Sign in to follow this  
Guest Redsyndicate

World In Balance: New Age

alright well fine if you feel that way have fun in facepunch

If you wanna do a WiB do it normally, like the first one. This tech tree, full world map, let us choose where we get placed, etc.

why - it seems you guys can not get thru a single game without the same crap popping up

Its something different - not WIB but same concept - don't like it? don't play - others might want something different so quit speaking for everyone and let them Voice

Gorb says no - anyone else want to speak up

I'm speaking from experience Horton. I've tried twice to make a WiB on another world and not a lot of people showed interest and those that did lost it quickly. I asked why and they said that it was because it wasn't Earth.

I would support Horton, been thinking to host a game myself sometime but i don't have the time to think it over, ye the tech tree red has would be a good base for developing a new and more realistic one.

Alos like Horton's ideas, just hope he can manage them

im down for hortons concept. i do love the planet earth as gorb described it though. makes it feel more purposeful

Facepunch infuriates me, so I am not moving it there. This current game has caused mass problems so I might be ending it.

I like Horton's ideas so we will be discussing where to take WiB from here on out, and I like Pacer's suggestion, so next time things go badly in my thread, your nation gets nuked immediately, without warning.

Below this post, please feel free to discuss where to take the game, whether I should end the current one, and what to do about rules and such.

Conor, Gorb, and Talfryn: your opinions will be regarded with very little respect from me. Don't ask why, I think you know.

There's nothing wrong with me except that I'm hot headed where Conor is concerned. He infuriates me.

I vote for space

Well I am all for hosting one - i can use others as a basis and ofcorse player feedback is important - its better to set the ground rules first prior to starting the game

The only reason i suggested a different map instead of Earth is everyone chooses a place and then they know where everyone else is at strait away - I figure remove the concept of knowing what the world looks like and let exploration have its own little reward including lost cities, natural wonders, and other "events"

Well I am all for hosting one - i can use others as a basis and ofcorse player feedback is important - its better to set the ground rules first prior to starting the game

The only reason i suggested a different map instead of Earth is everyone chooses a place and then they know where everyone else is at strait away - I figure remove the concept of knowing what the world looks like and let exploration have its own little reward including lost cities, natural wonders, and other "events"

I do like the idea of a custom map, and even tried to do that once, but it garnered very little interest. However, I did only try that once. With a custom made map it would make exploration and discovery easier, being that nobody knows what the map looks like, there would be a lot of surprises available from it.

Horton, I'd like to talk to you on MSN.

Why not make some free forum dedicated to WiB?

We could flame as much as we want there :)

I think Earth's world map is ok for WiB, but i wouldn't mind a well tought out custom map.

The tehc tree definently needs a revision, its missng some thech but I don't think it should be made more complcated that it already is.

For a City-Army system I tought out about the following system: During Peace time you can have at most 3/5(depends on balance) armies per city. But during war time if you loose atleast one unit that turn your cities will be able to produce units above the limit next turn.

About tech: I think the curent system is abuse-able and leaves behind solo players. I suggest that a County shoudl be able to aquire at most 3 new technologies per turn.

1 From own research

1 From Tech Alliance or Industrial Spying the later being more unreliable/random.

1 From Trade with other countries its natural that the discoveries should be shared in time(only availeble for old tech researched say 2 rounds ago and also random)

About trade and thech alliance, I think this should be possible to be done only between countries that are close to each other and maybe share a border or two. As land trade might occur naturally, trading with boats requires a trade route and a merchant ships but it can be performed at a much greater distance.

Edit: Could try my hand at designing a custom map just give me some time.

I don't really think there should ever be a limit to how many armies you can produce per city. No matter how you play the cards someone with more cities will have more units, limiting that number just makes it so smaller nations get shafted quick and hard while that big hulking nation lords his armies over everyone else.

At least with unlimited units per city a small nation can over time amass a sizeable force. Also keep into account that in World in Balance only our largest cities are shown but logically there are a lot of other small cities and towns around those. There can't honestly be that much undeveloped land. I think it should stay unlimited, or at very least a very high cap on units (Say 30 armies per city or 10 units)

As for tech I think it should go back to the way it was before. An actual formula based tech gain where you got a certain % amount per turn depending on how many techs you're researching. It's hard to explain but RedS knows what I'm talking about.

I like the idea of limiting trade to nations you're close to or have water access with, but I think once we get telegraphs and/or planes that should be done away with, since we can make contact with them without traversing other nations.

well I am sick so its not like i am doing much in wurm or anything

The inital work is the most complex but the running of it will be easy once guidelines and rules are covered

Why not make some free forum dedicated to WiB?

We could flame as much as we want there :)

We tried that before, and I don't remember it working very well at all. A portion of what makes the game popular is its easy access to the community of Woodscraps.

I think Earth's world map is ok for WiB, but i wouldn't mind a well tought out custom map.

The tehc tree definently needs a revision, its missng some thech but I don't think it should be made more complcated that it already is.

For a City-Army system I tought out about the following system: During Peace time you can have at most 3/5(depends on balance) armies per city. But during war time if you loose atleast one unit that turn your cities will be able to produce units above the limit next turn.

About tech: I think the curent system is abuse-able and leaves behind solo players. I suggest that a County shoudl be able to aquire at most 3 new technologies per turn.

1 From own research

1 From Tech Alliance or Industrial Spying the later being more unreliable/random.

1 From Trade with other countries its natural that the discoveries should be shared in time(only availeble for old tech researched say 2 rounds ago and also random)

About trade and thech alliance, I think this should be possible to be done only between countries that are close to each other and maybe share a border or two. As land trade might occur naturally, trading with boats requires a trade route and a merchant ships but it can be performed at a much greater distance.

Edit: Could try my hand at designing a custom map just give me some time.

The current army system is fine imo. But tech gaining does need major tweeking. I think that sharing tech between people should actually be removed entirely, and that certain points be alotted between cities for either tech gaining or army production. Technologies would cease to be seperate entities, and instead would act more like experience from an MMO, leveling up your nation in certain stats such as army production, army performatnce, espionage, tech gaining, etc.

I like that idea, Red.

I think you should go back to the old system of tech research though. Instead of just getting it, picking 1-5 research projects and putting 'funding' into them. The less you have the quicker they go the more you have the slower but you get more upon finishing and there was that golden sweet spot or whatever.

If you guys want a map I could whip up a few. Maybe should have a poll first though to choose what kind of map.

I bet you don't remember/know game "The General"

it had exacly what red just mentioned.

It was simple, text based game, where you started as small nation.

You had 6 techs. Agriculture(more crops), urbanisation (more people per km2 max, there was limit), military(simple: how valuable is 1 soldier), science (higher lvl = better scientists) and 2 more I can't remember.

Every turn you had to grow crops, and sell them to get money and pay to warriors and scientists.

Your country had size in km2. It determined how much you can grow and what's your max population lvl. Army and scientists lowered population ofc.

Space.

More than one planet, each person starts on their own planet (or like maybe 3 people to a planet) and each planet has it's own specific resource or something.

I dunno I really want a space game.

I am not making a space one sorry

but so far Red has given positive responses to our discussion and since i have positive feedback I will begin forming the parameters