Sign in to follow this  
Dashiva

The future of JOGL and LWJGL

I can play on both but get much much better gameplay all around in LWJGL.

Update:

1. LWJGL is giving me about 1/2 the FPS, from 50-60 FPS on JOGL down to 20-35 on LWJGL. Its still quite playable, but definitely a major drop in FPS. Not sure what is the cause, but the settings are basically the same between the two versions.

2. I get a lot more hitching running dual clients now. Last night I tried a JOGL and LWJGL client at the same time and both of them were in a ferocious battle for disk resources, which is rather unusual since normally they both run smoothly. I have also tried two JOGL and two LWJGL clients at the same time and the JOGL is the best performer with 45-55 FPS between the two clients and only 15-25 FPS with two LWJGL.

I know its still early in the game, but just thought I'd post what I'm observing as of right now.

The main problem of LWJGL for me is that i can't use cyrillic. Not sure it's unicode support or something, but only way to use cyrillic is to copy and paste, then it goes normally, typing won't get any readable text.

wurm201011181455.jpg

??????, ??? ????????? part is as it should be made by copy pasting (meaning Hi, this is cyrillic).

And Ãðèâåò, ýòî êèðèëëèöà part is as it appears in both message and type box. This is incorrect and not readeable.

upd: looks like troubles with forum too (putting a ? instead of any cyrillic symbol, but works ok on jogl and other forums so i think it's not my problem.

The input thing is nasty, it goes all the way to the native code in windows. Can someone please check if non-Latin text (russian, hebrew, arabic, japanese, chinese, etc) works on mac and linux?

Hi!

As I said in the other thread, JOGL is the only thing that works for me and the vast majority of people I play with excluding people who use Linux hate LWJGL also.

This really sucks.

JOGL = Most windows users love this and hate the other one.

LWJGL = Most linux users love this and hate the other one.

Just don't see why we would remove one :<

If the above is true - is there still a good reason then to go for only LWJGL? With so many still having difficulty with it?

It is a bit caricatural... JOGL is used in commercial softwares and even in some commercial games like Wakfu, the famous "sequel" of Dofus created by Ankama Games.

After reading the game planned to go to LWJGL full time, I switched to try it out, and hated it. Much prefer the current set up, and don't understand why the limitation planned. Any reason why JOGL is being cut?

Im starting to really hate it also. I know they have some good reasons for switching but it seems like the pros are for the dev side and we are gonna get stuck with the cons of it on the user side. I call dropping from 80-120 Fps to 30 a major hit. I can run 2 jogl clients and still get 50+ fps and smooth movement. lwgl 1 client sometimes jerky movement. No borders on the client window so you can actually drag a window off screen and cant move it back(atleast I dont know how to do it and frankly dont think I should have to learn a trick to get my inv window back). No true fullscreen windowed. Everytime I decide to use it I find something new and irritating and just go back to Jogl.

I know you guys are working hard on it and I appretiate it. I applaud all your efforts and the time you put into coding the client that is no small feat. But bear in mind we users spend sometimes hours a day with the client window as our home and I am starting to feel like i am going to be evicted from my penthouse to a rent controlled apartment on the bad side of town.

Oh how I wish this never happened.

Ever since this change, I have had issues with playing this game on ATI, and noone seems to know how to fix my and so many others their problems with ati+wurm.

hell the client developer doesn't even have a ATI card, so how can he fix anything that conserns ati+wurm

Oh how I wish this never happened.

Ever since this change, I have had issues with playing this game on ATI, and noone seems to know how to fix my and so many others their problems with ati+wurm.

hell the client developer doesn't even have a ATI card, so how can he fix anything that conserns ati+wurm

This ^

Ive have a problem that i Dc all the time randomly, and down grading drivers will help, which isnt the best of help.

Ive have a problem that i Dc all the time randomly

LWJGL/JOGL != networking

Ive have a problem that i Dc all the time randomly

LWJGL/JOGL != networking

^this. If you were crashing then maybe you could blame LWJGL, but DC is networking. Check your router, firewall, etc.

Disconnection, sorry, i mean it just crashes the client randomly.

ATI and Wurm have never seen eye to eye.

NVIDIA ftw. :P

Yeah makes me wish i didnt spend £100+ on a good graphics card from ATI, haha.

good graphics card from ATI.

That a very dangerous misconception to have  ;D

good graphics card from ATI.

That a very dangerous misconception to have  ;D

My previous PC had an ATI card and never any issues, but I didn't trust to that when I bought a laptop recently and went for NVIDIA graphics in that - couldn't be happier :)

Wakfu is flash and adobe air.

No, it's client-side Java. I've installed the game (which just went into public beta yesterday) and if you look in the installation directory, this is obvious. On Windows, it includes it's own version of the Java 6 Runtime (no Java 7?) at C:\Program Files (x86)\Wakfu\jre, you can see all the (compiled) Java source for the game in C:\Program Files (x86)\Wakfu\core.jar, and you can see all the Java dependencies. I see both jogl and lwjgl which is odd.

Regardless, the game runs beautifully. Very smooth, gorgeous effects. Still learning the actual gameplay and skill system.

Really? You had to comment on a year old post that had nothing to do with Wurm and was off-topic anyway? /facepalm