Sign in to follow this  
Manny

Tutorial feedback

I think it would be a good idea to have the option the skip the tutorial if you want. I have made alt's and would like it if I wouldn't have to go through a 30-40 minute tutorial every time I need an alt.

I'm a returning player after many years and just went through the tutorial a couple days ago. Overall I really liked it. Here are some thoughts....

1) Needs to teach basic combat and healing covers.

2) The portal at the end wasn't obvious to me. I wanted to start on Serenity so I ran up to the blue Jen-Kelon flag and right clicked. No port. Walked back and re-read the signs. Tried the flag again...nothing. Took me awhile to realize that the flag wasn't the portal.

3) I was extremely disappointed to find that my starter kit did not include a COMPASS! Surely this is a bug and not by design...fix it.

it's lenghty and contains lots of text, you should lower amount of text and make it more user friendly

I don't like the tutorial, it is tedious long and not actually tell me how to survive my first 24 hours. it doesn't demonstrate about foraging, making food, defenses against mobs...

I have a tutorial suggestion on another topic, here is it:

Change of tutorial section to more emphasize the core gameplay and how to survive at early stage:

• Environment: a slight tips about terrain type, foraging and botanizing for quick food, slight tips for cooking. Give them a wonderful scenic area for this tutorial!
  • Survival: running away from a mob, calling guards for help, and combat. Slight tips about keep aware of your surrounding for mobs, passable fences, and guard towers. How many newbies rage quit because they got killed by giant spider near FM? This part is most important because we dont have time to look at wiki when facing a mob on first hour. It easy to assume that the game is broken when you can't fight anything and have no clue about creatures 'rank'.
  • Crafting: Cutting down a tree, mining, creating campfire, creating tool, creating a container, usage of examine and what is.

After having checked up on it recently I have to say I'm disappointed. It's not very different from the last time I saw it. I have some comments regarding it:

1. If you change the screen resolution some parts of it become nearly indistinguishable due to being pictures rather than plain text. Remove all the pictures.

2. There are too many dialogue boxes popping up left and right. The typical user of any program doesn't even read those, and it becomes really hard to focus when they constantly slap you in the face. If there's something that needs to be said: Say it in the Event window. It's where the rest of the game messages will show up, it's only intuitive to have a tutorial teach you that.

3. Not a lot of the tutorial is actually spent teaching people to play the game but rather how to perform specific tasks in the game. In my opinion what should be taught is how to control the game, how to bind keys and how to browse the wiki properly. If a new player learns how to use the wiki right away a lot of problems will be solved right there and then - teach them this. A new player probably won't have to dig for some time, yet there is more focus on that part.

4. There's too much text in the dialogue boxes. Reduce it to what needs to be said at that precise moment, and release the following part of the dialogue when the first part has been completed.

5. Talk about deeds. Explain what a deed is, and that a new player can join a village for protection and company.

6. Some parts of the tutorial area are very dark at night-time, it's sort of hard to see where you're supposed to go. It's a good thing to show that there is night-time in Wurm, but not seeing where you're supposed to go is terribly frustrating when you haven't even gotten to the real game. Lamps lighting up the entire area should be put in.

7. The tutorial is essential, both for educational purposes and for weeding out griefers but a friend formed a small suggestion: Since the accounts are linked to e-mail addresses and each e-mail address can have 5 accounts - Why not make it so that if one of the linked characters has active premium time you can skip the tutorial?

This might seem harsh, but we're closing in on version 1.0 and the tutorial needs some work. I know a lot of hard work lies behind it, and that is very much appreciated, but it can be made so much better.

Edited by Aeris

I believe there should be a "Skip Tutorial" option for those who already know the game and are making an alt.

Very long. I've finished after 3 hours.

Should have a little map showing the parts of tutorial so we can know how much time will cost for us.

I wasted 1 hour in the skill Track along the way. :)

These days it's really short and good, however I would suggest adding Guide NPC's in the starter deeds for additional help.

One possible solution to a tutorial for new players could be this.:-

Have a Island, 'newland' for example. This island is for learning the ropes, the basics.

On this island there will be resources available. It could be gridded for new players to plant a 1x1 for learning building processes.

It would have a linear path possibly as the existing tutorial has, but not as confusing with all those pop ups, rather a menu that they can access. One area is all about wood, another about smithing etc.

Lot's of ways of doing this and this initial idea could be expanded on.

Nobody can bring in or take out any form of resource or tool.

Existing prem players could come in as Mentors and do basic teaching sessions in return for some ingame reward or title.

It would have to be stressed a the beginning that everything made there IS LEFT there. And skipable.

To leave you have a dock with boats to the various Pve/Pvp main clusters.

Every so many days the island resets to clear trash and a timer is active in UI to show this. This will stop clutter.

Lots more could be done with this idea. And, maybe have some lightweight mobs or at least some training dummies.

Make sure that the emphasis is on the fact that the world will get harder once they leave.

Maybe have also a time limit of say a week or possibly two before they then have to leave, with the option of course of leaving any time before that.

Mentors could set up in the various wood/forge/pottery etc areas to teach specific basics, answer specific questions related to the resources in that area.

You can see that there is more that could be added to this idea. It may sound too hand-holing to many, but as said, they leave with nothing apart from a few basic skills they have gained, their starter tools and a bit more enlightened to what they need to do once they hit mainland. This may cut down on the frustrated rage-quits and general loss of new players due to the learning curve. Once they hit mainland they are on their own, just a bit wiser.

Anaraavi

The one thing i am having a hard time with is actually getting onto the game. I dont know the problem but it isnt allowing me to upload the actual game

Edited by kyrid

1) Java keeps crashing (I am running 7.2, the latest version and it is installed correctly, verified). Sometimes it crashes going in to the game and some times it crashes while I am playing in the game itself. Any idea?

2) I am in the tutorial, at the point where they are explaining the chat interface (/help etc.). I have done it told me to do but I don't know what to do now. The path is blocked off by two locked doors and fence all around me. I am at a dead end. What do I do now? I just want to get in to the game and out of the tutorial if possible.