Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Artifacts

So,

I received a good suggestion today regarding artifacts.

Artifacts are supposed to be

Powerful

Worth hunting and fight over

This suggestion included making them usable more often, but also time-limited and disappear in order to be searched again.

The suggestion would make them work as intended but of course the current holders would possibly be upset.

Comments?

How about non-combat artifacts lose .1ql per use and also lose 3ql per month. And when they poof they get reburied randomly.

kyara just dosent want to lose its precious dragon

Here's a suggestion Doughboy and I discussed, as we played another game together that also has an "artifact" system.

1)  Artifacts effect not just one player (whoever uses it) but it effects the KINGDOM itself.  Every artifact gives a certain buff when in the hands of a player of a kingdom, but not when stored away.  For example:  The Bronze Hammer of Magranon, a hammer that if equipped and being used gives out a +5 CR rating for the ENTIRE kingdom.  If the artifact isn't being used, it gives no bonus.   

2)  All artifacts have more purpose and use.  Let's be honest, some aren't that amazing, have no WoA, enchants, and actually are worse than player-made weapons.  The only bonus they have are abilities/spells.  The Scale of Libila (shield) is really only ever used to zombify animals, it's never used in PvP.  The weapons and items need to be more powerful.  

OR

If artifacts are useless, like they are now, then don't even make them able to be picked up.  Use the Dark Age of Camelot (DaoC) system-- The artifacts are static on the map, they're in small forts that are able to be "captured" by kingdoms, but not fortified heavily.  There would be 9 artifacts over the map, meaning that no ONE kingdom can capture all 9, because that's too many to defend.  Like stated above, depending which you captured would give a bonus.

IE:

You capture the Finger of Fo -- Your kingdom now has a faster healing timer with cotton.

You capture Hammer of Magranon -- Your kingdom now has a small CR bonus.  

etc etc.

And this can be turned around. Enemies of JK just want JK to have all the artifacts taken away from them.

Ajani just doesn't want to raid kyara to force them to lose its precious dragon

see? this will be a case of who whines the loudest :)

The non-pvp related artifacts could be limited to work in the wilderness only (outside perimeter) maybe. Would spice things up.

I have always seen the Artifact System as fundamentally flawed, with Artifacts being items they would find it very hard to change hands, especially for the non-PvP ones. Whenever and enemy starts to siege a town containing artifacts, they would be instantly taken away and run off to another town, looting them in PvP is possible, but as Xallo said they are too weak to be used in their current state.

Making them more powerful would definatly be a good step, but I am not really convinced by reseting them, as it would discourage people from trying to fight for the artifacts, as they might as well just wait until the next reset if they are close together, and it makes it feel somewhat artificial. Making them require use to prevent them from resetting is an option, but is very hard to regulate, and again doesn't work well for the Non-PvP artifacts. On Wild I would think the best option is to make them all useful in PvP, and hope for their circulation as a result.

If artifacts are to exist on Epic I would suggest splitting them into static structures or points, and items gifted from the Gods. The former would make it easier to set your sights on such a point and fight towards it. This would also to an extent spread the ownership of them, with it being harder to defend multiple points with limited manpower. An example of splitting an existing artifact like this would be turning the Crown of Magranon into a tree that gives off fruit that can tame any animal. This is based on an idea I originally posted here.

The latter would be items given to a specific player by the Gods for services in the scenario stucture, they would be combat focused only, and would hold several powerful enchantments. They would be given out rarely, prehaps once every two or so scenarios, and only to one player who significantly helped on the winning side (similar to the Demigod oppertunity). Once such an item had been won it would be no-drop and no-trade, they would be very light to avoid being a significant annoyance. When someone slays the holder in combat the artifact would be transfered, it would not appear on the body. This would only work for enemy kingdoms, and exploiting it could be punishable as with champion points. Whenever such an item is transfered a global event message is sent.

