Sign in to follow this  
Mark

Chain Jacket - Reduce the difficulty to make it

There's really no need to have a ~28 skill required to make this one piece of armor. Its ridiculous, its just two big sheets of chain. Why is it so much harder than say a boot, or worse, a gauntlet?

Uhh... If you made chainsmithing easier, that'd mean the only benefits from getting the skill up would be ql and creation chance, you wouldn't get cool new stuff to make as you level up, so -1 for taking the fun out of smithing.

It is fine. I'm getting chainsmithing up now and I see no need whatsoever to be able to rush parts of the armour. People at 10 skill or so shouldn't be able to benefit from the entire armour set.

I see your point, and you're definitely right. It's unrealistic you can make other pieces of chain armor, but not the "jacket" (hauberk, byrnie?)

The thing is, that people above said, that it's actually good when you can create things FROM certain levels of skill, because thus the skill is becoming indeed useful, not just helping in crafting/improving...

But the suggestion itself is good. I'd go further and suggest to change other crafting sections, making, for example, breastplate way harder to make (wow it's easier to make a breastplate from STEEL than a chain armor!), and generally, make it harder to create things. All kind of things, except the basic ones.

Not 100% sure if this is what some people above were getting at, but bear in mind that as your skill gets higher, and the % chance of making the small things gets really high, your skill gain from imping them decreases. If it wasn't for the chain jacket, getting to high skills would be a VERY slow process once above about 50 skill...

Not 100% sure if this is what some people above were getting at, but bear in mind that as your skill gets higher, and the % chance of making the small things gets really high, your skill gain from imping them decreases. If it wasn't for the chain jacket, getting to high skills would be a VERY slow process once above about 50 skill...

Exactly. That is why we need more of such items, but it should be thought and discussed first, to prevent such unrealistic and stupid situation when you can make 100 chain pants, but can't actually make a jacket. I would agree that making certain steel plate items require high skill to create.

For Chain Armour smithing my suggestion is to implement different patterns of linking rings, instead of just standard 4-to-1 - thus adding better types of chain sets. For example, european so-known "King's Mail" - just doubling the standard pattern http://artofchainmail.com/patterns/european/kings1in8.html

or adding riveted chain armour that has been also used in medieval times.

But chain armour smithing isn't the last craft that needs such elite-crafting items, accessible only to very skilled crafters.