Sign in to follow this  
Tich

Cooking Improvements

Here is something i've been working on (with Lex's help)

Cooking Improvements

=================

New Containers

--------------

Butter Churn - Used to make Butter

Fine Carp item,

Requires:

wheel (for churning it),

small barrel (to hold the milk),

5 shafts (to make a frame to hold it steady)

Bread Tin - Used to make bread from Dough. (currently not required as done straight in oven)

BlackSmith Item,

Requires:

large anvil (same as sauce pan)

1.5kg iron

Pie Tin

BlackSmith Item,

Requires:

1.5kg iron

Cake Tin

BlackSmith Item,

Requires:

1.5kg iron

Baking sheet

BlackSmith Item,

Requires:

1kg iron

Mixing Bowl

Pottery Item

Requires:

2kg of clay - > clay Mixing Bowl -> (fired) -> Mixing Bowl

Wooden Spoon

Carp Item

Requires:

0.1kg from Shaft

(Maybe add a new sub menu onto large anvil for just the cooking items)

New items

---------

"Animal fat" as a butchered item from 'fat' animals

Coco Bush - New bush - server specific resource?

Tomato Plant - New Bush

Tomato - Harvested from Tomato plant

Coco Beans - Harvested from Coco Bush

OR

Tomato and Coco new items forage/bot and plantable

Recipes

-------

Candles

Made from Animal Fat plus string

Birthday cake

Requires: Cake, Candles

Tomato Paste

Use fruit press on Tomato

Butter

Made using Butter Churn

Requires: Milk in Butter Churn

Activate a Hand and r-click Churn

Make -> Butter

Sandwich - as is, but allow a fillet of meat to be added

Baking recipes

--------------

All require to be mixed in Mixing Bowl using a wooden spoon

Add ingredients  into Mixing bowl, use wooden spoon on it and select from menu

Make -> Pasty Mix

-> Pie Mix

-> Fruit Bread Mix

-> Garlic Bread Mix

-> Pizza Base

-> Cookies Mix

-> Cake Mix

-> Chocolate Mix

-> Omelets Mix

Making the Mix should use the Baking skill as cooking uses the Hot-Food-Cooking skill

Pasty

Mix: Dough

Note: Can have Meat or Fish (not both)

One or more of (Meat, Corn, Garlic, Onion, Potato, Tomato, Pumpkin, Parsley, Thyme, Basil, Rosemary, Lovage, Sage, Sassafras, Oregano)

Cook Mix on Baking Sheet

Pie

Mix: Dough,

One or more of (Apple, Cherry, Lemon, Pumpkin, Strawberries, Lingonberry, Cheese, Garlic, Onion)

Cook Mix in Pie Tin

Fruit Bread

Mix: Dough,

One or more of (Apple, Cherry, Lemon, Hazelnuts, Garlic, Onion, Parsley, Tyme, Basil, Rosemary, Lovage, Sage, Sassafras, Oregano)

Cook Mix in a Bread Tin

Garlic Bread

Mix: Dough, Garlic, Butter

Cook Mix in a Bread tin

Pizza Base

Mix: Dough, Cheese, Tomato Paste

Optional: Garlic, Onion, Meat, fish (Toppings)

Cook Mix on a Baking sheet

Cookies

Requires: Oat flour, milk, egg

Optional: Chocolate (makes choc chip cookies)

Cook Mix on a Baking sheet

Cake

Requires: flour, milk, egg, butter

Optional: (only one of...) Chocolate, Lemon, Cherry,

Cook Mix in Cake Tin

Chocolate

Requires: Coco beans, Milk, Butter

Cook Mix in Sauce Pan

Omelets

Requires egg, milk

Cook in Frying Pan

It's well thought-out and all... but I get the feeling it would go mostly unused once the novelty of it all had worn off, unless there were some advantages to the new foods. Like, I don't know, increased skill gain for a little while, except, you know, better ideas than that.

Birthday cake

Requires: Cake, Candles

The only thing I can say is...wow...I love it..

Time to start cooking.

What impact does this have on the current cooking system?

To the current cooking system, no change.

Although i hope to be working out how to get anyone hungry bar to max, and maybe just have the rate that you get hungry changed.

It's well thought-out and all... but I get the feeling it would go mostly unused once the novelty of it all had worn off, unless there were some advantages to the new foods. Like, I don't know, increased skill gain for a little while, except, you know, better ideas than that.

Maybe Robert, but people could open up a cookie shop next to a pizza place. Would make eating more interesting.

As for letting the foods give different advantages, i think i'd prefer to make it so that if you have a ballanced diet, you get an advantage (maybe stay full for longer)

In my estimation, if you're looking to make the game complex anywhere, you should start with things that aren't mandatory for success. Like eating.

-Smiths make too many items in the game. Their needs to be some diversity.

Bread stoneware

made with pottery and clay

Pie stoneware

Cake stoneware

sheet stoneware

link to current day stoneware. I have the bread Stoneware Loaf Pan.

http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_products/catalog/overview.jsp?categoryCode=FH

-In addition to animal fat

wemp oil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp_oil

made from wemp and a fruit press.

Canola oil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canola

made for a new farm crop Rapeseed and a fruit press

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapeseed

"Like, I don't know, increased skill gain for a little while, except, you know, better ideas than that.(Robert)"

Wurm has enough trouble balancing the fight system, introducing food that modifies things will cause more problems then the benefits.

+1 -> "As for letting the foods give different advantages, i think I'd prefer to make it so that if you have a ballanced diet, you get an advantage (maybe stay full for longer) (Tich)"

Simple yet useful.

Please give cooks a reason to train cooking beyond 20 and make it so 20 skill cooks can only make casseroles.

ha "tin" pans made from iron.

Funny... hehe...

