Sign in to follow this  
Guest fullkontact

Feeding Trough

Could be solved by forcing the animal to only eat 1kg at a time at maximum every tick till they are full.

Please point out where any of the above is easy or how adding a container for a product you already leave on the ground would make this process easier or pointless.

Explain to me first why this is needed when you can drop meat on the ground for them instead. Okay, so the suggestion was changed to be applicable only for liquids. What's the point of it now then? If it's made harder to use the trough than not to I don't see a point in implementing it to begin with, as you said: hunting, butchering etc for meat is already "equal" to field sowing.

Why should the devs spend time on a bucket for gulasch...? I don't get it.

Same reason we actually have buckets AND small barrels, for variety and holding various quantities of liquid. Same with a trough and using it for primarily for holding gulasch for animals to eat, you could indeed use it for fillets that you would instead drop on the ground but it would look nicer to just have a trough, cleaner, even. My primary reason for wanting a trough was so that i could put gulasch in it, many others could probably use it for many other foodstuffs. A better question would be, why not.

-1  might as well make auto brushes too while we are at it.

or perhaps a rake we can hook on the back of animals that rake the crops when they walk across it?  :P

+1, as with every time this is suggested :)

Sick of losing fingers to my animals

On 4/29/2010 at 9:17 AM, Protunia said:

-1  might as well make auto brushes too while we are at it.

or perhaps a rake we can hook on the back of animals that rake the crops when they walk across it?  :P

Ever heard of a horse drawn plow?

+1 I would love a way to get animals to eat what I want, rather than devouring my crops and packing my grass. It doesn't have to be huge, dump in 500kg and forget it for a month. Maybe 10kg max size, with proximity limits to prevent spamming them. I don't want easy, I want control.

The main reason I would want a trough would be so I could fill it from the other side of a fence. (queue old-timey photo of farmer feeding pigs by pouring slop over fence into trough.) To limit this make it take only foodstuffs a la fsb.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2010 at 4:34 AM, Aeris said:

Explain to me first why this is needed when you can drop meat on the ground for them instead.

The problem is some animals - like dogs, pigs, crabs - will eat every damn thing in front of them in a very short time period. I can feed these creatures every day one item each by hand, and drop one item, and they stay fat. If I drop 10 items, those ten items will mostly be gone by the next day. They don't NEED to eat it, but they will anyway. Then there's the slower eaters like chickens or cats. They will eat at a more reasonable pace, but the items start to rot on the ground if you try to leave, say, a week's worth of food. Hence you have no rest with feeding the animals. You can't go on vacation or be busy in RL. It would also be nice if the trough had some programming that made the animals come eat when they were hungry. Some of the animals will stand hungry if the food is behind them. I have my crabs and tortoises alone in 1x2 pens and every day some will have food behind them, which I pick up and hand feed them and they eat it instantly.

• Like 1

The problem is that NPC's (animals) can't open containers by themselves.
It's not to just code a container, it takes way more than that.

11 hours ago, Cecci said:

If the code will not "support" animals eating out of containers..... why not make it a dispenser?

Make it a "feeder" that drops a portion of food on the ground whenever there is none?

On 4/29/2016 at 0:21 AM, Cecci said:

Well, we can just "pretend" they opened a container. It seems like what is needed has been coded somewhat before.

Over x amount of time, the trough can poll the area and determine how many animals need feeding. It would be GREAT if this could be controlled, where we pick which animals get to eat from the trough. (Like I don't want grazers poaching on the food for the non-grazers.) And it would be GREAT if this covered the whole deed, but I imagine since everything has to be difficult, it would only count up what animals could walk up to the trough. Then, for every feedable animal, the trough is debited one food item. This is similar to the code that used to minus a little out of every bin every month.

Then, similar to the code where Fo can cast a spell and all the animals in range are no longer sick and are tended to, all the animals in range would be marked as fed.

I wouldn't make this a container, more an object with an area effect that hungry animals will choose this food source first when they run through the am i hungry, is there food script. Food added to the trough would be gone, increasing the longevity of the effect.

+1

Sure, the piles are eaten from by animals. Some graze. Etc.

A feeding trough would still make the whole animal pen thing feel way more complete. Its bothering me more then it should that theres no trough ingame lol.

We like making our deeds look good, and a trough in the pens makes it look alot better. Also easier to have order on what food the animals in the pen(s) have.

Edited by Reager

40 minutes ago, Reager said:

+1

Sure, the piles are eaten from by animals. Some graze. Etc.

A feeding trough would still make the whole animal pen thing feel way more complete. Its bothering me more then it should that theres no trough ingame lol.

We like making our deeds look good, and a trough in the pens makes it look alot better. Also easier to have order on what food the animals in the pen(s) have.

agree