Sign in to follow this  
Budda

WPlanner V3.0.0 - Wurm Mapping Program - Patch for broken maps

logo.png

WPlanner - Wurm Online Mapping Program

Download Link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wprograms/files/WPlanner/

WPlanner is a standalone program for planning out maps for Wurm. It works much like the old online mapper in the sense that you choose the tile image, then click on the map to place it.

It includes terrain, objects and fences, an overlay layer for highlighting areas, and placing labels.

v3preview.PNG

Download Link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wprograms/files/WPlanner/

Github Link (Source): https://github.com/BuddaT/WPlanner

Patch for broken maps (as of March 2012):

http://buddat.net/wplanner/WPlanner.jar

Download the above file, and paste it over the WPlanner.jar that is in the install directory of WPlanner.

This should fix problems some maps were having after recent tile updates in-game.

Troubleshooting:

* When running WPlanner, if nothing happens, right click WPlanner.exe and choose "Run as Administrator".

* If you have problems when installing version 3, try uninstalling any old versions first.

* If you edit the config file and end up breaking something, simply delete the config file and run WPlanner again to create the default one.

* Any other questions or problems, post in this thread, or join #wplanner in IRC.

Changelog:

05/11/2011 - v3.0.0
* Rewrote entire program (.wpm maps no longer supported)
* Now a lot more robust - various small improvements everywhere
* Added Undo/Redo feature

01/08/2011 - V2.0.7
* Fixed bug with saving map after using the cancel button to clear a label

16/07/2011 - V2.0.6
* Fixed bug where deleted fences could corrupt map

15/07/2011 - V2.0.5
* Fixed an amazingly annoying and illogical bug that made my brain melt and die (also caused map corruption)
  - You will have to start from converting the old .wpm maps again since the 2.* maps haven't actually FULLY worked until now (hopefully)

06/07/2011 - V2.0.4
* Fixed bug with new installs not being able to save correctly

04/07/2011 - V2.0.3
* Fixed bug with some tiles from old maps saving blank, and a crash bug.
  - Maps saved with 2.0.0 and 2.0.2 may not open any longer, old maps will still convert to the new format.

04/07/2011 - V2.0.2
* Fixed Save to Image to show the whole map instead of just the area you see

01/07/2011 - V2.0.0
* Changed file format for the maps, and ext to .wp2
  - WPlanner still loads the .wpm files fine. When it loads those files, it will convert it to the new format automatically.
* Rewrote fill algorithm
* Allowed fences on cave layer
* Various other fixes that came as a result of changing the map format
* Labels restricted to 32chars

20/06/2011 - V1.7.3
* Fixed bug with loaded maps not loading with correct name in some cases

15/06/2011 - V1.7.2
* Fixed bug with Save to Image not saving the whole map
* Fixed bug with scroll bars not working after loading a map

08/06/2011 - V1.7.1
* Fixed bug when loading maps

07/06/2011 - V1.7.0
* Added label to to right hand corner with x/y tile position of the mouse
* Added fill pop-up that shows when fill is taking a while to show the progress
* Added text colour button for labels (separated from overlay colour)
* Added right click to choose tile (same as picker tool)
* Moved fence layer above misc layer
* Fixed CPU problem with window larger than the map (really this time)
* Reverted fix from previous version that changed the window size. Windows can now be any size
* Fixed problem with drawing large maps, now only draws the tiles you can see
* Changed max map size from 5000x5000 to 512x512 due to memory problems with larger maps
* Changed the .exe to request 512MB RAM at start-up to handle large maps

04/06/2011 - V1.6.0
* Added Eraser tool - sets image on current tab to default (_blank)
* Added buttons for Zoom In/Zoom Out
* Added buttons for changing layers - Top and Cave
* Added ability to zoom in/out using Ctrl+Scroll
* Added keyboard shortcuts for all tools/buttons
* Added help menu with link to help file (pdf) - Shortcut is F1
* Added About dialog to help menu
* Adjusted some fence images so they stand out more
* Fixed bug with program grinding to a halt with too many blank terrain images
* Fixed bug with fill tool causing stack overflow if map was too large
* Fixed bug with zooming out causing CPU usage spike
* Fixed bug with resizing causing CPU spike
* Dragging the window to resize may now make the window spaz out when larger than the map. Everything will still work fine, it just has a major spaz. Once you stop resizing, it will snap back to the map size and all will be well again.

