Sign in to follow this  
Depends

Mine straight when mining straight

Not sure why there is a need for mines to randomly slope when mining straight.

You seem to slowly go down over time and sometimes you'll randomly will get weird 5+ slopes on a single corner

Mostly it is just the OCD in me wanting nice flat tunnels but it does get problematic when mining close to water level.

Example:  I mined 2 straight 40 tile long tunnels then joined them at the other end, here was the difference in height.

u8n2ll.jpg

(Looks worse than it is because of the angle but it is probably about a 8 or 9 slope difference between 2 tunnels that started at the same place.)

I wouldn't mind so much if there was a way to raise a corner as well, especially with the recently added 'flat' indicator (many thanks for that).

But yeah looks like bad luck, normally they should average out +/- 1 slope.

I wouldn't mind so much if there was a way to raise a corner as well, especially with the recently added 'flat' indicator (many thanks for that).

Same.

I think the reason for the random slope is because you're just ploughing through the rock, which would create an uneven surface where some sections chip off in large blocks and others are harder to remove.  So making a perfectly flat tunnel would either require taking more time or a second flattening process afterwards.

But I agree it is annoying.  In the canal we're building we mined out a column (a line from one entrance to the other) for a walkway, but if you then mine a second column alongside it actually distorts the already mined path.  Not noticeable when you mine a couple of tiles but on a long straight run you eventually develop a reasonable sized slope.

Removing the random slope would be the easy option, but like belthize I would prefer that a way of (slowly) re-raising a corner would be a nicer option.  I believe this idea has been suggested before in various ways, rock shards plus mortar for example.

What's this "flat indicator"?

I also hate the random slopes in mines.

I have the "flat indicator" which is basically you hover the tile with a pickaxe active and it tells me whether or not the tile is flat. Doesn't help me much though as it doesn't tell me the slope if the tile is not flat. :s

What's this "flat indicator"?

New addition in last week or two (maybe unstable only) with 15 mining and pick you see tile as flat just like with shovel and dirt tile outside.

Yeah I would take a method of raising mine tiles over just about any other addition to the game.  But until then maybe mining in a straight line should just be fixed.

mine floors do need somo kind of raise option, other then have  a mag priest poof a tile,  griefed mine entrance floors cant yet be fixed otherwise. can it be possible to pack shards on a floor and raise it if the ceiling is higher then normal?

mine floors do need somo kind of raise option, other then have  a mag priest poof a tile,  griefed mine entrance floors cant yet be fixed otherwise. can it be possible to pack shards on a floor and raise it if the ceiling is higher then normal?