Sign in to follow this  
dareal

wurm online on a smartphone

it should be possible with the new cloud gaming platforms, for example with gamestring.

as i see the game needs to use the platforms api, in its alpha state wow is playable on a htc desire.

http://www.gamestring.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRwaPxBz2jk&feature=player_embedded

Rolf, it would be more then awesome! :)

im really excited about this cloud gaming (not exactly with wow :))

it can pretty much be done already... all you need is a good internet connection and a VNC Server/Host program.

Run your Wurm program from your home computer and access it through the VNC server world wide.  The faster your interwebz the better your gaming will be.

What you will ultimately need however is a smartphone that supports bluetooth keyboards/mice for controlling purposes.

I've done it myself, however my internet is crap so it didn't work so well.

it can pretty much be done already... all you need is a good internet connection and a VNC Server/Host program.

Run your Wurm program from your home computer and access it through the VNC server world wide.  The faster your interwebz the better your gaming will be.

What you will ultimately need however is a smartphone that supports bluetooth keyboards/mice for controlling purposes.

I've done it myself, however my internet is crap so it didn't work so well.

vnc/rdp/logmein (some kind of rdp) is not so good for gaming, the screen refresh rate is crap. im using rdp/logmein for our servers, clients, its ok for remote management, but not for gaming (tried to optimize them for wurm, but was crap)

btw you still need a good way to controll the game (carrying a bt mobile small keyboard and mouse is not a good way for me), and as it is working in gamestring its looks so cool. (its a real mobile implementation)

Well, the basics are there, we are using opengl as do the phones, the challenge comes with them using Open GL ES which is a subset of the opengl standard. Among other things it is restricted to not using direct mode, which means we cannot easily port the client without major rewrites.

Then again, we are working towards getting rid of direct mode so who knows...

Another aspect of the phone version could be an app which allows you to do limited things in the game, such as manage

village or get alerts etc.

/Zcul

Make it so that when you "manage" villages you get a small top down view of your village.  you can move the view around the deeded land and perimeter... WOULD BE AWESOME!!!  Only a top down view though... don't need ninja UAV's spotting enemies off in the mountains.

Well, the basics are there, we are using opengl as do the phones, the challenge comes with them using Open GL ES which is a subset of the opengl standard. Among other things it is restricted to not using direct mode, which means we cannot easily port the client without major rewrites.

Then again, we are working towards getting rid of direct mode so who knows...

Another aspect of the phone version could be an app which allows you to do limited things in the game, such as manage

village or get alerts etc.

/Zcul

Would be nice to make something like working at the forge into a kind a mini game, if you set up the area with all of the materials and fuel before hand.  Some people already turn off rendering when doing that.  I usually have so many windows open and precisely placed that I hate to have to move.

A top down view of my deed, allowing me to move around and farm, tend animals, pray, garden etc would also be cool.