Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Stereoscopic 3D in LWJGL

Analglyph means that the two stereoscopic images are overlayd by using different colors. It's nice, because it works on regular monitors (and paper) with simple glasses.

There are other methods that send actual full images to the individual eyes.

The actual stereoscopic rendering of the individual images should be almost the same though.

Shutters are ok, They use regular monitors at double framrate, but mechanic glasses to alernately shutt one of your eyes. They need to be syncronised.

Polarisation is best, because it uses a special screen but simple glasses. It is also nicer to the eyes then the shutting.

I was talking about the shutter version of nvidia which need a CRT Monitor with 100hz, or TFT 120hz, at least a gforce 8800gt and the 3d vision kit. On the first day it took sometimes a few seconds untill i could see 3d and it feeled a bit strange for me. After the first day i could even play 8 hours without problems, or delays. You dont see the shuttering byself, its just a bit darker (my TFT is a bit brighter then usual ones) and a friend of mine use also real glasses under his shutter glasses and he told me that it isnt uncomfortable.

But 10% cant see 3d, so its strongly recommend to test it before.

I greatly appreciate the ideology and vision of the future of Wurm. I can't thank Rolf and his team enough for hours of fun I have on Wurm, but is it really worth investing time on a 3D rendering when that time could be invested to improve the game?

On the other hand, 3D games are not common and this could greatly distinguished from other games.

But I am still mitigated on the priorities.

Good luck to find enough docs!

Yeh I know but if it's only a few lines to paste it's interesting. From what I understand Minecraft has green/red anaglyph 3D with passive shutters. Not sure though. These are active shutters.

Like rolf said, if it's something minor to include he's intrigued.

Yell at ATI, not them. I have had issues with ATI since day 1 of computer gaming no matter what I played. Go nVidia.

I do wonder why some people reply to a thread about a spontane idea of Rolf that was necroed after a full year...

no offence, but maybe first get wurm to run decent on ati cards?

I have a 5830 and absolutely no problems at all with Wurm.

I do wonder why some people reply to a thread about a spontane idea of Rolf that was necroed after a full year...

oh wow

i didnt even notice

Yeh I know but if it's only a few lines to paste it's interesting. From what I understand Minecraft has green/red anaglyph 3D with passive shutters. Not sure though. These are active shutters.

Like rolf said, if it's something minor to include he's intrigued.

Good to know and good luck to imping the game !

6870s here, no issues either. 8)

quite offtopic

Unfortunately problems with ati card are not exclusive to wurm.

Many games/softwares can have problems when it comes to ATI + OpenGL.  Even the photoshop is problematic if the opengl is used with ati card (i've had problems... :( ).

some peole may have problems and others not but it is a set of factors. card model, hardware, driver version, system.....  This is almost an impossible task to have a fix for all card models.

We get fascinated viewing reviews that show X card running the most powerful game of the moment with 100% performance , but each game is a game, each software is a software and probably you may never play such a powerful game that you see in review.

You need to know if the card is good for what you really use and want to use in the future. When thinking about update your computer, search all the pros and cons according to your style (ati x nvidia).

All cards will be great with software X and have problems with software Y. 

If you're lucky a fix may appear, or you have to get used to living with small bugs until perhaps a new driver or modified drive appear to fix the problem :(

google the problem. maybe a custom or old driver or a small driver fix made ??for another game can solve the problem.  that's how i solved the problem with photoshop when using ati, a custom driver fix for a game solved my problem with photoshop :D 

today i'm using nvidia

quite offtopic

Unfortunately problems with ati card are not exclusive to wurm.

Many games/softwares can have problems when it comes to ATI + OpenGL. 

These issues are inevitably PEBKAC errors.

For those who know how to build a proper PC, understand how to correctly install drivers without useless overlay or fluff software, and want supreme graphical power, ATI is the way to go.

For the rest of you, enjoy your nVidia.

I've never had an issue with an ATI card in any graphics software suite or game.

I prefer that the developer focus is on game play related features like mentioned in 2011 wish list. Personally I would never want to use it and 20% of all humans cant see the effect anyway.

90% or more use microsoft based operating systems yet the game is written in java to satisfy the other 10% at the cost of performance drops for every1.

90% or more use microsoft based operating systems yet the game is written in java to satisfy the other 10% at the cost of performance drops for every1.

That makes no sense...

Java is an OS-independent language.

It will run on any operating system that can run a Java Virtual Machine.

Hell, with a few tweaks, Wurm could run on your cell phone. ::)

That makes no sense...

Java is an OS-independent language.

It will run on any operating system that can run a Java Virtual Machine.

Hell, with a few tweaks, Wurm could run on your cell phone. ::)

He means: 90% of the wurm population uses Windows and yet the game is written in java so that the remaining 10% can play it on their "other" platforms.

Although I doubt that's the reason for java. Rolf and Notch both are probably more proficient in java than in any other language, so of course it was the language of choice (the multi-platform aspect is just the cherry on top).

I have strong doubts about it being written in Java just for the sole benefit of non-Windows players.

Java is a popular and robust language.

It may not be the best for games, but it's one that most developers learn.

They wanted to build a game. They knew Java.

Conclusion?

Build a game using Java!

If you wish to build a game, and don't like Java, feel free to do so using whatever language you like.

True, you could just as well use a C-language based game on another System, Java makes it just easier.

Also the Java OpenGL version actually has better performance then the C one. Sure with DirectX you can get more special effects out of the newest cards, but those would only reduce the performance anyway.

that's how i solved the problem... with photoshop :D 

today i'm using nvidia