Sign in to follow this  
Mrbloodworth

Lots of images of Works in progress over this past year. From the art team.

My understanding of spiders is simple, my shoe coming down on their ugly heads :D

I've always loved spiders, and hate having to kill them even in game.

Now unicorns, especially stupid pink unicorns, I smash those ugly freaks of nature!

Who else picked up their feet off the floor when they saw the pictures :3

Who else picked up their feet off the floor when they saw the pictures :3

Does buying larger boots count?  ;D

Hmm... I'd like to make a note that the actual Wurm spider is saved in the graphics pack as a "tarantula".

http://fireflyforest.net/firefly/2005/08/15/the-tarantulas-emerge/

While their our many different types of tarantulas, their key features are large hairy limbs attached to similar bodies. I feel like the legs of the spider model are far too spindly to be representative of a tarantula, and it's body has strange patches of fur which are in contrast to the erect setae that are normally present.

If the spider is intended to be a tarantula then the fangs need to be moved, they don't stick outwards (I'm not really sure if any spider's does, considering that would be largely impractical), and their eyes are equally sized and normally found in two rows of four.

Also I'm sure you've noticed, but one of the legs pierces the spiders thorax when it moves.

I suppose I'll comment on some other things while I'm at it...

The crude items look good, their appearance would have me believe they are made of birchwood (personally I've never foraged for a stick, so I assume that's it). I like how those were made, they look makeshift and none too sturdy, which they should. However, the tents are... They look too much like carnival tents. I remember you posting that imagine the tent suggestion thread and my primary concern was that they simply made no logical sense. If we're making a tent out of leather and bits of white cloth, why does it come out with long green stripes and a conic top? The shafts look too thin and tenuous, and the tent it self is too large unless it's supposed to be a permanent structure (market stalls).

I think what bothers me the most is the fences and house walls. It's a great step forward that decay is becoming noticeable, and perhaps it is just the over zealous bloom of Wurm that makes it look so radiant, but sense when has aging wood attracted fluorescent yellow barnacles? I believe the wood should fade in color, becoming grayish and splintering. I assume what you were aiming for was moss, which I normally think of as coming in greens and brows...

The castle walls look good, and it would appear as if one has a courtyard in the center, which would also be a great feature in Wurm.

That spider was a model I had around was was rigged and is just a test case for the new loader, it was a quick and dirty animation made to test. It may or not make it in, but I will likely make a tarantula at some point. Castle stuff is modular, and the decay stuff was version 1.0 to see the sever/client changes. It may go in like that, with different models of decay (boards missing, stone crumbling and the like) at a later date. The tent is not textured and a very rough version, the colors denote customization areas.

All of that stuff is mostly draft level stuff, as I said works in progress. I just wanted to show whats been going on behind the scenes.

Good good, I'm glad to hear it :D.

Also, I think you should look at the freedom towers... They don't make sense and... Well they're blocks.

Still think it should be a red-back spider, and it can poison you ;)

redback.jpg

Australian Spiders - The Redback Spider

Redback Spiders (Latrodectus hasselti) are very common in Australia. They are even kind of popular: one Australian beer is named after them.

Redback Spiders can be found everywhere in Australia, especially in the densely populated urban areas. They thrive in the warmer regions. I've seen hundreds, mostly on verandas, in sheds, in storage yards, on industrial sites and inside houses. They also hide in hollow logs, wood or junk piles etc.

The Redback Spider is related to the venomous Black Widow Spider and looks very similar.

The only difference is the red back, or rather the very distinctive red dorsal stripe that you can see in the picture.

The size of a female redback spider is around 1cm for the body (males are tiny). You can see the body is big in relation to the legs.

Their webs are very distinctive too. They are messy and always seem to contain several egg sacks, white to creamy coloured oval blobs, 1cm or bigger in size. Redback spiders love to hide in sheltered spots, holes and crevices.

Small insects make up the bulk diet of Redback Spiders, but they sometimes kill and eat much bigger prey, even small lizards if they get tangled up in the sticky web. They also steal wrapped up food items from each other's webs if they can...

Still think it should be a red-back spider, and it can poison you ;)

redback.jpg

Australian Spiders - The Redback Spider

Redback Spiders (Latrodectus hasselti) are very common in Australia. They are even kind of popular: one Australian beer is named after them.

Redback Spiders can be found everywhere in Australia, especially in the densely populated urban areas. They thrive in the warmer regions. I've seen hundreds, mostly on verandas, in sheds, in storage yards, on industrial sites and inside houses. They also hide in hollow logs, wood or junk piles etc.

The Redback Spider is related to the venomous Black Widow Spider and looks very similar.

The only difference is the red back, or rather the very distinctive red dorsal stripe that you can see in the picture.

The size of a female redback spider is around 1cm for the body (males are tiny). You can see the body is big in relation to the legs.

Their webs are very distinctive too. They are messy and always seem to contain several egg sacks, white to creamy coloured oval blobs, 1cm or bigger in size. Redback spiders love to hide in sheltered spots, holes and crevices.

Small insects make up the bulk diet of Redback Spiders, but they sometimes kill and eat much bigger prey, even small lizards if they get tangled up in the sticky web. They also steal wrapped up food items from each other's webs if they can...

lol enough spiders please

Yeah. I feel the urge to hit the monitor with a shoe.

[me=Klaa]walks by carrying a sign[/me]

Bring Back the Ninja Spiders of Old!

Any news about the castles and stuff hype? :)

im so excited also, its a cant wait category :)

66PottedPlantsVector.jpg

Click on the image thumbnail at the top after a google search and write {img]url, with a square bracket to begin, not the one I put.

Did something change?  All I see in the first post is a bunch of stone axes....    :-[

Tbh MrBW I think the spiders should not be modeled after spiders in the Theridiidae family but modeled after spiders from the Theraphosidae superfamily. Because they're more like ground-walking spiders than web-hanging spiders. Just a thought. ::)

that are really nice objects. hopefully they come ingame. especially the rotten fences and housewalls.

that are really nice objects. hopefully they come ingame. especially the rotten fences and housewalls.

Rotten fences are already available in the unstable client.

Why do we need seasons, rotting fences, detailed spider models and anims when there are so many things that don't even have models yet? Priorities seem a bit off if you ask me.