Sign in to follow this  
Mystecore

Naming Map Features

For #1 I like the "The Western Wall" or "WesterWall" name.   Seems to fit well with the look and location.

For #2 and #3 I live in #2 and mine in #3 so this is near and dear to my heart. 

#2 Steppes name should be WindRun.  I live there and it has a constant wind blowing almost all the time.  It is the first thing you notice when you come out of the woods.

#3 mountain should be named Scorp Steeple as there is always Scorpions on every side all the time and is like a tower/steeple in the fact that is is very difficult to climb and in fact there is only one place that a climb can be attempted with the help of a few fence posts for Stamina resting.

For #2 and #3 I live in #2 and mine in #3 so this is near and dear to my heart. 

#2 Steppes name should be WindRun.  I live there and it has a constant wind blowing almost all the time.  It is the first thing you notice when you come out of the woods.

#3 mountain should be named Scorp Steeple as there is always Scorpions on every side all the time and is like a tower/steeple in the fact that is is very difficult to climb and in fact there is only one place that a climb can be attempted with the help of a few fence posts for Stamina resting.

Psst, there are half a dozen or more places to climb #3, if you venture around other sides of it.

And *all* steppe lands have "high winds" sound effects.

The mountain at 20,20-21,21 i've been calling tabletop mountain as it looks flat on the top (its not bad on top ;p)

There is a deed on top (now)

Yeah I preferred The Western Wall to Westerwall too, but oddly thought that the community would prefer the latter :)

A bump for this wonderful project! 

The map is really filling out nicely and adding major feature names is a great idea and an action that transcends our eventual decay.  :P

Another name for #2 = Tempest Spawn  or Tempest Hills  (Going with the wind blowing theme for Steppes)

I actually thought something like " 'something' Plains" would be better as part of the name for the steppe, personally.

I actually thought something like " 'something' Plains" would be better as part of the name for the steppe, personally.

Empty Plains? (well they are now!)

The mountain at 20,20-21,21 i've been calling tabletop mountain as it looks flat on the top (its not bad on top ;p)

I'd call 5 "Lost Lake", because I got lost trying to find the Cave Canal a long time ago. lol

Maybe "Middle Lake", since it's roughly around the middle of the map.

agghhh, figured someone would but its sad news >.<

how did they (or you) get up?;p myself and MD put up ladders ages ago on the west side and had a climb up in our little adventure to check for dragons in our local area near the start of the map xD.

the view from up there really was spectacular, just a shame its sheer cliff all the way round lol

Hi,

Edit: Oooops, I apologize! My fault, sometimes I'm just typing before thinking :(

Have fun!

I have no suggestions other then lets not name anything else after players or settlements anymore.  ::)

• No naming after players or deeds.
  • No rude or 'unprintable' names.
  • Naming after devs is acceptable.
  • If you don't agree with a suggestion, be polite about your dispute.

I have no suggestions other then lets not name anything else after players or settlements anymore.  ::)

As I said before, I would not have liked a name after Nyrada, and I cannot conceive why any town of any size warrants having its name tacked to the body of water.

Also, not Bay. It is not a bay.

Mountain #1 I always called "an eyesore". ;D It looks like huge humpbacked elephant twins. But yeah Western Wall is OK. Since the shores of Freedom seem to be so steep all over, wood be cool to name all such waterside mountains "walls", one for each cardinal direction.

#4 could be The Inner Sea, or maybe The Dragon Fang Sea? Whether it is connected to the ocean is irrelevant (think of the Caspian Sea), just the vastness of the water body allows you to call it a sea.

Dragon's Fang Sea might be too obviously dependent on the mountain, why doesn't a more subtle reference like Drakesea work?

Well, Western Wall or a variation thereof seems popular.

Inner Sea, if there are no objections, seems suitable and fairly in common use already.

That leaves the steppe and the mountain to the south of it (which I may leave out after all if the steppe gets named). Scorpion peak etc. is out because someone founded a deed with a name along those lines already.

It's the 'basin' and most like a lake, it's the most populated, and it's the one I've been asked to name a few times. The name could easily apply to the whole fjord, it's up to you's.

The entire body of water should just be called "The Inner Sea".

No to calling it a sea. It's not large enough to be a sea. It's a lake for sure. The entire map is only 256 square km. Lake Ontario, the smallest of the great lakes, has a surface area of 18,960 square kilometers.

I prefer calling it inner sea atleast after darkenstone. But those 2 parts after old samling could be called fjords instead of inner sea as they are named at the moment.

Ya, the northern part should have some other name IMHO, how about Samling Bay, or Fjord or whatever, to keep the memory of our olds spawn point? :)

Yeah I like that, The Samling Fjord, or The Samlingfjord like Norwegians would put it. :P