Sign in to follow this  
Manny

Tutorial feedback

The advice sould be to play wurm in windowed mode and having the wiki opened in broweser, it makes switching easier and if you craft anything you always see what you need to add/do next to your wurm window.

Personally, about 10-12 months ago, I came into GV without a clue. I came back and wow! It was a decent tutorial and covered many things. Thanks!

I think the tutorial is great. The real problem for a beginner as has been discussed above is landing in to the middle of kilometers of deeded developed area.

Have the devs and/or GMs thought about making the landing area a small village type setup with merchants, bartender and a few other assorted things. Radiating out from the spawn could be both a player created decay rate over distance drop off a tree regrowth rate over distance drop off.

i.e. A fence/wall created at spawn + 1m decays in an hour, but at spawn + 1000m decays in a week. And a chopped tree at spawn + 1m regrows in an hour, but at spawn + 1000m regrows in a week (or even eventually does not regrow anymore as is the mechanic now).

Anyone else like this idea?

/Tribs

Went through the toturial last night, and it was generaly better than I had asumed, if I where to come with a few suggestions for improvements it would be getting a bit of info in on cooking/ getting meat and improving the graphic of those pop-ups, it was a graphical-turn off for me, and the pop-ups had some sizes that did not fit into my screen. but besides that, I think the toturial was quite nice :)

I think the biggest thing that the tutorial is missing is fighting. Fighting is probably the first thing a noob is going to encounter once they get out and start wondering around. Personally, the many times I've tried playing Wurm over the years (3-4 different times) I've always completely avoided fights and always ran away, even from cave bugs, because I have no idea how fighting works and what I can fight and if I would be able to flee in the middle of a fight if things go wrong, etc.

After that, I think the next most important thing should be healing covers because, once again, fighting will probably be the biggest concern for a noob, and healing yourself after fighting is just as important. Not to mention that you can also damage yourself going down steep slopes and through thorn bushes.

And lastly it's very surprising that there is no cooking tutorial. Nevermind cooking, even just that you can forage on grass tiles for berries!

Oh I think also that when new players get their newbie items together with a compass, it should be clearly stated that the compass is given only once, and that stepping on that tile where you can get newbie items again will not give you a compass.

I think the biggest thing that the tutorial is missing is fighting. Fighting is probably the first thing a noob is going to encounter once they get out and start wondering around. Personally, the many times I've tried playing Wurm over the years (3-4 different times) I've always completely avoided fights and always ran away, even from cave bugs, because I have no idea how fighting works and what I can fight and if I would be able to flee in the middle of a fight if things go wrong, etc.

After that, I think the next most important thing should be healing covers because, once again, fighting will probably be the biggest concern for a noob, and healing yourself after fighting is just as important. Not to mention that you can also damage yourself going down steep slopes and through thorn bushes.

And lastly it's very surprising that there is no cooking tutorial. Nevermind cooking, even just that you can forage on grass tiles for berries!

???

Well a newly spawned noob is probably better off running from everything so the fighting and healing can wait a bit.  But I STRONGLY AGREE that foraging and botanizing should be covered. 8)

And give them a darn sickle already :P

I think the fighting-part is in the works (afaik there is a tutorial-island south of GV that is not in use yet which is probably being set up for fighting-tutorialpart). And no doubt foraging/botanizing and cooking are somewhere in the pipeline also, I think the screen you get about cooking still missing even mentions it's being worked on?

And I agree these are things that do need to be covered by the tutorial.

I received some feedback via twitter that having a bit more of a story line to the tutorial would help immersion. I tend to agree that as we add the other sections on, it will take a new player who likes to make sure they take in everything a good 4 to 5 hours to get through (I can burn through the current set up in about 15 to 20 mins, but only because I know what I'm doing) and that it will seem like a lot of time spent before getting to the actual game.

Some great work has been done on making the info screens amusing, but if we are able to turn it into a bit more of a story, it could provide a bit more drive, and I suspect people will remember instructions better.