03/06/2011 - V1.5.1
* Added the fill tool
* Added the "picker" tool
* Fixed a bug causing CPU to spike when window was resized larger than the map area

I was told to include a donate button, so on the off chance you love this program so much you would like to donate some money, use the link below:

Paypal_DonateButton.gif

• Like 1

you are using 512x512 textures take right out of game files? Try to scale them, really what's the point of loading 512 size when you display it as 32?

Some ideas:

Text labels, place either on a specific spot or selecting an area - this is #1 feature i miss in the current mapper.

Export to (jpg/png) image, also allow user to specify zoom level when exporting.

Deed planning - place a token and set size in ingame terms (n/s, e/w) and have it draw deed border/perimeter.

Terraforming calculator -  after the user enters slopes for tile borders he can select an area and see how much dirt he'll need to dig/drop to flatten/raise/lower it to some level.

I'll add more later if i think of anything.

you are using 512x512 textures take right out of game files? Try to scale them, really what's the point of loading 512 size when you display it as 32?

Already have. They are scaled down to 128x128 when they are first loaded, just in case you want to zoom that far in.

Some ideas:

Text labels, place either on a specific spot or selecting an area - this is #1 feature i miss in the current mapper.

Export to (jpg/png) image, also allow user to specify zoom level when exporting.

Deed planning - place a token and set size in ingame terms (n/s, e/w) and have it draw deed border/perimeter.

Terraforming calculator -  after the user enters slopes for tile borders he can select an area and see how much dirt he'll need to dig/drop to flatten/raise/lower it to some level.

I'll add more later if i think of anything.

Good ideas.

For the text labels for spots/areas, would an overlay/highlighted layer that supports labels work? Thinking having as many layers as you want, each can be whatever colour highlight you want, and you can enable/disable them as you please to see certain overlays.

Not meaning to sound a bit standoffish here, but... don't we have Discon's mapper for this?

Not meaning to sound a bit standoffish here, but... don't we have Discon's mapper for this?

Seeing that the mapper that is linked to from the wiki is fairly outdated (last time I looked anyway, my bad if it was updated recently), and has a few shortcomings, I've started making this program to be another, easier to use, full featured mapper.

Most important to me is exporting to image and basic text boxes (to label things).

Also cool would be selecting and copy pasting. Spreadsheets have this, which is a major draw.

Have an option to show the cave layer at the same time as the surface, with both at half transparency.

basic text boxes (to label things).

Give me arrows too, pointy arrows.

Good luck getting pictures for all the different items in the game, I'll try and help out if i can.

Can't wait till this is done, the other mapper I have difficulty using and I can't save or increase the map size, it all gets too confusing  :'(

Will maps made with mapper be able to be read into this one? Thinking especially of the text-save/load feature of mapper, seeing I use that to spread around updates to others by email.

I will certainly want to use this by the looks of it, thanks for your work :)

I like the idea of a new program. I loved Discon's but it's definitely outdated.

Please have the ability to enable and disable the grid for screenshots. :)

Also, can you please make middle mouse button (mouse3) have the same functionality as right click (mouse2) does so I can drag around with the middle mouse instead? I'm much more used to it. ;)

Looking forward to the upgrade. ;D

All I can do is quote Duke Nukem: "It's about time!" *grin*

Thanks for this, really. Old Mapper is good but.... old... I'm also glad to see you're taking requests on features!

Here's one I can think of straight away (more will come I'm sure):

* Ability to resize map in any given direction, that is i.e. add more lines on top, bottom or columns on sides, user's choice.

Very nice dude, this is awesome.

Do you still play on freedom? I have a few questions java related.

Awesome ideas everyone, I have added them all to the OP, just so I have an easy record for all of them.

Will maps made with mapper be able to be read into this one? Thinking especially of the text-save/load feature of mapper, seeing I use that to spread around updates to others by email.

I will certainly want to use this by the looks of it, thanks for your work :)

I was thinking instead of that, having a built in uploader thing, that will upload the map for you, and give you the link. Then when you download, or 'run' the map (.wpm) files, it opens in WPlanner automatically (like how .txt files open in Notepad automatically etc).

The way the maps are currently saved is just by saving the current state of the map as a whole, then loading it in as it was. No real easy way to give it text saving/loading.

Very nice dude, this is awesome.

Do you still play on freedom? I have a few questions java related.

Currently on a break, heh.

You should be able to catch me on irc most days, just try /query Budda and if I'm there I'll respond.

i had an idea, when your placing a mine entrance above ground, can it automatically place a mine tile underneath it on the underground layer?

i had an idea, when your placing a mine entrance above ground, can it automatically place a mine tile underneath it on the underground layer?

