Sign in to follow this  
Kraegar

For Rolf

He never specified he was taking away perma-death... Unless it's buried somewhere other than the first post in the 50 page topic (I'm not searching through that :P ).

Champions no longer have real death - instead they lose 1 point extra characteristic when they lose champion status

That update was after my post, and I agree, it has now been formally specified, but it was purely implied before, not actually confirmed, just wanted to point out to people that ranting and raving before something is fully confirmed is a little over the top :)

Adjust and overcome, also see the threads around the time of the religion fix, this is all winding to 1.0 and a better Wurm for the future.  We have all put alot of time into Wurm online, as players, as testers, as family.  Sure things may get heated sometimes and arguments ensue, perhaps even things said in the moment of emotion that were not meant. Maybe when we go 1.0 Rolf will give us all a nice reward for all our  hard work and testing :D

The thing is Rolf is wasting a lot of time repeatedly. The various servers that have come and gone, FF, RF, redundant tweaks, etc. The next big project may turn out to be unnecessary or obsolete too after it's finished while the ongoing main issues are still there.

I think it's time to put a Beta 0.99 (or so on) indicator on the wurm website, as there isn't one at the moment. It'd be ok to claim it was Gold and charge for it if the improvements can only be just that - improvements, optimisations, new graphics/artwork, client changes, but most of the time it's 'destructive' in that it wastes existing player effort in some manner.

We aren't in beta, we're paying for this. Wurm isn't the only game to get major character/gameplay changes after launch. Look at SWG, or WoW, they just revampped their entire class make up for talents.

Wurm isn't beta or it'd be free.

We aren't in beta, we're paying for this. Wurm isn't the only game to get major character/gameplay changes after launch. Look at SWG, or WoW, they just revampped their entire class make up for talents.

wurm is beta.

The game has been running for years and people have been paying for it.  Simply responding "it's beta" to explain the disruptions that frequently occur is ridiculous.

If Wurm 1.0 ever "arrives" it will be a completely arbitrary distinction and won't mean the end of sweeping changes to the design of the game.

Honestly if the design ever does become static you will likely see player numbers fade.  People come back to this game because of the things that change.

The beta story....

Back in 2006 Rolf said something like, "Hey guys, I can't afford this on my own any more. We have 2 choices, no Wurm or you can help me by paying to keep things going".  There was a long discussion, perhaps a poll, I don't remember, but the majority of the people said we would help to keep Wurm going. This is when Gold 1 came out, not actually gold but that's the name the players tagged on it I believe.

Then came the server meltdown in 2007, Wurmageddon as some call it. Now this is their Gold 2, we came back online May 10th, 2007.  We are not actually gold yet, we are indeed beta. There will be a lot of changes until Rolf says other wise. Players need to be reminded of this as most are newer and weren't around back then.

Hope that helps explain why the paid beta, we chose it. No one makes anyone be here, we are all here by choice and life always offers a lot of choices. :)

Basically. The era that we today call "Beta maps" didn't end because Rolf thought Wurm was finished enough to charge for - It was either go Gold or go dead.

The game has been running for years and people have been paying for it.  Simply responding "it's beta" to explain the disruptions that frequently occur is ridiculous.

If Wurm 1.0 ever "arrives" it will be a completely arbitrary distinction and won't mean the end of sweeping changes to the design of the game.

Honestly if the design ever does become static you will likely see player numbers fade.  People come back to this game because of the things that change.

Ya I believe its a cop-out too!  Kinda like a pizza shop having a grand opening sign up for years

Well from my point of view it is not Beta. Ive been playing about 2.5 years now and when I registered and then paid premium at no time anywhere it stated this game is Beta. As a matter of fact you can look now on the homepage and the register page and nowhere does it say Wurm is beta. All it states is how awesome Wurm is and how to Pay. Nowhere does it say that this is beta , the only place it ever says Beta is by the players on the forum. Even MMORPG shows at it released in 06.

It doesn't matter if you think it's beta, if the guy who makes the game says it is.

Actually it doesn't matter what he thinks it is either. The game is going to be judged by customers and critics as it is, not how it is going to be. In the real world, "beta" refers to a product that is in the testing phases pre-release. Wurm is a going commercial concern. A call girl can were a T-shirt that says she's a virgin, but that doesn't make it true. If Rolf wants to make believe that you can jump up and down the product life cycle freely and it is going to actually matter to anyone he's in for a shock.

Likewise any fool that actually believes that a game isn't going to occasionally radically change post-release is in for an equal shock. There isn't an MMO out there that doesn't make changes, sometimes drastic ones. The only thing that keeps EVE or WoW from making changes on the scale and as often as Rolf does is that the developers have to answer to a group of owners that like consistent profit/growth and don't like risk. Rolf answers to Rolf, and he is clearly not afraid to take chances.

TLDR: It's not a beta, not an alpha, nor gold. He broke with that paradigm long ago so none of those terms mean anything anymore. All aspects of game play subject to change at the whim of the developer. 1.0 is a myth.

Mag priests need to be able to use HCs now.

That is all.

Maybe gaining faith from priests' chosen tiles when praying as well.

This is just another, in the long line of fixing things that aren't broken, solely to please special interest groups or people. The fix actually breaks what it was inteneded to fix or enchance, then after long periods of our playing with the game being broken and messed up, Rolf rushes in with a new fix or enhancement that takes away a lot of the the things that we over time got used to and learned to work with or around and actually began to like...and then the rug gets pulled out from under our feet and we have a whole lot of our time and energy that we've willingly and eagerly invested, being taken from us and thrown out the window with the bathwater and the baby.