If your going to add too much more to the depth/time of tutorial can you please add in an opt out option that teles you to the portals (unless this is allready there)  last alt I had to run through it there was no opt out , be it shorter per time its still time id rather dedicate to getting where im going. 

thanks,

Myst

Because fighting wasn't covered in the tutorial i just assumed activating the freebie sword you're given and selecting autofight would be enough to keep me alive so, yeah a bit in the tutorial about fighting would be good, healing too (which I still don't know very much about).

It'd also help complete newbs such as myself to spawn within sight of/next to a bartender - it can take a lot of time to find one. Speaking of time, it took me well over 3 and a half hours to complete the tutorial. Can't remember now if this time is deducted from the 24 hours free grace period or not but if it is then please have it so that the timer is set to 24 hours on leaving the tutorial/entering the chosen server.

Somebody suggested a fishing pole as part of the starting kit, yes to that!

Generally speaking and given the complexity of the game I found the tutorial very good indeed. Having done it and then checked the history of the game and the quality of the forums and wiki I went premium straight off the bat...a token of my support for the game even if I don't end up staying.

Oh one thing perhaps needing mentioning in the tutorial is something about the game settings. For myself, good computer but awful internet speeds, I was getting lots of disconnects before discovering the settings and changing them such that the game is playable my end of things. In game I see a fair few players repeatedly losing connections, could be they haven't discovered how to change settings such that the game becomes playable for them. Something in the tutorial re game settings and performance would be useful, or expand on it if the subject's already covered.

If your going to add too much more to the depth/time of tutorial can you please add in an opt out option that teles you to the portals (unless this is allready there)  last alt I had to run through it there was no opt out , be it shorter per time its still time id rather dedicate to getting where im going. 

thanks,

Myst

:'(

No do not add an opt out there are still people who have gone through it 3-4 times and still have not learned it maybe 6th time is the charm. :P

If you can't spend 30 minutes on going through the tutorial then maybe you don't really need that alt.  So having to go through it is enough of a detterent for some to prevent having 100 alts. You know there are some that would have that many if they only took 5 minutes to create.  :D

And give them a darn sickle already   :-*

30 minutes may not be much to no life/no job people but to the avg worker with a life to boot, 30 minutes adds up  ;)  I also made sure to point out that if MORE was added then feature an opt out as its allready time consuming enough, not that it needed or should be added now at its current template.  Wish we all had no jobs and could just play but sorry , not all of us are in that spot.

Myst

30 minutes may not be much to no life/no job people but to the avg worker with a life to boot, 30 minutes adds up  ;)  I also made sure to point out that if MORE was added then feature an opt out as its allready time consuming enough, not that it needed or should be added now at its current template.  Wish we all had no jobs and could just play but sorry , not all of us are in that spot.

Myst

So if you don't have enough time to do the tutorial for an alt, how do you have enough time to play all the alts anyway?

I'm fed up of seeing people asking if they can 'skip the tutorial' only to then see them getting stuck or asking help questions that the tutorial covers - if they bothered to read it.

Because fighting wasn't covered in the tutorial i just assumed activating the freebie sword you're given and selecting autofight would be enough to keep me alive so, yeah a bit in the tutorial about fighting would be good, healing too (which I still don't know very much about).
Not sure if they're the next sections to be made, or later, but they are scheduled to be covered. Work is well underway on those parts.

thanks,

Myst

No do not add an opt out there are still people who have gone through it 3-4 times and still have not learned it maybe 6th time is the charm. :P

If you can't spend 30 minutes on going through the tutorial then maybe you don't really need that alt.  So having to go through it is enough of a detterent for some to prevent having 100 alts. You know there are some that would have that many if they only took 5 minutes to create.  :D

I found it slow on my first time through - particularly the bit with trees and fires. I mucked about with the fire a bit then discovered I couldn't just move on I actually had to pedantically do exactly what it told me to do - I'd already figured it out, I didn't need to do it. Also I kept failing to make the mallet from the parts and had to make new parts because, unlike the kindling, failure didn't give me new bits. After the first time I knew what to do, but due to failures I had to do the same thing again and again and again! I learnt it the first time, being forced to retry was just irritating.

