Sign in to follow this  
Lolabelle

[No bug] Meditation Broken AGAIN?

Ok this is getting frustrating.  I understand we don't want medtation to go up insanely fast but this is just silly. meditation is supposed to be relaxing (HEHE) but I can't even get a minimal skill tick over a few days. even on a special tile.  prob get like maybe .20 skill gain in a week if I do every day.  please look into this

Skillgain depends on success chance. Meditating on a special tile usually will mean a very low chance of gaining skill

But this here looks indeed like a bug: after getting no skill gain after at least 10 meditations I started to take notes. I'm now at 12 noted skill gain failures which makes 22 (again: at least!) failures in a row and I'm literally stuck at 42,97. I meditate on neutral fields with 10 tiles distance and don't get any suspicious messages that could point out what's going on here (with one or 2 exceptions where I deliberately tried to meditate during the 3 hours timer to check out how broken this whole thing really might be). I also refused to get my next question since I'm waiting for a friend to enlighten him. Several people on /ca assured me that both questions (level) and skill gains are completely independent so that can hardly be the cause (unless it's bugged). I'm using a QL53.68 exquisite meditation rug with COC84. This is on Deli, my account is 'Rubinstein', path is 'insane'.

Your rug quality is way too high. I used around a 15-20ql normal rug at 40+ and got ticks frequently, at 50+ I'm using a 1ql rug.

Your rug quality is way too high. I used around a 15-20ql normal rug at 40+ and got ticks frequently, at 50+ I'm using a 1ql rug.

Sorry but that doesn't make sense to me. I'm using it for quite a while now and it was even higher when I started to use it while my skill was lower.

Or is what you are trying to tell me that the ql of the rug needs to be lower the higher my skill is? Interesting theory, I'll check this out.

Sorry but that doesn't make sense to me. I'm using it for quite a while now and it was even higher when I started to use it while my skill was lower.

Or is what you are trying to tell me that the ql of the rug needs to be lower the higher my skill is? Interesting theory, I'll check this out.

Yes, the higher your skill is, you need a lower ql rug.

It's the same for all skills really, if you use good tools at good skills, it becomes too easy to learn anything from it, or so Rolf's reasoning.

• Like 1

It's the same for all skills really, if you use good tools at good skills, it becomes too easy to learn anything from it, or so Rolf's reasoning.

You just answered a question I was about to ask, thanks (about the "why").

It was easy to burn down my rug to 20 and after the second try I finally got my first tick after ages again.

Now if I only would know a decent method to degrade my coc rake (thinking of bashing my bulls with that rake...)

Thanks a lot, I was lacking these not quite intuitive basics.

I say it's broken when someone with a basic 10 quality item with coc can get more skill then using a QL better tool with coc on it too. It's silly but works right now and it's the only way to skill up at a reasonable pace.

I say it's broken when someone with a basic 10 quality item with coc can get more skill then using a QL better tool with coc on it too. It's silly but works right now and it's the only way to skill up at a reasonable pace.

It's not really silly, using the finest tool of the trade to do your work makes your work easy and painless. Having to use a not so fine tool to do your work would require more training and precision, similar comparison being people hand-making tools versus machine crafted tools.

It's not really silly, using the finest tool of the trade to do your work makes your work easy and painless. Having to use a not so fine tool to do your work would require more training and precision, similar comparison being people hand-making tools versus machine crafted tools.

When it comes to production tools I can follow you, but what does it have to do with meditation? At least it's somewhat consistent. But what's surely not so consistent is the fact that rugs (and wooden tools) are much easier to degrade than metal tools. Also, are your statements still true with the FS-skill? Never heard about people using low ql weapons to grind FS so far.

I have another problem with Keldun's statement:

If this is true, how comes I'm currently imping ql53 cloth armour with ql60 tools (no coc) and a Ct skill of 50 and skill gain is still fine?

I can hardly believe it's all the same with all professions.

Its not the profession its the skill gain mechanism.

When crafting you have two options make the item as high a ql as possible as quickly as you can or to try and gain the most skill from improving it.

In the former situation you want high woa and high ql tools. Good CoC is nice but not essential for the purpose. Here you are getting as many good imps in as possible to get the job done asap.

In the latter situation you are aiming for the 50/50 point, that is 50% of the time you succeed, 50% of the time you fail. The higher your skill, the higher your chance to succeed so you balance this by reducing the QL of the tool to make it "harder again" Another method to make it harder is to imp at or higher than your skill level. If you get this balance right then even at the higher levels you can get, for that level reasonable gains.

For mining you would balance it by changing the ql of your pick and which ore vein you are mining at. Different ores have different difficulties so if you speak to a miner they'll say start on rock then go to iron ..... finally mine gold. Some are absolutely rigid with this but they are wrong as the ore ql has an impact on how hard it is to mine too.

If you intend to skill quickly in anything I'd recommend three different ql tools at least 20ql apart, you can juggle which, in a particular situation gives the best results quite easily.

Well, here is my experience from meditating for about 11 months now. I'm actually at 73 meditation skill and feel that I get the most ticks by using a beautiful rug of 25-30 ql and 96 COC. I'm usually meditating on special tiles only - not sure if that makes any difference. With this setup I'm currently gaining about 0.7 skill per week, meditating 5 - 7 times a day.

I also tried higher and lower ql rugs but I feel that 25-30 ql seems to be the optimum. I have no statistical data, though - so this is not "science". Just a feeling after a long time of meditating. :)

If this is true, how comes I'm currently imping ql53 cloth armour with ql60 tools (no coc) and a Ct skill of 50 and skill gain is still fine?

The armour you are improving is already above your skill, that makes it reasonably difficult, also your tools is still in the same range as your skill. You would get more skill with a worse tool though.

Meditation is a bit different in that it has no item, you use your skill to improve your skill, both were below your rug. Also different skills have different ranges for what works.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson