Sign in to follow this  
Mrbloodworth

New Tutorial stress test November 14, 2010.

bugreport - cursor don't listen to me, it isn't pointing anything on ground, sometimes only tile borders or tile, but never that, what i want. In inventory and chat it works fine.

bugreport - cursor don't listen to me, it isn't pointing anything on ground, sometimes only tile borders or tile, but never that, what i want. In inventory and chat it works fine.

Wrong thread. Your issue is with the unstable client, please post there.

My two cents: I'm adding stuff here as I go along the tutorial.

Overall, a very fun and entertaining tutorial, very informative. As the whole point of this stress test is to weed out bugs, I have done so. Please find them below:

1) If the principal reason for showing different floor terrains in Stage 1, PArt 2 is for players to experience them, should include all terrains, not only those that inhibit or increase walking speed.

2) Regarding the climbing tutorial, might want to include another one in the underground / mine section, to show that falls inside a mine don't hurt. Unless of course, that is a bug and you're fixing it :)

3) Might want to provide a temporary clay container during the drinking water section to illustrate to the player how filling and emptying a container of water feels like. Missing fence between the channels to and from the well.

4) If multiple players are running through the compass section of the tutorial, they might not get the compass from the barrel. When me and another player came by together, the barrel spawned 5 compasses, and the other player took them all. Thankfully the gate at the end prevents a player from leaving the section until a compass is acquired, and respawns a compass in the barrel for them.

5) Woodcutting area: Due to some trees being at the optimum age (very old / overaged = most HP), it might take a while for a player to chop them down. This will spam them with messages that they need to chop the tree into logs before they have even chopped down the tree. If the tree is too young to provide a chopped down tree, but instead provides a log, the tutorial does not continue. Also, when a kindling is created, and the player ocntinues to make kindling and fails, they get another message related to firestarting instead of the actual kindling message. Also, multiple fires can make things quite laggy :) During the mallet creation section, might want to add a picture of how to 'use' the mallet head with the shaft.

6) Digging area: no shovel provided for digging on moss section, shovel provided in peat section. Afterwards, provided with another shovel in clay section, even when told by tutorial window that the shovel will be retained. Player now has 2 shovels.

7) Tutorial window did not resize when showing the Stage Complete Message after the Tar Pit section.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Updated post with more feedback. Thanks MrBloodWorth :D

Great improvement over the old tutorial! I really liked that you added a sprout-picking part (and a free sickle!).

There seems to be a small issue with the mission prompts though. Occasionally you'll get two prompt windows pop up almost simultaneously for two subsequent tutorial events. Clicking 'send' on the old prompt says you have answered an old question and it has timed out. Not too problematic but I can see it can get annoying when you haven't even finished reading the first window and another pops up.

Also duplicate tools given? I left the tutorial with 2 steel and flints and 2 shovels.

And I guess parts of it aren't finished yet? Will be glad to test again when you guys finish. :)

I has a notepad.

• Stage 2 Point 2 is vague (That's what my notepad said, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was about)
  • Unlike the old tutorial, where accepted prompts could be recalled by the /mission command or talking to the guide, there was no obvious way to re-view accepted prompts
  • One of the bartenders was called "Bartender _Bram"[sic]
  • The second shovel recieved (De facto, when you get teleported and lose your entire inventory "Except your shovel") is improvable, unlike normal tutorial tools.
  • It might be worth explaining there is no fall damage in caves (Personally, I jumped off the clift in the "There is water underground" room)

There are my semi-attentive scratchings from my first runthrough, but otherwise, a very shiny piece of kit.

Took the time to run through it for yas. Looks good alot better then the old model of throwin ya in with no clue what to do.

Also duplicate tools given? I left the tutorial with 2 steel and flints and 2 shovels.

None of the removal sections are active.

The tutorial was exalent cant wait to see it finished and i like sum of those pics.

Looks good so far, loved the detail of the tutorials and how everything was explained, the pictures were also quite entertaining.

A couple things I saw

-Obviously some images missing, had experimental packs turned on but some images still had errors (like the one at the compass portion telling you to go back and get the compass)

-When you're at the actual compass section, you actually have to right click and "take" the compass, you can't just drag and drop, also might want to add something explaining drag and drop too.

-Hopefully you can the item removal sections up soon.