Remove them from the game entirely. They are useless and any change you make to them will just be overpowered and game imbalancing. The scale is not any more useful than a lib priest and the ear is not even worth shaking.

If you want them to be used and for the enemy to try to acquire them all that is needed is a buff to the current artifacts and give it time for people to actually try to go for them. At the moment you have had no one even bother to try and acquire them. This is not because they are in some fortress as someone mentioned but because the artifacts in there current state are useless and hardly used. Beef them and you will see the other kingdoms trying to acquire them.

Giving out easy mode by respawning them just because they are whining about how hard they would to get is not a valid argument. They tried one time for a little over a hour and that was it and I would be all for it if they had tried to get them multiple times but just once? Beef them and then they may be worth raiding some villages for.

Is it just me or am I missing something here?

If you let artifacts reset after some time then it makes it pointless to try to raid a village in order to get it's artifacts, if you can just wait a bit till they respawn.  ::)

If it's a set duration then you'd also be able to have the artifact longer if you get it after the respawn, compared to when you steal it from another village. Respawning artifacts seems really silly and counter productive to me.

and this pretty much:

Remove them from the game entirely. They are useless and any change you make to them will just be overpowered and game imbalancing. The scale is not any more useful than a lib priest and the ear is not even worth shaking.

If you want them to be used and for the enemy to try to acquire them all that is needed is a buff to the current artifacts and give it time for people to actually try to go for them. At the moment you have had no one even bother to try and acquire them. This is not because they are in some fortress as someone mentioned but because the artifacts in there current state are useless and hardly used. Beef them and you will see the other kingdoms trying to acquire them.

Giving out easy mode by respawning them just because they are whining about how hard they would to get is not a valid argument. They tried one time for a little over a hour and that was it and I would be all for it if they had tried to get them multiple times but just once? Beef them and then they maybe worth raiding some villages for.

The non-pvp related artifacts could be limited to work in the wilderness only (outside perimeter) maybe. Would spice things up.

If this was to use them outside any town perimeter then it'll just be annoying mainly. If it's kingdom perimeter/influence then it'll just make more artifacts dust gatherers.

Or just make them give kingdom buffs.

Say for example if someone is wearing the crown of magranon and is outside of a village perimeter and not inside a mine and is moving around frequently then all of that players kingdom gets a Combat Rating bonus (may also need to make the crown of magranon work like a great helm that never loses quality if it is to be worn).

If someone has the Finger of Fo in ther inventory and is meeting the same requirements I stated with the crown of magranon the entire kingdom gets increased healing bonuses.

Orb of Doom is powerful enough at the moment.

Scale of Libila should be an incredibly powerful shield that no man made shield could ever possibly be compared to.

I dont know about the Golden Rod of Beguiling. It doesnt do much right now.

Basically Rolf the artifacts need to be extremely powerful tools and weapons crafted by the gods of wurm. As it is now there is a weapon smith on wild server that could make a 2 handed sword thats better than the steel sword of magranon. That should not be the case.

If this was to use them outside any town perimeter then it'll just be annoying mainly. If it's kingdom perimeter/influence then it'll just make more artifacts dust gatherers.

Sounds like we have to decide on overpowered, useless or annoying?

I'm not going to take the ear off deed to shake it every 3 hours just for the usual anaconda that pops out of it. I get a gem maybe once, two times a week and if you think a 4ql gem or 21ql flint is useful enough to make someone go off deed every 3 hours I just find that funny. The scale is moved from deed to deed for raids anyway so no biggy there. All of the non-pvp artifacts get used but they are just useless compared to some of the spells that have been added. I would be happy if the ear gave salt on failure than a stupid anaconda that I farm for healing cover materials. :(

I could use salt if it came out in 3's. All in all just get rid of them.

Sounds like we have to decide on overpowered, useless or annoying?

Pretty much.

