting all the way to the left and wipe over the color you want to remove.  I suppose you might have an invisible overlay there but visually it's the same as erasing.

The easiest thing I've found to do is just slide the Overlay opacity setting all the way to the left and wipe over the color you want to remove.  I suppose you might have an invisible overlay there but visually it's the same as erasing.

Not to mention that's all erasing does anyway =X

If you would like a copy of my Current program, I can send you one in email if you wish. Writing a help Doc now :)

When you do a Save As, the new file name should be recognized as the new default. I did a Save As, then kept doing a Save, only to find the original file was the one being updated in later saves instead of the new filename.

tryed to make a map for my village before posting it on forums for sale.. bad idea... spend 1 h counting tiles maping the whole village and when to fill the area around with grass the mother****** freezed on me.. ai't gona start all over...

please ad an autosave function wich saves every time u ad something or some stuff dunno but going trough all that and get a crash was realy dissapointin.......

autosave at a set timer is a good idea, let the user choose out of 1min, 5min, 10min, 30min and default to 10min.

Please include a 0 minute to disbale. I sometimes do experimenting in a map and do NOT want it to save. The last save point is my undo point.

Also note that when you currently save now a dialog comes up that you hae to click ok it. Would need to bypass that on an autosave, otherwise would be real annoying.

For things like Excel and Word docs and autosave is nice, but for Graphic type programs, I prefer to save the work myself at known points so that I can experiment and know where my undo point is. Autosaves tend to mess with that.

Also arent autosave typically done to a temp file and not the real file and then used for recovery as opposed to replacing the existing file. If it were implemented in that fashion, recovery only, I wouldnt need a 0 minute option.

Please include a 0 minute to disbale. I sometimes do experimenting in a map and do NOT want it to save. The last save point is my undo point.

Also note that when you currently save now a dialog comes up that you hae to click ok it. Would need to bypass that on an autosave, otherwise would be real annoying.

For things like Excel and Word docs and autosave is nice, but for Graphic type programs, I prefer to save the work myself at known points so that I can experiment and know where my undo point is. Autosaves tend to mess with that.

Also arent autosave typically done to a temp file and not the real file and then used for recovery as opposed to replacing the existing file. If it were implemented in that fashion, recovery only, I wouldnt need a 0 minute option.

i truly understand your point but as the title say this is mapper tool not paint/photoshop:P

anyway don't think it would be hard to make an autosave function.. or else try to find out why it crashes.. put some delays in execution procces of filling ppl would not mind if it took 2-3 sec to fill a 50x50 map.. they mind when that only thing ruins they'r entire work

also didn't noticed tree tiles.. did i missed them or they not in?

The "Save to image" function doesn't seem to be working for me, what to do?

Also, can't we pan around?

Why doesn't zoom keep the current centered area I am watching on the viewport?

Well, I've been without internet for the past couple of weeks, so that made me sit down and work on the new version, and good news is it is pretty much complete.

Just need a few days to get some people to test it out, then I'll chuck it up for downloading.

I'd like to think it is a lot more robust now, but there are probably a few bugs that I have missed, so I want to get them fixed up before putting the public download up.

Preview:

v3preview.PNG

Welcome back,

My version of the app is created and ready to go as well, but I really hate having two versions out there, some of the features in mine though may require rewriting or organization on yours. I would like to get you a copy of mine to check out and if you see anything you would like to incorporate into yours feel free. The main reason I wrote mine was I wanted some stuff yours didnt do, and well hey I just wanted a program to write as well.  :)

Looking forward to your new version, please let me know if you would like a pre-copy of mine.

Nivox

I made a map on wurmplanner. now I cant access it in the saved folder. and when i start up the client its listen there as saved maps.. but i click on it and it doesnt load up all the way. and i move the mouse over the white parts and what is supposed to be there turns up. but only on the buttons. not on the finished map. I dont know whats going on or what to do. Please help. Thanks

@baileytheferret:

When making a new map, if you still have problems saving the file, please run the program from cmd line:

java -jar WPlanner.jar

and paste the error message in this thread.

It's kind of impossible to figure out the problem just going off "it doesn't work".

@bgantzler

Sounds good. Jump into #wplanner on IRC some time and we'll have a chat.

EDIT:

V3.0.0 is up for download.

Most things changed I cannot remember, so here is the changelog...

Changelog:

05/11/2011 - v3.0.0
* Rewrote entire program (.wpm maps no longer supported)
* Now a lot more robust - various small improvements everywhere
* Added Undo/Redo feature

Please do post if you have any problems, there has been some testing going on, but still minimal and there are bound to be a bug or two hidden somewhere.

Great program - looking forward to using it.

Bugs Found:

When you click launch program at the end of installation, the program doesn't start.

Great application, incredibly helpful but it would really benefit from adding more fences/walls and objects as well as resizing the objects so they are proportionality correct tiles as Wurms sizes are so we can easily fully plan the environment.

Great program - looking forward to using it.

Bugs Found:

When you click launch program at the end of installation, the program doesn't start.

Possibly due to the installer not having admin rights?

I know the only reason I've come across a not launching problem is due to not being run as admin (for at least the first time when files need to be created).

Great application, incredibly helpful but it would really benefit from adding more fences/walls and objects as well as resizing the objects so they are proportionality correct tiles as Wurms sizes are so we can easily fully plan the environment.

You can add/edit the objects/fences in the data/objects and data/fences folders. Everything in there will be loaded automatically. Just keep in mind that each image is the size of a tile (with the exception of <name>_l images which are 2x2 in size. If you open up an image you want bigger/smaller, selet the actual image part and resize it according to the whole image, it will be as you wish.

If you add images, try make them come alphabetically after the z_<colour> images, as the map saves the images as ids in aplhabetical order as opposed to the name of the image.

Dont want to sound like a complete nub, but havent been in IRC in maybe a decade :) How do you gett there nowadays.

Tried the IRC option from the main page, but it either doesnt come back, or gives me a page problem.