Sign in to follow this  
Mrbloodworth

Lots of images of Works in progress over this past year. From the art team.

The new UI looks wicked. Can't wait for that.

The objects / actors need a lot more polys though. Any chance you guys could up the poly count on those models?

Hahahaha, MrB and his artwork team have been working to reduce the poly count considerably over the last couple of years while at the same time, increasing the quality of the look/graphics/aesthetics. this helps reduce lag. I saw from another thread you started playing today. Wurm is a very different game to many others requiring all sorts of data to be constantly thrown around. Having said that, the third pic in the first post of this thread show's some work on player models that has been going on (although I think MrB said not very many posts ago that they were now obsolete, and newer improved versions are being worked on).

Sure, I understand that Wurm isn't your typical MMORPG... But a lot of this could be solved by LOD. The models in the pics at the beginning of the thread would be great as semi-close to far distance, but when you're right up next to the model, one might as well go all-out.

JMO.

Sure, I understand that Wurm isn't your typical MMORPG... But a lot of this could be solved by LOD. The models in the pics at the beginning of the thread would be great as semi-close to far distance, but when you're right up next to the model, one might as well go all-out.

JMO.

Agree

Some things need more polys or need to be redone. 

Using normal map, we do not notice a very low count of polygons, using LOD the poly count may increase without losing performance. 

Apparently the game uses "LOD" but without the help of other low poloy models.

If we put a little tool on the ground and we walk away from this tool, the tool will be invisible. 

The LOD work the same way. more distant an object is from the camera, a smaller version in polygon count and texture resolution will be presented. The same for animations frames.

This is extremely useful for large models such as towers, houses, trees, forge, ovens, carts, etc.

The forges, ovens and houses are very low poly, and the lack of normal map makes us notice it even more.

I can not believe that today the wurm's playerbase do not have an average computer. everyone stopped in time? 

Small changes in polygon count and adding new features(normal, LOD, specular) would not do the game becomes unplayable. These things are just to improve performance, while the appearance becomes better.

Textures and shaders make more difference in FPS count than the polygon count of the models.  Taking into account that all game textures are in low-resolution ,3D models are that less influence on performance.

If the game the way it is does not run with good performancel for some people, the problem is not on the graphics, textures, poly count that it has, is in the engine and the way the engine works with shaders.

spearsf.jpg

shodclub.jpg

Keep out of reach of Venerable fat Forum Troll

Oooo shiny club and spears  ;D

...perhaps too shiny though  :-\ Having the metal brighter along the honed edges and duller over the rest is a good touch.

EDIT: GUI wise, having a concern for slimming is good imho. Seen alot of GUI that seem to just takeover screen real estate. Something using the same font, color tones, and overal styling as the Wurm flash screen seems pleasing.

Using normal map, we do not notice a very low count of polygons, using LOD the poly count may increase without losing performance. 

Its not that cut and dry. However LOD and a shader system has been in the works.

...perhaps too shiny though

That's just the lighting in that scene, they won't be that shiny ingame.

Any chance to get dark liquid textures on weapons for a while after they do damage, if they are going to be bright enough to display dark stains well?

No Korean blood flying everywhere stuff, just an obvious indicator that your weapon has been bloodied.

...perhaps too shiny though

That's just the lighting in that scene, they won't be that shiny ingame.

Any chance to get dark liquid textures on weapons for a while after they do damage, if they are going to be bright enough to display dark stains well?

No Korean blood flying everywhere stuff, just an obvious indicator that your weapon has been bloodied.

Actually Id be perfectly fine with blood and gore, especially if it was optional. Not like Wurm doesnt already have mature content... coughcannibalismcough.

Actually Id be perfectly fine with blood and gore, especially if it was optional. Not like Wurm doesnt already have mature content... coughcannibalismcough.

It probably wouldn't be trivial to code bloodspatter that actually looks realistic, but if I'm wrong, then I agree.

Be even more cool if you could be blinded by the bloodspatter from wounds created by other players fighting near you.

That, however, would need serverside code.

For the love of all things good, please use the bottom picture in the Movement Tutorial Window.

awesome  ;D

edit: i assume the weapon rack changes acordingly to what weapons is located in the container, correct?

awesome  ;D

edit: i assume the weapon rack changes acordingly to what weapons is located in the container, correct?

We are not there yet. Simply empty or full.

awesome  ;D

We are not there yet. Simply empty or full.

baby steps... looking good though  ;D

Love the weapons rack!  Will there be an iron one some time?

-Loxie

Rack_inEngine.jpg

I hope thats not the final texture, it looks great but the frame texture looks like plastic imo I figure you haven't added in the different wood type textures yet.

Heh aye hoping thats the case myself  :-X

Nice weapon rack... but pls Tell me something about that huge wheel with thick axle that can be seen through the window!!!