Could possibly give artifacts an ability like Bloodthirst where damage dealt increases the power of the enchant thus doing more damage, but tweak it depending on what the artifact is. This can be exploited with use of alts but whatever :)

How about instead of a physical item that will be just locked or stored on deed why not have a small area on the map - preferable random to prevent kingdom biased - that can not be deeded like the WL however when a tower is placed on it the "artifact" effect come into affect for the kingdom OR appears for use (limited use, QL based, some requirements to ensure pvp) - or maybe the kingdom Smith is allowed to make artifacts (unique item that can be enchanted and are loss if the area is loss)

basicly control points on the map

Here's a suggestion Doughboy and I discussed, as we played another game together that also has an "artifact" system.

1)  Artifacts effect not just one player (whoever uses it) but it effects the KINGDOM itself.  Every artifact gives a certain buff when in the hands of a player of a kingdom, but not when stored away.  For example:  The Bronze Hammer of Magranon, a hammer that if equipped and being used gives out a +5 CR rating for the ENTIRE kingdom.  If the artifact isn't being used, it gives no bonus.   

2)  All artifacts have more purpose and use.  Let's be honest, some aren't that amazing, have no WoA, enchants, and actually are worse than player-made weapons.  The only bonus they have are abilities/spells.  The Scale of Libila (shield) is really only ever used to zombify animals, it's never used in PvP.  The weapons and items need to be more powerful.  

OR

If artifacts are useless, like they are now, then don't even make them able to be picked up.  Use the Dark Age of Camelot (DaoC) system-- The artifacts are static on the map, they're in small forts that are able to be "captured" by kingdoms, but not fortified heavily.  There would be 9 artifacts over the map, meaning that no ONE kingdom can capture all 9, because that's too many to defend.  Like stated above, depending which you captured would give a bonus.

IE:

You capture the Finger of Fo -- Your kingdom now has a faster healing timer with cotton.

You capture Hammer of Magranon -- Your kingdom now has a small CR bonus.  

etc etc.

I would much rather see a smaller map server added after epic for fast paced pvp based on that system. No full loot on that server would make for some fast interesting pvp.

I disagree Horton.

If artifacts were usefull they would be used. I think it'd be a shame to waste the potential of them and scrap them as you suggest.

If you open a thred welcoming ideas Rolf for how the artifacts should work you'd get lots of good feedback. You're already getting lots in this thread.

Buff the artifacts to make them more interesting and have them reset every two weeks. Also they are sentient they should choose there owner not be found.

Every two weeks someone new gets em and its up to them to use it for its benefit or lose it.

yes but you came out demanding who suggested the artifacts to be reset which was a blatent attempt to call someone out - the artifacts were reset once after the fall of LO

How long has it been and why is it so hard to let them be reset again

Anyway you cannot get in kyara to get an artifact, they should respawn randomly and choose their owners.

Rather than all the usual hating that goes on lets just take this in steps otherwise nothing will happen.

Step 1.

leave the artifiacts where they are for now. The JK have them and they are protected against almost any chance of being lost. Fine, though two of the three sides don't like it, we are used to it.

Step 2.

Regardless of what happens after, get agreement on what the artifacts should do and how, is it individual use, is it kingdom or what. Get to the point where enough of Wild agree so that it becomes worth Rolf's time to actually change them.

Step 3.

Rolf decides what happens to the artifacts if anything, if they have built in resets then it may be easier to leave with JK and wait for them to naturally move on, or just leave with the JK or start another artifact hunt. His game, his choice.  Personally I'd say if he drastically changed a bunch of them then respawn but it all depends on what he decides.

IF this devolves into "its not fair they hide them" vs "sod off, they are ours forever" nothing useful will happen.

Horton we will probably have such things as well. I mean there's lots to improve. I would however like to make the current artifacts useful now.

The suggestion is making them usable every 20 minutes (except the orb),

time limited (or something like be taken off-perimeter),

and make the weapons more powerful

We can change them more but nothing radical (like spawning angels shooting tanks).

Anyway you cannot get in kyara to get an artifact, they should respawn randomly and choose their owners.