Sign in to follow this  
qob

Cart pole locks

A common problem for new players is that they have no good way to secure stuff outside their inventory.

A house is a significant investment of effort (and then ties a new player to a location, which they may not want to do just yet).

I suggest a pole lock (shaft + large lock).  Poles can be planted much like signs (and with similar restrictions, 1 per tile).

When dragging a small cart, you can right-click and lock the cart to the pole.

This prevents the cart from moving and nobody can access the contents of the cart.

The person who planted the pole can pull it up and throw it into the cart.

Go to their next location and re-plant and secure the cart before logging off.

Make it so the pole locks decay fairly quickly and that it is impossible to lock a cart to a pole with 50% decay.

I would suggest, say, a month to decay completely with a 20ql pole lock.

This means that new players have to actively maintain their security so you won't get large parking lots of abandoned carts.

For bonus points, allow large carts and horses (and boats?) to be locked to the post.

This would then allow premium players temporary secure storage as well.

Not that I agree that building a 1x1 shack is a significant amount of investment, I like this idea.

I would like to see the OP changed so that it reflects both large and small carts. Yes, we can already lock large carts, but that doesn't stop anyone from dragging one off.

Another use of a pole lock would be to hitch animals to. Sometimes I am in a public area on horseback and someone asks me if I can help them, which requires me to get off the horse. I'd like it if I had a (griefer-free) tie post, instead of leading the animal around with me all over the "job site".

+1

I'd like it if I had a (griefer-free) tie post, instead of leading the animal around with me all over the "job site".
Easy, build a 1x1 shack to store your horse in:

Not that I agree that building a 1x1 shack is a significant amount of investment
;D

Having said that (and had my fun ;) ), some form of temporary safe hitching post for carts and/or horses would be a boon. Although I would suggest that it should be more like a week for a 20QL pole-lock to decay if in use (standard item decay if being stored in a container etc etc.) rather than a month. It should not be used as a long term solution for cart/animal storage.

I'd like it if I had a (griefer-free) tie post, instead of leading the animal around with me all over the "job site".
Easy, build a 1x1 shack to store your horse in:

Not that I agree that building a 1x1 shack is a significant amount of investment
;D

You're right. For now on, I will just take a half an hour of time to build a 1x1, then help the player with their 5 minutes of work.

Maybe if they ask nicely, i'll give them the 1x1 upon my departure.  ::) ;D :P

+1 for sensible suggestions, I personally would use one for mining, so I can leave carts there until they are absolutely full

Updated original post to encompass large carts/horses and perhaps boats.

I don't think that really fast decay (like a week) is appropriate for 20ql poles.

A month goes by fast enough so that you won't get huge amounts of locked and abandoned stuff, but goes slow enough so that a new player won't be panicked by the thought of losing their hard won gear.

Furthermore, if 20ql lasts a month, I suspect that 5ql (which is more like what a just starting new player will be able to build) would last a lot less time.

Furthermore, if 20ql lasts a month, I suspect that 5ql (which is more like what a just starting new player will be able to build) would last a lot less time.

I've suggested this for boats, everyone -1'd me.

Wurm forums for you :/

It's a good idea. Although, we could achieve the same thing by preventing strangers from dragging a locked large cart. Simply add dragging control/permission to the management window.

Probably because boats already have this functionality through a lock and mooring anchor and thus don't need it.

It's a good idea. Although, we could achieve the same thing by preventing strangers from dragging a locked large cart. Simply add dragging control/permission to the management window.

+1 Very good idea, carts are a pain to put in on a specific spot or where you want them this will make it more organized.

+1, but make pole decay independent of their ql, else high ql poles will stay around for ages, or low ql poles will decay in no times.  :-\

I see no issue to this unless I'd be stuck with moored carts on my deeds, its already bad enough with boats clogging up our dock, having to make a dev call to relocate a cart would be another hassle I don't need

Make it work for bred horses only then

The only time you tame your horse is when you want it dead. No one rides around in public on a tame horse.

It'd be smarter to put a limit on how many poles a player can plant at a time. I vote 3, as that's how many critters you can lead at once anyway. You shouldn't have need to post more than 3 at any given time (livestock specific).

I was talking about bred horses, not the tamed sort. Bred horses are those with traits, you know.

Well this whole thing is getting kinda wide open here.....

I don't think this should be in game either.

Build a house and put it in the house.

Well this whole thing is getting kinda wide open here.....

I don't think this should be in game either.

Build a house and put it in the house.

Here's what I think about your suggestion: 

Animals have been known to escape buildings, especially after server restarts.