Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Twitter for villages

You can now let your village twit!

You need to be allowed to manage the village settings in order to set up twitter. Do as follows:

First, note that this account probably should not be your personal twitter account.

Account registration:

1. Click the big yellow Sign Up button.

2. Create an account.

3. Skip the 3 friends, sources of interest and search steps.

Application registration:

4. Look down to the right. A small link says "developers". Click it.

5. Click beside the big number 2 icon on the words "Register an app".

6. Name your application something like "MyVillage Chat"

7. Description: Chat for MyVillage

8. Fill in an url. I guess you can use http://www.wurmonline.com but feel free to use your own.

9. Use any organisation name you want.

10. Select CLIENT, not browser

11. Select Read and Write.

12. Select a logo image, solve the captcha and click done

Retrieving the application keys:

13. Now look for "Consumer key" on the middle of the page. It will be used later.

14. Now look for "Consumer secret" on the middle of the page. It will be used later.

15. Now look at the buttons to the right. Click "My access token".

16. Note the "Access Token (oauth_token)" key. It will be used later.

17. Note the "Access Token Secret (oauth_token_secret)" key. It will be used later.

Configure Wurm:

18. In Wurm, select "Configure twitter" from the village token and fill in those 4 values in the appropriate fields.

19. Done!

20. Unless you have done it already, confirm the twitter account in the email they send you.

Server twitter feeds:

https://twitter.com/wildserv1

http://twitter.com/freeserv1

https://twitter.com/goldenvalley1

Normal chat won't appear on the server twitter feeds, only serverwide events like disbanding, appointment of offices - things that go in the Area History.

wat

Yeah... seems kind of like trying to leap out for that web 2.0 when we're still missing out on stuff from 1.0

Can't see myself using it and almost every village in wild has their own invisionfree or otherwise forum set up which is simply much more functional, but I guess it can't hurt.

What? Everything in kchat is epeening, OMG I JUST HIT 23.75 carpentry everyone shower me with praise.

This is a perfect PR idea for wurm.

This is a perfect PR idea for wurm.

Exactly this, and I praise their efforts. Nice move Rolf.

although im anti-twitter, i think any promotion is good promotion.

not sure if it will be a giant hit though. its cool stuf either way!

it's a decently cool feature, I gotta confess.

good job Rolf.

I understand your reasonings Rolf, but really twitter? We could have gotten so many other cooler things we have wanted, but twitter came first. :(. Villages already have village chat, don't really see the reason, and most of us who do talk outside the game, already are using other programs.  I say -1.

The idea behind server tweets is to broadcast ingame events to the world and by that making them more real. And of course to make it possible to follow politics and important events while not online.

The idea behind village tweets is to make it possible to check the status and events of your village so that you can relax or react. You may want to keep this information private to village members.

I understand your reasonings Rolf, but really twitter? We could have gotten so many other cooler things we have wanted, but twitter came first. :(. Villages already have village chat, don't really see the reason, and most of us who do talk outside the game, already are using other programs.  I say -1.

What? There is no need for you to use it all, its a free choice.

Good update Rolf :)

This has very little effect on gameplay, and is 100% optional. If you don't like it, don't use it.

Pretty cool feature in my opinion.

I actually like the idea of the realtime feeds for each server, don't know if it will be useful for the lone villages though, but it's surely a good start.

Nice work Rolf :)

Thanks Rolf,

This extends the reach of Wurm beyond the  java client.

I am very curious to see how it may affect social interaction.

Twitter is over capacity, please try again later  :-\

DAMN YOU JUSTIN BIEBER!!!!!

Edit - 'Allright twit away!'

Yay thank you Rolf :)

and Justin Bieber I still like you

Edit 2- SCORE, just tested it out with disbanding and stuff, pretty cool thanks Rolf  ;D

Dunno how useful it will be, but its still epicly cool.

Just a slight note, is what I say in village chat supposed to be posted? and is the event message you get supposed to be 'allright' or should it be 'alright', I'm not really great at English so don't know ^_^

oh and now I've broken it, I don't know how, one minute I was happily spamming the next it stopped working, tho I didn't change anything

Dont see myself using it in a near future but i am sure some of the players will.

I don't know exactly how it works through the game, but if you have a village twitter and want several users to have access to it through their own log ins etc and online at once, have tweets scheduled to go out in the future and other stuff, you can manage that with an application like CoTweet

All village chat is going to Twitter. Not exactly desirable. I do like the possibilities for this add-on, but it's a little too messy at present. In order for it to be useful to me, I need control over what gets posted to Twitter.

Have had zero experience with twitter and very little with other social networking sites, but if we could have area history, kingdom history or something tweets it would be hugely benefitial

With this, your town can be attacked, and that tweet can be sent to your mobile phone that way, you know whats going on, and can't do anything about it!

PROGRESS!

looks like mature JK players having fun posting for commoragh?