Sign in to follow this  
Dannyiron

"The Academy Project" Clarification and Explanations.

Good evening folks,

There has been much controversy over this topic, and I would like to clarify a few matters.

Now, my time for Wurm is quite heavily limited with real life commitments, and thus far since the concept of 'Academy Project' was introduced, I have not been communicating with villages, and I am not too aware of what Elwood has been saying to the villages. I am going to discuss these things with him later.

The intention of this project, is to intertwine villages that aspire to assist new players in Wurm. My specific desire with the direction to take this project in is, or was, to clarify that this project would be used in establishing connections, both useful for the Village Mayors and the Veterans trying to assist New Players, as well as the New Players themselves. With the publicity our village has gained, we do get the lion's share of New Players in Freedom. Not all of them are interested in the area we have at the Academy; perhaps not interested in our methods or our general state of affairs. Perhaps they seek out alternatives that we simply cannot provide. This is very understandable, as we have never aspired to gain New Players to our village and force them to stay. We stay as unbiased as possible in letting these players decide their own route to take in Wurm.

Leading on from this, that is part of the usefulness of this Academy Project. I want to gather all the members together, get all the Mayors of each Village that is a part of the project to write a few lines describing what their village is looking for, what they can offer etc. So New Players have much easier means of being able to locate Villages that offer what they are looking for, and for Villages to be able to seek new members more quickly.

In addition to the above, I had been toying about with the pheasability of opening more trade routes for New Players and the connected Merchants, allowing New Players to aquire the items they need at reasonable prices, another advantage for Villages that are a part of the project. (This is intended as a suggestions list of places where one can obtain items from certain craftsmen, although this is not wholly necessary. This will be addressed at a later date.)

We feel that as a single unit, we would be alot more effective in achieving our aims of being able to help New Players out in Freedom, and not even necessarily just Freedom - we were hoping this could extend to Wild, with villages from wild signing up to the Project, to offer New Players the means to the world of Player vs Player combat. By being a single unit, we have the combined strength of all the members of the project to be able to aid New Players in ways much more effective than just the Academy ever can. The Academy, on it's own, is one village - although our specific intentions are in offering New Players the means and facilities to at least a basic education in Wurm common knowledge, and the experience of being a part of a Wurming community. Through this Project, with enough members, we would be able to offer so much more to New Players in, effectively, having the extra facilities, the extra staff and the extra support to be able to narrow down what New Players are looking for, open up more oportunities for them, and give them a Wurming experience much closer to what they joined the game to experience. We also see it on a 'win-win' basis for the Villages involved, because they can more effectively gain new players to their deeds, they will have more routes to sell their wares through the project, and they will be able to use the project and other members of the project to support the warm welcome that many of us recieved into Wurm (All those eons ago!) and pass that onto the New generation of Wilders and Freedomites, in time to come.

I can accept the view that certain individuals have fabricated in relation to the project; I can empathise and see how perhaps this is interpretable as a power-grab. However, I assure you that this whole thing has only been done with the best intentions of New Players and other Villages in mind. It's not like the Academy consequently owns these villages, it's just the reassurance that these Villages are all dedicated to the common cause of assisting New Players, and that they can use the project to advertise their village in order to appeal to New Players, that seek an experience similar to what they offer.

I also wish to clarify that being a part of the Academy Project is not the only way of being a helpful village on Freedom, although I see that perhaps that is a downside to this. To overcome this, I want to go creating lists of villages Not a part of the Academy Project that are also willing to help New Players. If not, perhaps emphasising the point that nearly all villages on Freedom are new-player friendly an will help out. Whatever works best. If you have any suggestions for how I can do this best, please inform me. If you help me, I can help you more effectively, and we can work together to resolve any existing controversies.

I hope this clears up any doubts in relation to the project, and if you have any remaining problems, questions, queries or concerns, feel free to ask below.

I intend to create another thread, in time, when I have communicated with all interested participants, that will summarise all the villages, through the few lines advertising their village and what they offer, as well as any available pictures of the site and extra comments from the staff involved. If you are interested in the Project and have not yet signed up, feel free to leave a message in the thread, or send me a private message over the forums if you do not wish to speak publicly.

Thank you for the time, and I hope this clarifies any existing problems.

Yours formally, and with the best of intentions,

Dannyiron, Academy Founder.

In itself the idea, and reasoning behind it, are very good for the game as a hole. I do believe though that Elwood slightly perhaps went about it in the wrong way. To clarify I have no problem with Elwood, but I do feel he made a mistake bragging on kchat about this project.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify things, Danny. As I live beyond, yet on the fringes of, the NE border I have little interest in this conflict other than as an observer. I thought you should be made aware that one specific aspect of your plan has been pointed out to me as very controversial:

In addition to the above, I had been toying about with the pheasability of opening more trade routes for New Players and the connected Merchants, allowing New Players to aquire the items they need at reasonable prices, another advantage for Villages that are a part of the project.