So being able to skip bits, or even the whole tutorial, is a definite must for me. Give them the instructions. Give them the materials, the tools, and the opportunity to practise tot heir hearts content, but don't force people to have to complete every stage.

I also would like to see a section on fighting. Not that there's anything to fight. In my first 2 hours or so on the actual server I saw 2 or 3 people, and one bear which ignored me and was probably locked in the field it was in. But my intent is to go PvP, so a tutorial on fighting would have been good and potentially very fun.

allow players to skip but pursuade not to if they are new

No. The tutorial isn't only intended to introduce new players to the game, it's part of the program for weeding out lazy griefers.

• Like 4

thanks,

Myst

I found it slow on my first time through - particularly the bit with trees and fires. I mucked about with the fire a bit then discovered I couldn't just move on I actually had to pedantically do exactly what it told me to do - I'd already figured it out, I didn't need to do it. Also I kept failing to make the mallet from the parts and had to make new parts because, unlike the kindling, failure didn't give me new bits. After the first time I knew what to do, but due to failures I had to do the same thing again and again and again! I learnt it the first time, being forced to retry was just irritating.

Welcome to wurm. Be glad the tutorial gives you back the items with the kindling

One of the biggest problems of the tutorial is it's length, despite a lot of things missing and some topics being only briefly touched.

Thats not only annoying to a lot of people, it's also hard to keep in all of it at once and remeber everything until you need it.

Thus I propose a slight restructure of the tutorial:

Make sure Part one of the tutorial contains the basics of playing the game (GUI, movement, create, skill, ql, dmg, etc)

Afterwards they get to the central area were they can choose one of the other sections ("first day", farming, mining, carpentry, fighting, etc) or the portals. Each section brings them back to the center.

And the important ting: make tutorial- or GV-portals in the starter towns and maybe craftable too.

That way, newbs are sure to get the basics, people can decide on how much tutorial they can stand to do.

They will pay attention to the info they are interested in, inside of being tired of the previous parts and they can get it at the time they actually need them.

ALso they can do the parts that are not finished yet without making a new character and going through the entire thing again.

The tutorial for newbies is good. But people who create new alts, should be able to skip it ;)

It would be Nice if you had the Option to Return to certain sections of the Tutorial via an Option on your Body. To do it again as Even I whom did it 30+ times missed a few things{I ran alt for friends as I could run the Tut in +- 12 mins}. (that would solve ^) The title Educated can act as a Check to so that you can teleport back to your previous server.

Now on to Why I opened this.

Dear Manny.

In the recent weeks I have noticed more and more players loosing there items due to them not knowing the rules of off deed buildings and keeping there items safe.

A little section on house + walls vs deeding will be a nice addition , and also the basics of locks and such.

A simple fenced in area is not safe without a Completed house attached to it on the freedom servers. (Had a case of a Guy deeding over another guy's whole cow farm in our local)

So a basic 11x11 area with a 1x1 house at each end (wood would be easy for newer players to do) is a Nice way of showing them a Safe undeedable pen.

A basic fighting tutorial part would be nice too. A shaft on a Practise doll , a easy to kill rat that spawns via script..,

Thanks for all the recent changes in it tho - was amazed when i recently took an alt thru.

Not sure if they're the next sections to be made, or later, but they are scheduled to be covered. Work is well underway on those parts.

My suggestions:

1. For the first 24 hours of playing, make the compass impossible to lose upon death and make it constantly  displaying the directions (no delay and no need for stopping moving the character in order for it to show the directions).

2. More pictures, less text. Could some tutorial content be replaced by simple animations? This would make it easier and faster to grasp at least some of the ideas IMHO.

3. I agree with what Tazuras said about deed and in-game wiki tutorial (last post on page #1).

And here is where I have another suggestion: why not make part of the tutorial take place in a sample deed/village for that purpose. You could also make a map, where it's not allowed to create deeds/villages, but with a lot of templars/guards/places to protect newbies from monsters, and the newbies would always spawn there for the first 24 hours, and later choose server/map. Kind of an easier-to-play version of the actual world. If not templars/guards, maybe make the monsters there easy to kill for newbies, or make newbies much harder to get killed.