-When making a mallet it seems as if the player is provided with extra raw materials if they fail, but when doing the same with a clay bowl you have to manually dig it up again, this isn't so much a big deal, i'm just one for consistency.

All in all though, the new tutorial is pretty awesome, very thorough, very detailed, I really do hope you add a section that explains decay and quality as from what I saw it's only briefly alluded to and it is very much an important part of the game.

The tutorial was great. Loved the humor in it! It will keep the new players entertained while they go through the tutorial.

Funny and engaging.

woodcutting area is already littered with trees :(

needs finishing.

The image support is awesome, pics are a bit basic but they're very humoristic.

Observations:

1> At the point where players enter the mine they should be given a pickaxe and allowed to mine.(include mining tutorial)

2> At digging tutorial  you talk about terrain not being deformed on special tile by digging but as far as I remember you never    mentioned or explained digging and deformable terrain - this hould be a part of the tutorial with the examining tiles etc...

3> There needs to be some kind of Tutorial Book where all the messages you get along are indexed and can be accessed at any time.

4> Tutorial windows should not overlap eachother, for the next window to appear you should be required to close the current.

5> Ingame Wiki must be updated also to support images :D

0> Pressing Esc for menu didn't work for me am i doing something wrong?

I suggest making a set of tutorials for the player so after he finishes the tutorial he can exercice in more deatail and go trough what he learned again.  (optional ofcourse)

- For example a tutorial to guide him trough making pottery bowls and jars

- tutorial for smelting ore and making an anvil

- Tutorial for making a cart, etc

Edit: Please Add a loading screen during teleportation or some flashy effect to hide the terrain rendering.

Funny and engaging.

woodcutting area is already littered with trees :(

needs finishing.

Same problem with what we have at ND Tree Farm.

Couple solutions I can think of is to disable people's action if they completed it. If they were told to cut down a tree, disable them from being able to cut down anymore trees. This will prevent people from getting easy woodcutting skill from never-ending supply of trees. Do the same for mining to prevent griefing. Only make them do what they need to do and have them move on.

Other solution is to have instant decay every 30-60 minutes for the area. Wonder if this is possible to only affect a certain area. If this is possible, I will keep mentioning this, have a special deed that allows no decay on anything except on the specific area that will have fast decay. It will be annoying to maintain the deed, especially the signs, coffins, lamps, etc. even if they are at 99ql.

i'm at work and honestly dont have the time to do this.. I see nothing wrong with the new tutorial system.. it will make it alot easier for new players to understand the mechanics of the game and help reduce questions asked in pa help channels. I didnt notice any glitches or bugs along the way.. so i really dont have much to report on this. on a side note the forums is not sending my roomate "Ninjabert" a conformation email so he can not post on the forums.  Bert says "i like the fact that your teaching people to use a sickel".. " My suggestion is to allow them to keep the sickle, so they can replant what they cut from the very start"  "other than that it works fine and is effective" personally i agree with him on the fact that new players should keep the sickle as most just wont bother to make one. i gotta get back to fixing this laptop. theres our two cents on it, sorry i'm rushing through this but i'm using company time (although its my own company) to do this and am pressed on a deadline with this machine. thx for understanding. Kazukio & Ninjabert

Wonderful improvement from the old tutorial, hope to see more improvements  ;D

yeah write all the tutorial logs to a file called "tutorial notes" or something so people can go back to it if they need it.

Some places zerg atack player with overlaping messages.

Tree farm is one big scrapyard :).

You get iron tools, noob one are birchwood. Tutorial one are undropable, or you will get other set when you finish tutorial?

Images are great.

Very good improvement over the old system. Some of the windows were awkwardly sized and occasionally doubled up, but overall impressive. It should definitely help new players learn the flow of the game better.

Do I have to make a new character to test this?

You need a GV character, so if all you have are characters that are premium, then the answer to your question is yes.

Yes the trees lying everywhere was something I noticed.  Possibly a window telling the player to burn the rest of their tree before moving?  Or increased decay maybe in that area.

Only thing I can add to the above posts would be possibly the addition of a window near the start explaining how to bind keys, plus "tooltips" somewhere on certain windows throughout noting which binds can be used for which actions.  They help relieve the irritation of having to use the right-click menu and may help more players stick with wurm if they are made aware from the get go.