Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

The Adventures of Surviverman in Wurm Online - Blog

Hello friends,

Surviverman (the spelling is intentional) is a new toon I created for the purpose of trying to survive on Freedom without any means of support and without any tools.  The adventures of Surviverman is being blogged and I invite you to read along.

http://surviverman-on-wurm.blogspot.com/

Here is an excerpt from Day 1 of my adventure.

The trip to my sponsor's deed (the other characters I play in Wurm) took my water down to 60%. Just as in real-life survival, food and water are almost immediate concerns. I decided to start foraging and botanizing grass tiles as I made my way to the edge of the Dragon Fang mountain. I was able to pick up some very critical first supplies by doing this. Most importantly, the sage and parsley I botanized allowed me to create a very important item: a healing cover! This would be useful should I encounter an animal that left me with a medium-level or higher injury.

Reaching the cliff, I climbed up a few tiles and began rummaging. I was looking for two very important items. Iron rock is a crude form of iron that I could use to fashion my first primitive tool. I did find 3 of them and eventually located the second item - a rock shard. Attempting to combine these items to create a crude knife took four attempts. Just as I completed my knife, my stamina gave out and I fell a few tiles to the grass below. Though I suffered a few bruises, nothing was broken! And now I had my first tool! I was very excited.

By this time I was growing quite thirsty and decided to head down to the coast for some much-needed water. I was pleased with my foraging and botanizing. I had obtained onion, garlic (very important), sage, parsley, nettles, a few blueberries, a strawberry, oregano, rosemary, lingonberry, basil, thyme, woad, belladonna, and some sassafras. Not a bad start at all! And I had a knife. Things were looking good!

Checking over my list of supplies, I noticed that I could make a shovel blade and a pickaxe head using the knife against the rock shard. A few attempts and I was able to add these important items to my inventory. I was especially concerned about the shovel. If I could make a shovel, I could get clay. If I could get clay, I could make a jar which would enable me to carry water away from the coastline and into the wilderness. That became my next goal.

• Like 1

Survivor*

Yep, you are so right.  However, someone has already registered that name so I was forced to create a different spelling.  Hopefully, it will not be too distracting.

A diamond already? Lucky sod. My first gem on my last two accounts came at around 27 and 19 mining skill.

Aaaah, the ever tedious hunt for a pelt :D Did well to get all the things you did from your first butcher though!

Aaaah, the ever tedious hunt for a pelt :D Did well to get all the things you did from your first butcher though!

Fortunately, I didn't have to go very far to get my pelt on day 12! :)

I would need to build my armorsmithing skills to 20 (the maximum I was allowed as a non-premium player) in order to have the option to make the chain jacket.
Best of luck with that... You'll need a Large anvil of about 40QL to get 6% chance for a chain jacket with capped skills. I have 20 across the board on smithing skills (well, most of them) on GV and a 26QL large anvil - no option for chain jacket there. I guess you could make stuff to trade for the jacket (surely that's not against the rules of survival?), alternatively, do what we do on GV and go for a studded leather jacket - or if you're really feeling brave, a plate chest piece ;)

I would need to build my armorsmithing skills to 20 (the maximum I was allowed as a non-premium player) in order to have the option to make the chain jacket.
Best of luck with that... You'll need a Large anvil of about 40QL to get 6% chance for a chain jacket with capped skills. I have 20 across the board on smithing skills (well, most of them) on GV and a 26QL large anvil - no option for chain jacket there. I guess you could make stuff to trade for the jacket (surely that's not against the rules of survival?), alternatively, do what we do on GV and go for a studded leather jacket - or if you're really feeling brave, a plate chest piece ;)

hehe, thanks for the advice.  We shall see what happens with the armor crafting requirement of my adventure. :)

A really good read that is! Well done. :)

Day two.

They are huge, almost man-sized hunters, and they could easily kill a weak adventurer such as myself. I wasn't too worried about them because I knew they could not and I was close to the shoreline.

A really good read that is! Well done. :)

Day two.

They are huge, almost man-sized hunters, and they could easily kill a weak adventurer such as myself. I wasn't too worried about them because I knew they could not and I was close to the shoreline.

More please Eyesgood..the cat fight was gripping stuff. good read so far.

"Day 22 - Leather, Cotton, and a Fishing Expedition" is now posted on the blog.  I apologize for delays in getting more episodes published.  Real life issues are consuming my time.  I pasted all of the episodes into Word and discovered my little adventure has turned into over 18,000 words so far.  It is amazing what dedication to a project can produce.  Enjoy!

http://surviverman-on-wurm.blogspot.com/

I am up to Day 26 of my adventure and have decided to start posting screen shots.  Eventually, I will go back and take shots of familiar places in the storyline, such as Refugio, the peat, and the clay area where I began this adventure.  I hope everyone enjoys!

Any chance we can see a full list of things you need to do/collect to consider the whole thing a success? You mention that your sponsors gave you a list of tasks etc. Would be interesting to see :)

Any chance we can see a full list of things you need to do/collect to consider the whole thing a success? You mention that your sponsors gave you a list of tasks etc. Would be interesting to see :)

Any ETA on the next installment? Been a fantastic read so far :)

Surviverman is back with a brand new adventure!  This time, survival is only half of the mission!  His friends are stranded and need to be rescued.  But they are not in the Freedom Isles, they are stranded in the Epic cluster!  Read about Surviverman's bold rescue in the new series, Infiltrate and Recover.  http://surviverman-on-wurm.blogspot.com/2012/04/episode-1-infiltrate-and-recover.html.

Love the epic story. Some people prefer complete wilderness when building a deed/house, but I personally find old abandoned deeds awesome (especially when you don't need to build beds!)