Sign in to follow this  
Arvid

Spirit guards mirroring opponents

It occurred to me that with new pvp maps (i.e. Epic) starting it could take quite some time into the map before we will see raids due to the need to grind warriors strong enough to overcome current spirit guards. I also noticed complaints from Wild players that weaker characters participating in raids currently risks being utterly annihilated if setting foot on the enemy deed when guards respawn.

And thus the following solution (which to me seems perfectly plausible with regard to spirit beings) occured to me:

In combat, guards (deed as well as tower) perfectly mirror their targets skill- and equipment-wise. In case of multiple opponents they always target the strongest (to avoid scenarios/tactics of weaker fighter engaging and a stronger fighter joining in for an easy kill). They are immune to arrows (again to avoid making them too easy to kill).

If desired the guards could have minimum skills/equipment of say 40/40 ql respectively. If desired their strength could also be adjusted up or down by say 10%.

This will allow more players to participate in raids while still providing a challenge to the strongest fighters.

Rather not, no.

Ever played Oblivion?

I think I would make some 1 FS alt accounts to fight against 1 FS spirit guards.

No, I never played Oblivion.

Furthermore:

If desired the guards could have minimum skills/equipment of say 40/40 ql respectively.

if it aint broke dont fix it, and of all the things wrong with guards atm this is not one of them

if it aint broke dont fix it, and of all the things wrong with guards atm this is not one of them

The fact that a thing might not be outright broken is not an excuse for not improving on it.

Fix the entire concept of raiding/guards first, then we can talk.

The fact that a thing might not be outright broken is not an excuse for not improving on it.

Yes it is when your "improvement" is not necessarily an improvement and could cause a slew of other issues.

Yes it is when your "improvement" is not necessarily an improvement and could cause a slew of other issues.

Could you at least indicate how this is not an improvement and what other issues this could cause?

Could you at least indicate how this is not an improvement and what other issues this could cause?

Other issues are:

- it would be possible to only train characters up to FS that the guards mirror, or even below.

(- Why would I even bother to grind FS to a higher level than the minimum level of the guards if I'm only using the char for raids?)

- having to come up with some crap system that will stop tougher players from fighting against mirrored weaker guards (in the OP you write that the guards would always target the stronger player if a stronger player joins the fight - well nice, I'll send my lvl 1 char into the field then and follow with my level 80 who will wtfbbqpwn the level 40 guards away)

- guards possibly becoming too weak in general

Even without that, the majority wouldn't neccessarily see this suggestion as an improvement because there's just nothing wrong about the strength of the guards atm.

I think at least guards being immune or nearly immune to arrows is a good idea. I mean think about it when are you using arrows on guards other than to kill them far off deed without trouble?

+1 for Epic only, would stop things being stagnant. Perhaps 30 min skill, equipment manually added to the guards by the players for a limited period.

Other issues are:

- it would be possible to only train characters up to FS that the guards mirror, or even below.

Yes, that's the whole point of it.

(- Why would I even bother to grind FS to a higher level than the minimum level of the guards if I'm only using the char for raids?)

Because you would want to at least match possible strong defenders?

- having to come up with some crap system that will stop tougher players from fighting against mirrored weaker guards (in the OP you write that the guards would always target the stronger player if a stronger player joins the fight - well nice, I'll send my lvl 1 char into the field then and follow with my level 80 who will wtfbbqpwn the level 40 guards away)

You didn't properly read/grasp my suggestion, did you? Because what I suggested implies that as the stronger fighter joins in, the guard will target and thus mirror him (the stronger fighter), leaving your "lvl 1" useless.

- guards possibly becoming too weak in general

If desired their strength could also be adjusted up or down by say 10%.

Even without that, the majority wouldn't neccessarily see this suggestion as an improvement because there's just nothing wrong about the strength of the guards atm.

A number of other players disagrees with you there.

Here is a better idea for epic, guards slowly become stronger and stronger as the deed gets older.

So a freshly planted deed would have laughably easy guards, but one that has existed for 2 months would be about as tough as medium guards from the old system. Obviously they would cap off at 70fs like normal.

Because yeh know.... 70fs guards and tower guards vs the entire server being below 10fs isnt going to be much fun for the first two months.

Too be honest, towns should rely on actual players defending, rather than on guards.

Provide supplementary light guards based on deed size, then leave the rest on actual player interaction and cooperation.

Just to add in another alternate suggestion, what about having a guard spawned whenever a villager logs out, equal to that players skill.  This would follow the above that players should be the ones sorting out the guarding of the deed, but would balance out timezones\times of day.

Then you could increase the price of current guards as a supplement to that.

Just to add in another alternate suggestion, what about having a guard spawned whenever a villager logs out, equal to that players skill.  This would follow the above that players should be the ones sorting out the guarding of the deed, but would balance out timezones\times of day.

I'd rather not fight a deed guard in scale and 60% damage reduction...

Here is a better idea for epic, guards slowly become stronger and stronger as the deed gets older.

So a freshly planted deed would have laughably easy guards, but one that has existed for 2 months would be about as tough as medium guards from the old system. Obviously they would cap off at 70fs like normal.

Because yeh know.... 70fs guards and tower guards vs the entire server being below 10fs isnt going to be much fun for the first two months.

A guard worth 0.5E per month should certainly not be as strong as a player who has grinded.

Quick question, do you play on Wild?

I do, yes.

A guard worth 0.5E per month should certainly not be as strong as a player who has grinded.

Which is why the OP suggests that the strength of the spirit guards could be adjusted up or down by say 10% relative to the mirroring. But otherwise I don't really see why not. The goal of my suggestion is to give new players/villages a fair chance versus long established players (such as yourself) while giving more players a chance to participate in raids.

My suggestion would allow fewer guards per deed and thus an increase in cost per guard.

I do see where you are coming from, since of course it's in your interest to protect your current advantage over the (vast majority of the) rest of us. But if we want a more lively environment with more players participating in pvp, I think we will want to even out the playing field some.

I guess Epic could have Light guards the first two months and the switch to medium and then to heavy.

As oppsite to spawning guards when a player logs in i suggest removing guards when villagers log in (and are in the vicinity of the deed) to encourage raiding while players from that Village are on-line.

I guess Epic could have Light guards the first two months and the switch to medium and then to heavy.

That would still disadvantage players/villages starting say 2 months into the map. My suggestion would not.

As oppsite to spawning guards when a player logs in i suggest removing guards when villagers log in (and are in the vicinity of the deed) to encourage raiding while players from that Village are on-line.

Making village guards dysfunctional while defenders are online might encourage said defenders to simply log off when enemies are in local (depending on the relative strength of the guards, defenders and attackers) in order to increase the effectiveness of the defense and avoid too high risks of loss. Mechanisms encouraging even relative new players to stay online defending their villages without requiring them to stay online 24/7 are needed.

And your suggestion would be? Anywhays there can be some sort of check if enemy in local then do not respawn guard due to villager logging out. And there are alot of tweaks, for example, have a minimum number of 2 guards, remove one guard for each 2 players depending on size and nr. of guards etc...

I don't know what a 1FS player could do defending a deed, but on Wild definently no one will want to have 1 FS i guess he can still mine and repair walls for example.

I don't like the dea of guards mirroring your skills, its an ilogical solution.