Nice ideas, Would pick up cooking for this maybe.

But more important things then food in wurm

(of Course with more developers.... we could get more things like this put in)

+1

i'd love to have this in wurm, gives a way more diverse meal for those that are willing to create different things

+1

ohh def. yes !

will make cooking more life like rather than just mix that and that and get stew/meal/soup.

Maybey use spoons, forks and knifes for faster eating, an othe stuff like sciceing ingredients

Alos i like to see soups and poridges fill up more. I always likes something like a coldroun filled with soup on a campfire for feeding large numbers of persons.

;D yay! I'm loving this!

I like cooking and would love to serve my fellow villagers something different then meal upon meal!

And more uses for milk and dough, excellent!

Garlic bread....  :D

Chocolate....  :o

*skips down the road to the fields*

+1

;D yay! I'm loving this!

I like cooking and would love to serve my fellow villagers something different then meal upon meal!

And more uses for milk and dough, excellent!

Garlic bread....  :D

Chocolate....  :o

*skips down the road to the fields*

+1

New and different uses, and perhaps while we get these new cooking additions, we could get to place them on tables maybe? ;)

Edit:

It would bring decorative tables and cooking to a whole new use and level.

I love this idea .... would help with not only skill but would certainly spice up the game some :)

+1 :)

-Smiths make too many items in the game. Their needs to be some diversity.

Bread stoneware

Pie stoneware

Cake stoneware

sheet stoneware

link to current day stoneware. I have the bread Stoneware Loaf Pan.

http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_products/catalog/overview.jsp?categoryCode=FH

-In addition to animal fat

wemp oil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp_oil

made from wemp and a fruit press.

Canola oil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canola

made for a new farm crop Rapeseed and a fruit press

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapeseed

"Like, I don't know, increased skill gain for a little while, except, you know, better ideas than that.(Robert)"

Wurm has enough trouble balancing the fight system, introducing food that modifies things will cause more problems then the benefits.

+1 -> "As for letting the foods give different advantages, i think I'd prefer to make it so that if you have a ballanced diet, you get an advantage (maybe stay full for longer) (Tich)"

Simple yet useful.

Please give cooks a reason to train cooking beyond 20 and make it so 20 skill cooks can only make casseroles.

I agree with the stoneware wholeheartedly. I'd be lost in the kitchen without my stone cookware. and being able to use stone for more than just building material is a nice reprieve from being chained to the forge all day.  :)

Also.. maybe for future consideration. The ability to use the botanizing skill to breed better yield plants for farming? Or possibly just having a higher skill helps to produce more seed?

We should definitely be able to use animal at i ncooking. I tried to use it once, and it would only go to create a stew. I thought it would be a waste of fat so I didn't cook it. But it should be cookable.

My $0.02.

+1 to the idea of improving Options for cooking with caveat.

I like the Stoneware idea as opposed to yet another smithed item.  But I really don't see the need for the vast array of items mentioned.  Just make it a single item.  Bakeware, made from Clay using pottery.

Use Bakeware to create your various Baked items, Bread (as long as bread is cookable either with or without.  'With' could be easier or increase ql), cakes, cookies, pies, whathaveyou.

I would also like seeing more food options/variety, Butter would be a neat add, but I think we have enough foraged/botanized items.  We could add a few more of those items to the Farmable list, like the strawberries and blueberries.

Butter (if added) and animal fat would need to be used in Baked goods  (ostensibly to prevent panstick)

Also, we already have Flour and Egg, why not add Pasta.  Perhaps a method of Combine egg and water to make a fluid base and then combine flour to fluid base to create Pasta Dough, then Carving knife used on dough to create Pasta Noodles  (which could be used as a Filler/ql booster/difficulty modifier to Meals)  *Cold Food Cooking* (or whatever sandwiches are)

put Bread, cookies, pies, and cakes under the Bakery skill  (with difficulty ranging in the same order)

While I generally like the idea of more complex cooking, I think that some of these don't fit in the Wurm timeline.

Pizza?  In some iron age world?  Might as well introduce the internal combustion engine.

My two coppers:  remove all foods that did not exist in iron age Europe.  That of course means no maize/corn, no potatoes, and no introduction of tomatoes or chocolate.  All of these are new world plants.

Its a fantasy game, so why not have them

While I generally like the idea of more complex cooking, I think that some of these don't fit in the Wurm timeline.

Pizza?  In some iron age world?  Might as well introduce the internal combustion engine.

My two coppers:  remove all foods that did not exist in iron age Europe.  That of course means no maize/corn, no potatoes, and no introduction of tomatoes or chocolate.  All of these are new world plants.

Last time I checked, there weren't 10 foot flaming spiders, goblins, trolls or unicorns in iron age Europe either.

Just sayin'..

Last time I checked, there weren't 10 foot flaming spiders, goblins, trolls or unicorns in iron age Europe either.

I'll concede the spiders, flaming and otherwise.  :)

But if the people of iron age Europe believed that there were goblins, unicorns, and trolls, or even had them in their myths, maybe it's not so bad to have them in Wurm.  ;)

I'm not dead-set against strange plants and animals - we are colonists in a strange land, and I would expect unfamiliar things.  But I think the game works well with a low-magic European setting.  Every anachronism that is added erodes that core setting.

We could have turnips, beans, and honey instead potatoes, tomatoes, and chocolate; three different things within our European setting.  As far as maize/corn goes...  We have 4 grains: wheat, rye, oats, and barley, which frankly are almost the same as each other - those could be further developed.

Aren't we a few hundred years after the iron age?

if anything from the technology if we were to base Wurm off Europe for the sake of summerising then I'd place it early medieval

well its great for role playing but hm. what technical usage this would have? dont get me wrong - i love the idea but i fear this would be like axes for fighting. they exist but nobody use them.