Sign in to follow this  
Meridius

Change fails on logical tasks to 0%

My wife just spent 15 tries to get a sheet on a bed. 15 fails, to put on a sheet? Really?

List your other logical fails that should be 100% success, and please, for the love of all that maybe be holy, change this annoying feature, Rolf!

+1. It's tucking in a blasted sheet!

That's the most grievous offender in my mind. No others occur to me at the moment.

There are some other ones but making a sandwich comes to mind, I mean really, placing some cheese on bread.

This is going to be a funny thread, hopefully people bring some good examples

-1 its creating an item....any way you look at it.

Oh for the rest of the bed, I absolutely agree with you. But the sheets are often the last item added, and logically, you're going to be "making the bed" every single day when you get out of it. Adding the sheets the first time is the exact same task.

-1 its creating an item....any way you look at it.

Oh for the rest of the bed, I absolutely agree with you. But the sheets are often the last item added, and logically, you're going to be "making the bed" every single day when you get out of it. Adding the sheets the first time is the exact same task.

its an unfinished item not a bed. ;)

Basically its  a bed after you put the items on and you can put sheets first........before other items.

you would have to change the way its made and give no skill at all to have this 100% put my sheets last on deal.

Hmm...

Could remove the sheets from the initial construction, and just have it become an "unmade bed" before the addition of sheets. That would fit the game mechanics with reality better.

Though I think this thread is as much about pointing out silly things to fail as it is about truly making suggestions.  ;D

Hmm...

Could remove the sheets from the initial construction, and just have it become an "unmade bed" before the addition of sheets. That would fit the game mechanics with reality better.

could make you have to put new sheets on every week too! :D

I hate to agree with Protunia, but...

this is a game mechanic. Attaching stuff uses the original % to create the item, and adjusts the difficulty based on the ql of the item you are attaching, so attaching a ql1 sheet to a bed that you have maybe 25% chance of creating due to low fine carpentry will be hard. I don't see anything wrong with that. It is how it works for everything, building boats, guard towers, carts, bsb's etc.

It is like this annoying topic in kchat few times every day, "Why do I sharpen a ball?" , or "Why do I need to use a hammer to imp a hammer?". It is a game mechanic, get over it.

I agree it's quite dumb at times, but it follows a standard game mechanic that is found everywhere in the game. Beds, being non-essential bonus items, are decidedly hard to construct and this process affects all stages of it's production indiscriminately. Perhaps we could modify the crafting system to have a special policy for hard-to-obtain items like sheets, but in the end it just seems like unnecessary work that would make the crafting system inconsistent.

I'd be happy if the random number generator would get some love.  It's obviously terribly flawed judging from the absurdly unlikely strings of failures (and presumeably successes) that are encountered so frequently.

My wife just spent 15 tries to get a sheet on a bed. 15 fails, to put on a sheet? Really?

this is a game mechanic. Attaching stuff uses the original % to create the item, and adjusts the difficulty based on the ql of the item you are attaching, so attaching a ql1 sheet to a bed that you have maybe 25% chance of creating due to low fine carpentry will be hard. I don't see anything wrong with that. It is how it works for everything, building boats, guard towers, carts, bsb's etc.

It is like this annoying topic in kchat few times every day, "Why do I sharpen a ball?" , or "Why do I need to use a hammer to imp a hammer?". It is a game mechanic, get over it.

I'm sorry, but that line of thinking just blows my mind.

Keep it in because its a game mechanic? Come on! Just because Rolf created generic code for all crafting doesn't mean it was a good idea. Defending bad design just because its a game mechanic is a really poor reason. If he changes it (and should) then it becomes a game mechanic, will you defend it then?

Logical things like putting sheets on a bed should never fail no matter your opinion on game mechanics. Its sloppy game design.

EDIT: So my wife had a good point. If they added from the start that cutting a tree down killed you, would you defend it as a "game mechanic" and advocate not removing said feature?

Keep it in because its a game mechanic? Come on! Just because Rolf created generic code for all crafting doesn't mean it was a good idea. Defending bad design just because its a game mechanic is a really poor reason. If he changes it (and should) then it becomes a game mechanic, will you defend it then?

Logical things like putting sheets on a bed should never fail no matter your opinion on game mechanics. Its sloppy game design.

EDIT: So my wife had a good point. If they added from the start that cutting a tree down killed you, would you defend it as a "game mechanic" and advocate not removing said feature?

Do you hear that???

I think that's the sound of scores of fanboys' heads exploding.

I've spent hours and hours of putting a shaft onto a hammer/axe head, just take the shaft, put it in the hole, and put 1 nail trough, done. nope, I keep failing and ruining my iron

Next you'll be asking Rolf to stop making us sharpen our hammers and polish our barrels, so a big fat -1 for trying to fix something that isn't as broken as you make it out to be.

I don't see how something is sloppy game design just because you think its stupid. I think it would be stupid if you could create something hard to make at low skill, like say a knarr, then

add things without failure no matter if you had 20 shipbuilding or 90 shipbuilding.

Your line of thinking blows my mind.

I took this thread to be far more tongue-in-cheek than most people seem to be...

i say leave it for now it,s not a majour problem and finish other features that are way over due.... e.g. bridges

Putting sheets on beds

Making a fire

Making kindling

Tempering an anvil

Making a cheese sandwich

Pruning a tree

Planting flowers

Still finishing an item, as previously suggested. Many things would need to be altered if wurm were to pursue a logical path - how can you cut flowers off with a sickle, and replant them and they suddenly have roots again?

Either way, I'll say -1

I disagree with you that it's a bad game mechanic. Tell me, what makes a good game mechanic? Is it one that's logical, that's as much based on reality as possible? I'd have to say no to that one. If you ask me, one of the important things is that it's simple, the K.I.S.S. principle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle) is a good one. That comes down to keeping things as simple as possible, don't make stuff overly complicated. The problems you pointed out can only be removed by making crafting more complicated since that's the obvious result of making it less generic. And the benefits of that? More realistic crafting?

I really don't see how making a game mechanic more complicated for the sake of realism is good game design. It's fine as it is now, keep it simple

A good game mechanic is one that works, makes sense and doesn't overtly frustrate the player. This is apparently lost on most of you, so I give up.

The whole failing simple tasks yet succeeding ridiculously complicated ones on luck alone is what makes Wurm quirky, remove that and lo-and-behold you get RuneScape