Sign in to follow this  
Dashiva

[2011-04-07] New test client 3.0.0-2832 .. 3134

My experience with LWJGL:

not playable.

minor bug:

If i set fullscreen, 1680x1050 and 60Hz (my native resolution), client sets 75Hz. But my monitor is not able to display 75Hz correctly, it mixes pixels and most of the text is unreadable. Window and windowed maximized works (as they dont touch resolution, but use desktop one).

big bugs:

Performance. I have half or lower fps when playing at same settings. I had 40-50 with jogl, now i am mostly around 20. With almost minimum setting i am around 30, but when i try to look around, i go down to 3-10. When turning the view it is "weird" ... i dont know how to describe it, its not "tearing" (picture is whole), but its not fluent and my head start to hurt after short while. Maybe it is because of massive fps drop when turning. I was trying different settings, but most of it doesnt have any impact (or have opposite effect, like setting no water reflections degrades performance, or when not changing anything, and starting game again i have lower fps. Tried to launch few times, first with 35fps, second with 15, third 20, fouth 25 ... wtf? No fog, almost same time ingame). When looking directly down at my feet, performance increase to 60.

Sound - when i log in, i hear whole welcome music play in three seconds. It is same with most game sound (bird chirping, frogs and maybe other ambient sounds are ok), everything plays too fast. Setting audio to software instead of OpenAL doesnt help. I will try audio driver update (but all other games i have are ok ... and i have lot of other games).

info about my pc

Win Vista SP2 64b

Intel C2D E8200

nVidia 9600GT, driver 258.96, not most up to date, I will try to update

java 1.6 update 22, 64bit (i verified that game runs in 64bit)

[update]

in middle of the night, fps rised to 50 even when looking into distance ... i dont know whats happening, please help :D

shadow_level = 4

Turn shadows off and see what the improvement is

shadow_level = 4

Turn shadows off and see what the improvement is

no improvement, 6 - 8 fps when walking

im going to sleep now, ii will try tomorrow

Tried unstable, other than spending an hour frustrated trying to get a maximized window that isn't fullscreen, it seems nice.  FPS only slightly lower than current jogl stable client, might be due to water reflections and my location near water.  Also if it hasn't been mentioned, sound changes in game don't seem to save.  Haven't tried any other changes to see if they save.

Please tell me this was intended, it's too awesome to be removed.

Sunken boats follow terrain slope, a known side-effect which will have to be removed as swimming animals are doing the same. However, there will be an update some day that will rotate carts backwards when animals are hitched to them, and at the same time the server will be able to rotate sunken boats properly at random angles.

Changes in 3.0.0-2884

• Do not rotate sunk boats and swimming animals according to terrain slope.
  • Minor adjustments to the context menu of chat windows.
  • Switch unstable client to test server packs.

Sunken boats follow terrain slope, a known side-effect which will have to be removed as swimming animals are doing the same. However, there will be an update some day that will rotate carts backwards when animals are hitched to them, and at the same time the server will be able to rotate sunken boats properly at random angles.

What?  First indoor mine doors and now this?!?!

Gotta say those sunken boats look sexy.  Leave the bug in!  :P

It will return as a proper feature. :)

At the moment, after repairing a ship, it does not start to float again and stays rotated - you could sail around on it that way.

It will return as a proper feature. :)

At the moment, after repairing a ship, it does not start to float again and stays rotated - you could sail around on it that way.

In b4 speedboat pics

Changes in 3.0.0-2884

• More options to filter skill tab updates (0.01 and 0.001), improved number output.
  • "Retry connection" button text does not flow out of the button anymore with larger font sizes selected.
  • Transparent line in plash screen progress bar removed.
  • Spell effects window: "More than a day" duration replaced by numbers as there was no space for that much text.
  • A fix for visible house wall decay (needs new models still, nothing to see yet).

Noone else has issues with alt-tabbing or am I the only one playing in full screen mode?

It works fine for a while, but after a few times the client freezes and I have to alt-tab out and enter again for it to unfreeze....I never had this problem before.

Blacklight spy on Freedom, but I saw through his clever disguise!

Was no consistant material type that caused it.

wurm2010111021202.th.jpg

wurm201011102150.th.jpg

wurm20101110215011.th.jpg

wurm2010111021502.th.jpg

thats not limited to the unstable client.  textures sometimes just dont load lol

unstable client seems to be working fine for me.  FPS is a pretty steady 55-60.  i get occasional random drops to 30 FPS, but it pops right back up again and does not seem to impact gameplay.

no crashes yet.

i really, really miss the insta-resizeable window, though.  i used that feature of JOGL a lot.  if possible, it would be lovely to see this feature added to the new client at some point.

i really, really miss the insta-resizeable window, though.  i used that feature of JOGL a lot.  if possible, it would be lovely to see this feature added to the new client at some point.

I'll +1 this. At least rush the dropdown resize option...

And an option to choose the \display (monitor, screen) to run on when choosing "Windowed fullscreen" (the option that didn't work before because it always ran on the same display, regardless of the choice made in the dropdown). Possibly even a way to move it to another screen while running w/o having to use a third party tool to manipulate windows (under Windows OS).

*Snip*

Aye it can be hard to tell what is composing the current compass from the straight down eagle-eye perspective. perhaps an angle where the side is more evident.

im back, are you happy? 8)

I did vga driver update, now im on 260.99

Good news: performance a little better, still lagging, but it is more playable then before.

Run few tests: With client 2.7.5c both jogl and lwjgl run great with 50 - 60 fps, no lagging, no drops in fps.

unstable 3.0.0 2888a -> 10 - 30fps, lagging, but i hope it will get better with time :)

Bad news: i crashed few times, every time graphics driver crash (260.99 is whql driver) :-(

Any ideas what should I try? I will definitely try waiting for new client ;D