Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Stereoscopic 3D in LWJGL

Hi,

I looked briefly into setting up quad buffers in LWJGL for stereoscopic rendering in 3D of Wurm but I found very little on the subject. If any of you knows how to do this and can give some example code I would love it.

EDIT: I renamed the thread. It said stereophonic first :P

Cannot say that I do; though, it sounds interesting.

Any leads are useful - I could find practically nothing.

It's basically advanced 3d sound. So multiple sounds can come in multiple directions. It's really hard to explain actually but if rolf is going to do this right it'd be better then the current sound system.

Oh no it's visual. For Nvidia stereo 3d http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-main.html

Not to discourage you or anything but in my experience there is little market for 3d games atm its still considered a 'new' technology and I would imagine there there would be a dozen people or less in wurm who would actually use it. I would focus on other things imo however you could always ask notch  ::) minecraft has stereotopic 3d in it.

Yeh I know but if it's only a few lines to paste it's interesting. From what I understand Minecraft has green/red anaglyph 3D with passive shutters. Not sure though. These are active shutters.

That would be stereoscopic rendering, phonic is for sound :)

I don't know about you, but I hope you leave this as an option. 1 in 10 people can't see can't see 3D projections, due falty depth perspective, which can have as mild symptoms as mild headache to severe migraines and throwing up blood. Avatar was the first time, I cried blood.  :'(  :'(

But as other posters have pointed out, 3D games is a highly small market place at the moment, and it's already kind of dying out, but it remains to be seen whether people will actually continue buying 3D capable monitors and Televisions into the future. Just as well, I don't think I've heard of any MMO having 3D setup at the moment, but I might be wrong with that assessment.

Its called stereoscopic.

Looks like its just doable with opengl, and the bindings in lwjgl are sufficient.

I just googled "opengl stereoscopic lwjgl" and read a bit.

I don't know much about lwjgl but it seems like you can specify a pixelformat that is stereo enabled when creating a pbuffer or display.

Thanks Dareal I also found that stuff but I thought there would be some hardware support like a GL call for GL_STEREO if it's going to sync with Nvidia. The GLCapabilties.setStereo(true) looks right but I couldn't find it in the code so not sure GLCapabilities exists in LWJGL.

I have a Zalman Trimon monitor.  basically 3D works in any (DX?) game, in fullscreen mode, via the nvidia 3D Vision drivers.

Thats done automatically by the driver just translating the given geometry for each eye the best it can.

Rolf was asking about quad buffering, implying he wants to do his own rendering for each eye.

I've never really used java or lwjgl but it seems to have the quad buffering ability by looking at the api docs.

The pbuffer you create with the stereo flag set gives a BACK_RIGHT_BUFFER and BACK_LEFT_BUFFER which each eye is rendered to.

Then the driver takes care of the actual refresh rate and glasses syncing to make it look 3d.

But I would think the client devs already know all this, so I might be off my rocker.  Maybe I will mess around with it later tonight.

If this happens I'm getting a 3D monitor.

Make sure you have a really big desk, they're like 10 times deeper than regular 2d monitors.

Ah Stereoscopic.... that makes alot more sense  :P

I prefer that the developer focus is on game play related features like mentioned in 2011 wish list. Personally I would never want to use it and 20% of all humans cant see the effect anyway.

Ive got 3d stereoscopic glasses since 2003 its not new :P people jsut became aware of it after avatar.

nvidia released an addon driver 2 time a year. I played a couple mmo with it.

well there a lot more about this but anyway.

I say lets go that would be nice !

I just used google to find out if 3D Vision is working for Wurm.

I got 3d now for bit more then a year, since i saw that real 3D is possible. I was very impressed when i saw a full 3d symbol in the middle of my room flying. ^^

Is it planned that it will be implemented for Wurm?

I know that Nvidia does help companys to apply it to their games, like implementing profiles with new nvidia driver and so on. But iam not sure, if they do it for free, so that 3d will be more spread to a lot of game, so that more ppl will buy 3d vision, or if the companies have to pay them something.

At least i know that Nvidia had planned to release a driver update for Mortal Online and iam pretty sure that SV wouldnt pay much, or anything for such a feature, due to the low playerbase.

Sry for the prolly bad english, it is a foreign language for me.

I just wanna add that people have diffrent eyeseights.

Not everyone can see the 3d by wearing 3d glasses coz colour problems

and ppl that usesglasses already have hard time having a pair of paper 3d glasses over ur own.

but lovely idea to have somethign scary look like it comes out ofthe screen to kill you =)

Analglyph means that the two stereoscopic images are overlayd by using different colors. It's nice, because it works on regular monitors (and paper) with simple glasses.

There are other methods that send actual full images to the individual eyes.

The actual stereoscopic rendering of the individual images should be almost the same though.

Shutters are ok, They use regular monitors at double framrate, but mechanic glasses to alernately shutt one of your eyes. They need to be syncronised.

Polarisation is best, because it uses a special screen but simple glasses. It is also nicer to the eyes then the shutting.