Sign in to follow this  
Mrbloodworth

Lots of images of Works in progress over this past year. From the art team.

You would be extremely surprised to see the lenghts many of our distant forefathers went to in order to decorate everything.

I see wurm as a survival mode game.  We play Wurmian pioneers settling lands for our kingdoms.  Tools must be functional.  Survival is the goal.  Bling is far down the list of priorities.  The beauty of something well constructed, solid, and functional is the beauty that Wurm needs.

Now, having said that, when clothing finally becomes customizeable...  Different story.  I cannot think of any culture anywhere that did not engage in clothing decoration.  If any did exist, they probably were tropical, and likely decorated their own skins with tattoos if it was too hot or dirty to wear nice looking clothing :)

I've pretty much gotten the survival aspect of the game down. I live very comfortably in a large village that I've built from the ground up. When people start to live comfortably and have systems in place to make everyday life easier, they tend to start decorating their surroundings. While I agree that this game is about survival and that most items should be about function rather than aesthetics, I think there is a point in the game where things aren't as difficult and people want to start making their surroundings prettier. A good example of this is the stone fences around my house. When I get back from the White Light I plan to knock them all down to replace them with iron fences, which offer a better view and are a little nicer to look at.

If people truly think that these items are too flashy (I don't, I think they look great and I didn't hear complaints about barrels) maybe we should have two different kinds of large chests. A Large Chest (current model, or something similar) and a Fine Large Chest which could be these models. I don't know what the difference in construction materials would be, perhaps it is based solely on the quality of the items used?

If people truly think that these items are too flashy (I don't, I think they look great and I didn't hear complaints about barrels) maybe we should have two different kinds of large chests. A Large Chest (current model, or something similar) and a Fine Large Chest which could be these models. I don't know what the difference in construction materials would be, perhaps it is based solely on the quality of the items used?

I could get into the idea of "fine" items which take much longer to create, and look better, brighter, cleaner, maybe with some decoration.  No functional difference though.  Simply nice stuff to have in your house.

Say, any item improved to 90 QL, which then has dye, silver, or gold added to it?  On a failure to combine, loss of 20 QL on the item, and the silver/gold is scrap, or if dye is used, the new item is dyed, but only 70 QL.

As for octobarrels, you have to go way back to the first contributions Mr B made to the game to see the complaints about barrels.  We've had these funkyshape weird barrels and buckets for a long time now, and people have mostly stopped complaining about them, but every time I see one, I'm still repelled.  They are just broken looking to me.  They are too crude.  Barrelmakers have been making much better appearing barrels in real life ever since shortly after the first metal straps were used to make a barrel from a bunch of staves.

GREAT job with new artwork, and thanks for sharing the WIP!

I would really suggest to make actual missing art asap too, also maybe update the textures (like wood types)

Make the old models the quality under say 70 range, then the new models for 70+. That way we have "crude" weapons and finely crafted ones too. Might as well utilize the old models and keep the work done. Can use this for chests and anything that has been "upgraded" graphics-wise.

Except a large amount of the upgrades were done to reduce lag, so...

Aye, alot of the old models were fine as temp placeholders for better, and its great that stuff is being revamped for performance. Statues alone were so bad, you could get kicked out of some Wild towns for making em.

Woah, that inventory looks really out of place in Wurm.

Can we have an option to stick with the old, plain and simple UI instead of being forced to use the one that looks like its from Runescape?

Woah, that inventory looks really out of place in Wurm.

Can we have an option to stick with the old, plain and simple UI instead of being forced to use the one that looks like its from Runescape?

Keep reading past the post with the inventory pic.

All look pretty good Mr.B Only noticed one issue, might have been addressed back on your bookcase, or went completely unnoticed. But the top shelfs UV Texture is stretched. But it may just be the orientation grid thats causing it to look stretched.

Any object that you see with that red grid is in the UVing stage.

any chance of getting the decay from fences added to other items... like boats for example?

and with boats perhaps make the sails look ratty as well.

love it all at the moment

Any object that you see with that red grid is in the UVing stage.

I realize this Mr.B, I was saying that the top shelfs uvs don't look aligned correctly, as if they are stretched. But I could be mistaken if the base grid for the 3D application your using was nestled over it causing it to appear distorted. (Or my 3D texturing teacher lied to us about UVs, how to lay them out, and UV wrapping/unwrapping. Lol.)

LOL

would be unfair tho such a kid, they are harder to target in PvP

QL, dmg and weight are such important numbers, they need to be obvious at a glance. The current UI has saved my butt many times, because I happened to notice high dmg on my tools, just because those numbers stood out in my inventory. If those numbers were in a tooltip or such, I'd probably have a lot of broke tools.

If anything, those critical stats should be even more eye-grabbing somehow. Especially damage.

Tooltips should display non-critical information, such as the crafter.

BUT: Presentation and polish are VERY important. It's the icing on the cake. I love the direction to add more polish and such, by all means please jazz up the ui. The idea of 'fluff doesn't matter' results in decay, low expectations and shows a lack of imagination. So bring on the pretties!

QL, dmg and weight are such important numbers, they need to be obvious at a glance. The current UI has saved my butt many times, because I happened to notice high dmg on my tools, just because those numbers stood out in my inventory. If those numbers were in a tooltip or such, I'd probably have a lot of broke tools.

If anything, those critical stats should be even more eye-grabbing somehow. Especially damage.

Tooltips should display non-critical information, such as the crafter.

BUT: Presentation and polish are VERY important. It's the icing on the cake. I love the direction to add more polish and such, by all means please jazz up the ui. The idea of 'fluff doesn't matter' results in decay, low expectations and shows a lack of imagination. So bring on the pretties!

I hope to whatever higher power their is out there that Rolf does not add those children avatar... just... ehh...

A simple way of changing it would be to change the colour the tool is listed as depending on the amount of damage it has.

White for 0-10, yellow for 10-25, orange for 25-50, 50+ could be red. Of course you would still be able to see exact amounts by highlighting the tool.

I hope to whatever higher power their is out there that Rolf does not add those children avatar... just... ehh...

as far as iknow, they are a little prank of the Dev's on test , and it are NPC's dont know its future purpose, for that should ask mrbloodworth or any other Dev :)

Had always heard the child models were leftovers from a miscommunication among the Devs. Not sure offhand how long they've been around, at least a year.

I couldn't tell if they were npcs or if they were meant for players to use.  I don't really like it either.

Dont look into their eyes!

I would like to have a warning message for my tools if damage is above 80 or 90 XD

or the damage could be shown with a red font, cause I've destroyed my shovel several times now, because I wasn't paying attention on digging :o

(making 3 actions and come back later to just redo 3 actions)

but I forgot it also when not beeing afk :o