This has been interpreted as an attempt to control where new players spend their shiny silvers at the exclusion of those who do not sign on to the "Academy Project". I don't know if it was presented as such but that is the impression I am getting. Perhaps as you establish your list of villages that are willing to take on new players you can start a separate list of villages, or individuals, that are willing to supply "the items they need at reasonable prices".

You asked for suggestions so there ya go.

Thank you for the suggestion - I intended the above as a suggestion of where to locate such goods, but this may not be necessary at all. Thank you for the input :)

I applaud the Academy and it's continued efforts for the education and guidance of new players. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for taking the time to clarify things, Danny. As I live beyond, yet on the fringes of, the NE border I have little interest in this conflict other than as an observer. I thought you should be made aware that one specific aspect of your plan has been pointed out to me as very controversial:

In addition to the above, I had been toying about with the pheasability of opening more trade routes for New Players and the connected Merchants, allowing New Players to aquire the items they need at reasonable prices, another advantage for Villages that are a part of the project.

This has been interpreted as an attempt to control where new players spend their shiny silvers at the exclusion of those who do not sign on to the "Academy Project". I don't know if it was presented as such but that is the impression I am getting. Perhaps as you establish your list of villages that are willing to take on new players you can start a separate list of villages, or individuals, that are willing to supply "the items they need at reasonable prices".

You asked for suggestions so there ya go.

I do not get that from what he said. All that was stated is the thought of opening more trade routes. They key word being "more", as in, adding options.

Danny took litterly the words out of my mouth, this is what i intended with the academy project,

but, sadly, some people saw it as power grabs (which were not) how ever, i no longer wish to continue as a elder with the academy ,

but, i do keep doing my duties on GV as a PA.

for those wishing to contact me with questions or what ever, feel free to drop me either a PM here, or ingame.

ill be governing Ultimarus  till december or after the holiday periods, after that ill reconsider if i take my job back as Elder and my continuesly efforts to help the newbs on freedom.

yours truly

Elwood, Mayor of Ultimarus.

I applaud the Academy and it's continued efforts for the education and guidance of new players. Keep up the good work!

+1,000,000

Needless to say The Academy has helped many new players learn about Wurm as well as helped ease some of the hardships a new player can face when coming to Freedom.

I fully support Elwood and The Academy for all they have done and do provide for New Players in Wurm.

It's not often I post in support of something as most can attest too. ;)

From the very beginning when I started Wurm and until this day I have only known Elwood to be Helpful and Polite.

Some here may say This Project has some kind of Motive.

And I say you are right!!

It has the Motive of Helping New Players and The game as a Whole at their own expense of Time and Money.

As we all know soon GV will be coming and many more freebs will need some help at times.

The Academy and its allies will be there to assist and help those players learn about the game of Wurm.

Some of those players will stay and become premium players simply because of the efforts of The Academy and Players like Elwood.

To take the time and energy to help a New Player at ones own expense in any game is one of the most unselfish and honorable things anyone can do.

My hat is off to Elwood!! I hope you choose to continue to help New Players in the future no matter what you decide about this current situation.

And yes Keep up the Good Work!! :)

Would like to thank Everyone who has supported us the passed half year with the academy, and its goal  to help the newbs.

for the time beeing, ill be running ultimarus.

atm, im sitting towards a burn out :/

many regards

Elwood

The academy taught me a lot while I spent my time there and even provided me with a lot of extra tools that I needed.

It's full of great people and it's a great addition to an already wonderful community.

Although I spent only 2 days at the Academy (the need to have my own deed on the bay's shore was too strong to resist), all I've met there, especially including Danny and Elwood of course, have been helpful and understanding. That is why I'll always support the Academy, Danny and Elwood in their endeavors aimed at helping new players.

I spent a short time poking around the academy, and although I only spent 5 seconds running through it, I noticed how great it was, mainly because it had a fo altar to cater to us fo priests, unlike all those other villages with only vynora altars  :'(

But the Academy does work hard and everyone in it dedicates 90% of their time to help noobs, 9% of their time repairing stuff around and in the academy and 1% of their time posting in kchat :) Thats more help than any other village can afford to give helping noobs (especially if you like grinding weapon smithing). So its good to see that the Academy project exists to help noobs and its also good to hear that its an un-biased organisation so everyone can fairly benefit from it. As Danny said, it looks like a win-win situation for everyone  :D