Sounds logical.

Just an update for today. Spent most of the day sorting out the framework for layers, and getting the resizing working.

You can now resize the map at any time, adding rows or columns in any way you like, or deleting rows/columns if that's what you want.

Also made it so you can choose what layers you have visible at any time, although none of the layers apart from terrain can be used yet, that's next on my to-do list.

I plan to get everything on the lists, and any extra requests done before I do any releases, and even then I only want a few people testing straight off to make sure there are no bugs.

Due to the way the maps are saved and loaded, if there are any changes with how the maps are stored, then the previous versions of the maps will no longer load.

EDIT: Also, for an idea of map file sizes, a 100x100 map uses approx 500kB of space when saved.

id be happy to test it depending on when you finish up with the updates, for the objects perhaps its worth asking Mr.B for some images if he has them spare?

for 10,000 tiles thats pretty good i guess at 500kb ;) it depends how much adding walls/objects could add to the map size if smaller textures sizes could decrease it?

id be happy to test it depending on when you finish up with the updates, for the objects perhaps its worth asking Mr.B for some images if he has them spare?

for 10,000 tiles thats pretty good i guess at 500kb ;) it depends how much adding walls/objects could add to the map size if smaller textures sizes could decrease it?

I don't think MrB will have the type of images that will be needed for the overhead view that the map has. I think the best bet it to try rip the images from the online mapper, then touch them up and add in the missing ones - BSB, FSB etc.

As for the map file size, that is with all the layers in already. When the layers are made, they have a 'blank' placeholder for each tile, so when objects/fences are actually added on, its just a matter of changing the blanks, to what they should be, which will still result in the map file being the same size as before - or at least it should be that. The images for the terrain/objects aren't saved with the map, they are all loaded independently at startup.

I have another request to make.

I was wondering if it would be possible to incorporate the functionality of Prospector Tool from Wurmwiki Prospecting Page straight into your project. Mainly the function to automatically draw the ranges and predict veins (with optional function of marking what readings you got from tiles, although that could be covered simply by the annotations layers already).

I'm thinking that adding this function straight into WPlanner would a) help to plot resources map with already made maps, B) reduce the amount of tools needed to use separately, c) allow easier way of sharing Prospector's data , not to mention saving it.

PS: Also - for object images how about getting flying pictures of them... only caveat is to get a GM to do fly-bys on dozen of objects. ;) Other solution could be using frontal shots instead, although those might not work too well if you want precise location planning with rotation included etc.

Could you make a kind of borderline for exactly that: a borderline (of deeds / buildingarea's mainly) which is easily seen? Dotted line, line of small stars, whatever?

Could you make a kind of borderline for exactly that: a borderline (of deeds / buildingarea's mainly) which is easily seen? Dotted line, line of small stars, whatever?

I think that can come under the Overlay layer. Basically you select an area, select a colour and an opacity, and it highlights that area with those details.

100x100, assuming you do byte for Terran type, byte for border, byte for object, null byte for expansion later;

100*100*4 = 40000bytes (39.1kb) for 100x100 map.

but nice tool, look forward to see it finished and fully implemented :)

100x100, assuming you do byte for Terran type, byte for border, byte for object, null byte for expansion later;

100*100*4 = 40000bytes (39.1kb) for 100x100 map.

but nice tool, look forward to see it finished and fully implemented :)

Using int for the type of each layer, currently. But yes, you're right in saying I can probably take it down so the files are smaller. Will change things to short/byte where possible when finished.

Didnt see this suggested but maybe a mouse over for ballons so we can lable our buildings and whatever else we choose

Budda, I love you.

I can not wait for this to come out.

Just a quick update.

Spent a few hours today working on the object layer, and I think I have it mostly working. Only thing left to add is the ability to rotate the objects.

The way I've done the loading of objects lets anyone add their own object images to the folder the program loads them from, and then you'll be able to use them. The only problem is when transferring map files between yourself and another person, any custom object images you have in your folder will cause the object layer to not be the same for the person you give the map to (unless they have the same set of images as you - or new images' names somehow all manage to be at the end of the alphabetical list).

So if someone wants to work on some images for objects that can be bundled with the program when I upload it, please do so. The more images that are in as a standard, will mean less images people feel tempted to add, making maps transferable between more people.

Heres a peek at what I have so far:

yayobjects.png