I am not suprised at the insanity of the recent religion change. I had hoped for some one with a cool, calm and collected head, filled with common sense, would be able to help guiderolf to take just a step back to his last religion fix and undo it and add a little something positive and fun back into the game and see how things go for a bit and then make some more drastic changes if needed.

But nope, I was not suprised or disappointed, as Wurm is just a game that I chose to pay to play and have learned to expect this from Rolf. Its his game as he says. Its just a bummer that for every step forward he takes  he then takes 2 or 3 backwards, stumbles falls and breaks something else. Hope you didn't skin your elbows or knees Rolf. Take care.

Wintersolstice

wurm is beta.

This is just another, in the long line of fixing things that aren't broken, solely to please special interest groups or people. The fix actually breaks what it was inteneded to fix or enchance, then after long periods of our playing with the game being broken and messed up, Rolf rushes in with a new fix or enhancement that takes away a lot of the the things that we over time got used to and learned to work with or around and actually began to like...and then the rug gets pulled out from under our feet and we have a whole lot of our time and energy that we've willingly and eagerly invested, being taken from us and thrown out the window with the bathwater and the baby.

I am not suprised at the insanity of the recent religion change. I had hoped for some one with a cool, calm and collected head, filled with common sense, would be able to help guiderolf to take just a step back to his last religion fix and undo it and add a little something positive and fun back into the game and see how things go for a bit and then make some more drastic changes if needed.

But nope, I was not suprised or disappointed, as Wurm is just a game that I chose to pay to play and have learned to expect this from Rolf. Its his game as he says. Its just a bummer that for every step forward he takes  he then takes 2 or 3 backwards, stumbles falls and breaks something else. Hope you didn't skin your elbows or knees Rolf. Take care.

Wintersolstice

Wintersolstice

Think of it like this...

Rolf is a owner of a restaurant and you are a customer.

The owner choose what kind of dishes there is to order from a menu.

As a customer you can choose to order any of the dishes on the menu.

As a owner, he can remove some of the food items on the menu if he doesnt want them served at the restaurant... or he can choose to add a new dish too.

its all up to the owner.

If a customer doesn't like the food on the menu then he can go and order from elsewhere.

A customer can suggest that some food he truly dislike is removed from the menu (ex: he simply cant stand the smell of brocoli while at the restaurant)

and he can also suggest that some special dish he enjoy gets added.

But its not up to the customer to choose whats on the menu, that is for the owner to decide.

Just becouse everyone wants pizza on the menu doesnt mean that a thai restaurant is forced to serve that.

Beta or not... it has little importance.

Wurm is merely a service provided at a cost.

If you dont like the service ya dont pay for it.

People can express their opinions on things in an attempt to alter the game into their liking, but its ultimately up to the devs to choose the direction they want their game to take.

A game feature didnt follow the vision rolf wanted for it, so it was altered in order to try and change that.

It's as simple as that.

Now we got a section on the forum dedicated to requests for changes.

Use it.

There you can write pages upon pages of text about how you wish the game should be improved and what your personal vision of it is.

Then others can comment what they feel regarding it, point out flaws and suggest alterations to the original suggestion.

And keep in mind that if something isnt just "make everything for me simpler" and instead offer something new and interesting, then it will most likely be more seriously considered.

ofcourse thats assuming it actually fits with the vision of the game that the developers have.

Rolf wont code in guns and make wurm into a fps game just becouse people ask for it.

So think of ideas, evaluate its pros and cons (especially side effects...), the effort to implement it (there is priorities afterall. but also a to-do-list) and share them.

By doing so great ideas can emerge and hopefully everyones enjoyment can be improved.

However.... calling a developer incompetent etc will not help anyone.

edit: typo

Oh noes, they took away my uberpowers that I gained by doing what EVERY OTHER priest does, except then pushing a button to champ!

Get over it.

i think he's been rather nice, personally i think each god should have only one champ.

I think that the mayor problem with rolf changes is that he never announces them.

"HEY GUYS! I just had an idea at lunch and made your nonpvp server raidable! Oh yeah sorry I allready implemented it before I knew wether you'd like it or not."

The amount of quitting and rage and whining back then should've taught Rolf to at least announce before he actually changes things, so people can prepare themselves.

I mean really.. How much work is it to make a forum post saying guys, I think next week I will remove champs completely, so get ready for it.

I think that the mayor problem with rolf changes is that he never announces them.

"HEY GUYS! I just had an idea at lunch and made your nonpvp server raidable! Oh yeah sorry I allready implemented it before I knew wether you'd like it or not."

The amount of quitting and rage and whining back then should've taught Rolf to at least announce before he actually changes things, so people can prepare themselves.

I mean really.. How much work is it to make a forum post saying guys, I think next week I will remove champs completely, so get ready for it.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, it is just a matter of figuring out where to squeak.

In larger games it is normally those people who constantly email support over and over again complaining about whatever the flavor of the month is that direct the evolution of the game for better or worse.

Forums do not always get a lot of attention because it is a very passive medium since someone has to actively seek out the content to read. Where as an email or phone call that is directed at someone (or a group) is harder to ignore.

Sadly this process is what tends to destroy games (i.e. WOW, which is almost auto pilot now compared to the earlier versions). But as long as people keep paying then the developers have little incentive to change the way they work.

Arthlo

All developers do it. Blizzard does all the changes they want without ever asking the community if they think its a good idea. You never hear a dev come on the forums and offer a poll on nerfing paladins, or changing how justice points work, or the mechanics on a boss fight.

For minor mechanics they do that yes, but anything that drastically changes PVP, PVE or any core game mechanic is at the least announced regardless of wether or not they want opinions of.