Sign in to follow this  
Eep

sound distance needs lowering

OK, so this has bugged me for years so now I'm gonna start a thread about it: sound distance--it's too loud for the distance. I shouldn't be able to hear someone sawing over 50 tiles away, for example. No way no how. Hammering maybe (I'd reduce it to 25 tiles) but not sawing, foraging/botanizing/farming (all same sound currently--needs to be different for each action!), eating, digging, chopping wood (the most annoying sound after the ducks!), etc, etc, etc. The overall sound distance needs to be reduced across the board, I'd say (type)!

I've already lowered the volume for eating and drinking. These should be a lot lower and should not be heard across local or even close by.

There is a distance now for sounds and they are mute after a certain tile distance. The problem with lowering it more will require certain client changes to happen.

What drinking sound? I don't ever hear it...

What is the tile distance? Cuz it really shouldn't be more than like 25 tiles for most sounds--and even that's probably pushing it...

it is at or around 25 tiles currently. Drinking is in but requires a 4s timer. You need to be parched to hear it.

There's no way it's 25 tiles now cuz I can hear my neighbors who live at least 50 tiles directly away and other people hammering and doing other things even further...

Drinking needs a "slurp" sound for shorter durations.

It needs me to bug Rolf about making it play when the action starts but I can see people abusing it. After 25 tiles it starts to drop off until it goes mute.

Oh, it only STARTS to drop off after 25 tiles? I would think it should COMPLETELY drop off after 25 tiles (starting perhaps at 15 or 20, or even lower), depending on the sound. Is sound distance dropoff configurable per sound?

People will abuse anything but nothing else is limited in such a manner as to not be abused, soundwise. Farting anyone?

Even better are the stealthy sounds. Setting a trap that wakes up someone sleeping 50 tiles away or breaking a lockpick and diving under the desk thinking someone is shooting at you!

Oh, it only STARTS to drop off after 25 tiles? [...]  Is sound distance dropoff configurable per sound?

Which sound engine are you using?

With hardware sound, it starts to drop off after two tiles. And no, it isn't.

I can lower the trap setting sound again but the lockpicking break sound I did not know had a sound until recently. Done but I'm waiting on more things to send to Rolf for a big update before getting it added. End of this week I'll send him a email and get a lockpick break sound in. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12780033/sound.lockpick.break.ogg

Not sure that would help. Now you will just hear someone quietly setting a trap or failing a lockpicking action from 50 tiles away...

i hope the distance that sounds are heard is related to the event messages. Would be silly to have an event message and no sound for it (the other way round is fine imo)