Sign in to follow this  
Ols

The United Kingdom

Good for them tbh. Either they'll go it alone and realise England substitutes a lot more income than they realise or they succeed in being independent and keep themselves out of the mess england is slowly throwing themselves into. (I am english.)

See now buttercup, I don't understand this kind of thinking from ex-lib dem supporters. Theyre now losing control of their constituencies not because theyre doing a bad job but because they are being ramshackled by the Tories.

So the ex-lib dem supporters refusing to support the lib dems purely because they now don't want a coalition is just handing more ability over to the conservatives... And many people voted Lib dem to STOP the conservatives having a full party control. Its biting off your own nose to spite yourself for a blind reasoning.

Also buttercup.. no one was implying that theres a divide between the english, scottish or welsh... being called british to me is just as insulting as say a canadian being called american.

Local council elections nor devolved parliament elections have no baring on the coalition.

Lib Dems chose to vote Labour, or in this case SNP, to show how lib dems should come out of coalition and form a strong opposition to hinder the Tories (minority governments usually suck thats why no one usually uses them). Supporting Labour or in this case SNP is the next best option.

As for being called English, Welsh or Scottish, well if we look carefully there isnt really a nationality of English people therefore no one can be called English, America and Canada are different countries, so it would be wrong to call a Canadian an American or vice versa.

hi I'm american and what is this

I vote for UK civil war

Scotland use to be its own country.

Maybe we'll see a reenactment of Brave heart but with modern troops?

Scotland use to be its own country.

Maybe we'll see a reenactment of Brave heart but with modern troops?

I would prefer it to have David Cameron (with Nick Clegg supporting if Davvy needs a toilet break) whoever the leaders will be of the Welsh National Assembly, some random Irish guy and Alex Salmond all semi-naked in a sumo ring, sumo wrestling.

I would pay to watch ;)

Being insulted by being called what you legally are is rather silly. I don't want to see he Union collapse, I want the Independence referendum to be defeated and see Salmond humiliated. Liberal Democrat voters that are swinging away aren't doing it to strengthen the Tories or make a tactical vote, they just want to find a party they can trust.

People who look at electoral behavior look too deeply. A lot of the electorate are stupid and opinionated and will cast votes for the party that looks nice at the time. The SNP growth does not match a gain in Independence support, but does keep the reform of the Union on the agenda and will probably mean that Liberal and Nationalist parties are retaining support in some form.

It is very important that Britain remains together; the rump UK would be a far worse place if the Union collapsed as foreign influence would crumble and the cherished history of our 300 year old nation would be moot. England is just a place, and no matter if you support England in the World Cup or feel connected to it you are part of one British nation; a nation that cannot be divided after so long together.

I say we satisfy Salmond by going Federal, giving him the powers that States in the US have and forcing him to use only Scotland's money to fund his ridiculous spending sprees that show utter contempt for the deficit that the whole of Britain should be clearing. When he crashes and burns in his little psuedo-independent paradise we can say "I told you so."

Fyi, if the Union collapsed we'd probably see the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland and the Kingdom of Scotland (The SNP are monarchist and want to have Queen Elizabeth as the Monarch of Scotland.)

I think it would be very hard for Scotland to pull out of the union. Not only hard, but I believe in some sense it defies any form of rational choice. Ideology is one thing, but ideology leading to irrationality is another. Sadly I believe any party that calls itself 'Nationalist' is probably a supporter of nationalist ideology, which I believe is at the cost of dear sanity and rationality. It has to come down to what's best and measurably good, not what your opinion tells you. Opinion is very dangerous because it is not knowledge, but to some it feels that way.

Ideologically, I would love an independent Kingdom of Wales, because I think my country should be able to represent itself and manage its own affairs as it used to be able to do all those many many years ago when Wales was an independent state. Rationally, however, I could never support Welsh indepdence because remaining in a union with England, Scotland and Northern Ireland is measurably more beneficial to all those who live in Wales than not being in the union.

I hope Scotland see it in the same way.

nationalist ideology, which I believe is at the cost of dear sanity and rationality.

Nationality is important, but the United Kingdom has been together so long that our nationality is what we have together. However, being united hardly threatens any perceived Scottish or welsh nationality that is left. After being united all these years, you do notice uniquely scottish things about scotland still, you would think if unification threatened national identity they wouldnt exist but nope I've still seen people wearing kilts ;)

nationalist ideology, which I believe is at the cost of dear sanity and rationality.

I love you Wossoo. <3

You say what I want to say but make it like 100% clearer so people who arent me can actually understand what I'm getting at  ;D

heeh thank you  :P

Plenty of people are caught in the middle and dividing the United Kingdom is a terrible exercise in trying to separate entirely mixed up identities and people, who all identify under one British nationality. The Scottish people claim a homeland, but in reality the Scottish are all over England and Scotland are filled with non-Scots; their claim to coherent identity as a sovereign nation is slim. It would not be fair to pull apart the UK just as much as you can't pull apart the US into Native American tribes.

The implications of it would be dire, economies in the UK would fail and people and families would see a border based on dogma and ignorance form in their lives. Such separatist aims are counter to progressivism and is no different to the ignorance and xenophobia that killed so many in Yugoslavia.

I love you Wossoo. <3

You say what I want to say but make it like 100% clearer so people who arent me can actually understand what I'm getting at  ;D

heeh thank you  :P

I really hope Scotland does not pull out of the UK. This has nothing to do with me being a 'greedy english' but I have grown up in the United Kingdom and I've come to know it as my home and that home is made up of England, Scotland and Wales (I think Northern Ireland shouldn't be under the UK monarch as its part of Ireland's country and its their land keeping it under UK reign is just greedy.)

There's no real reason for Scotland to leave the union.

...UK just as much as you can't pull apart the US into Native American tribes.

(I think Northern Ireland shouldn't be under the UK monarch as its part of Ireland's country and its their land keeping it under UK reign is just greedy.)

I don't want Northern Ireland in the UK unless all of Ireland is part of it. That's because I don't like seeing the nation states of Ireland or Britain divided along lines that do not reflect the connections of people or culture.

Yes so lets go back to the days when there were terrorist attacks everyday from the IRA and other groups and where Ireland became a danger zone...

we still have troops there and there have been a few recent terrorist attacks. Lets not mess it up and make it worse. Northern Ireland is fine being a part of the UK and Ireland is fine letting it remain that way, too risky to change it.

Isn't that statement only an opinion just as well? ;)

I'd call trying to preserve ones culture rather rational. If by "more beneficial" you mean the financial side, I wouldn't put a price tag on my identity.

The most important thing is to let them decide for themselves.