Sign in to follow this  
Dannyiron

Referrals now give 20 days worth of premium time rather than 30.

Well, this is saddening considering the 6 unused referrals I have mean I have 2 months less of premium ¬_¬

So, referrals are worth like 4.5s now?

Before you could essentially prem a new character for free (5s+referral), so this was a necessary change

Why you kept 6 referals instead of using them??

Probably for a 'rainy day' when funds might be low at home.

Well, this is saddening considering the 6 unused referrals I have mean I have 2 months less of premium ¬_¬

Well, that's disappointing. No warning either. I think my wife still has several of the referals from my sponsorfest last winter unused. Bah.

Why don't you give the referal(s) to the person(s) that brought you to wurm.  That's what there truly meant for.  By selling the referral it's abuse of the system, I'm surprised Rolf didn't nerf them Sooner.  When you refer a future employee to to your employer and your employer has a referral program, you should get the bonus.  The New Employee does not have the right to sell the bonus to the highest bidder.

refers are worth more since 1 hour sleep bonus = 5s from the trader.

1 hr sleep bonus is worth a lot less in game. Sleep powder is supposed to be a money sink, expensive shinny stuff for for the people that got money to spare.

But yes I feel hosed that my referal just lost 30% of its value, although I get why its good for the game

Why don't you give the referal(s) to the person(s) that brought you to wurm.  That's what there truly meant for.   By selling the referral it's abuse of the system, I'm surprised Rolf didn't nerf them Sooner.  When you refer a future employee to to your employer and your employer has a referral program, you should get the bonus.   The New Employee does not have the right to sell the bonus to the highest bidder.

Who's saying that I didn't give my referral to the person that bought me wurm? Can only give them once, and I've purchased others who have decided to sell theirs.

what you can buy sleep bonus? gah this game is going downhill fast....

You've been able to do that for almost a year now

Why don't you give the referal(s) to the person(s) that brought you to wurm.  That's what there truly meant for.   By selling the referral it's abuse of the system, I'm surprised Rolf didn't nerf them Sooner. 

I brought myself to wurm, so it's mine. Basically a signup bonus. Or I could wait for google to become sentient and start playing...

I like the change personally. And this is coming from someone that buys a lot of referrals. It's good for the game.

[o]It's part of the same change that put 2s into every noobs hand right away - which is good for them and for artisans

[o]It "sort of" fixed the "its better to make a new account than buy a month +5s on my current account" exploit that was generated. Still room for abuse but less likely.

[o]It makes buying referrals less attractive versus buying time at the token than before.

Referral prices will likely go down a bit, but there is also a whole new market segment of players that might buy a referral instead of white powder to get the 20 days of play time cheaply.

It is sad however that the referral system will never function how it is supposed to function. But anytime the referral award has significant economic value, this is going to happen.

[o]It "sort of" fixed the "its better to make a new account than buy a month +5s on my current account" exploit that was generated. Still room for abuse but less likely.

I don't see how that is in any way, shape, or form an 'exploit'. The 1 mo + 5 silver costs just as much as 2 months. Assuming you gave yourself the referal and the 5 silver, you'd now have a useless noob alt account as well as 1 mo + 5 silver.

If you sold the referal for 7 silver, yes, you'd end up with 12 silver instead of 10 for your 10e. But even then, that's fixable by just removing the 1mo + 5 silver option. Which, imo is a much better solution than gimping referrals, especially after transactions have already concluded which were based on a referral giving 30 days, not 20.

Guess this is par for the course for wurm (No forewarning of major changes). I don't know why I keep thinking things are ever going to change, I should realize now that they're not.

For a ->very<- brief period of time you could get the new account 2s AND the referral was worth a month of premium. That's 2e+5e+5e=12e of silver/premium for 10e.

Didn't see this thread until now, but I've made a similar post in the bugs section. This is an oversight which means anyone who created a character (prem) before the change and didn't use their referral loses out on minimum 2s.

For a ->very<- brief period of time you could get the new account 2s AND the referral was worth a month of premium. That's 2e+5e+5e=12e of silver/premium for 10e.

Well, that's a Rolf fark up. Why should that affect anyone else who didn't abuse it, but still had referrals that they paid for with the (At the time correct) understanding that a referral was redeemable for 30 days?

I still don't see why Rolf has to be so incredibly secretive about some of these changes. Forewarning would've let people who had unapplied referrals use them, as well as had the desired effect. Noone would've been annoyed. Now those of us who had unapplied referrals now suddenly have 30% less game time stored than we previously had. If Rolf decided that your 12 month prepay was suddenly the price of a 8 month, and changed your remaining prem time accordingly, you'd be annoyed too wouldn't you?

^^^^ What he said.

If we'd have been warned I'd have cashed in my referral immediately. Since we weren't warned we were robbed.

Uh.... Elshar - I didn't say anything about your feelings on the matter or if it is fair or not to people like you that chose to hold the referrals instead of redeeming them immediately like I did. You made a mistake and objected to me calling something an exploit (getting a free 2s for your 10e by using a new account) because you thought I was talking about the old system that was completely fair. I simply corrected your misunderstanding. Your beef is with Rolf, not me.

How to fix referrals:

Get rid of them.

Referrals aren't being used for their original purpose and anybody who buys/sells referrals is basically exploiting the system.

How to fix referrals:

Get rid of them.

Referrals aren't being used for their original purpose and anybody who buys/sells referrals is basically exploiting the system.

+1 except I wouldn't get rid of them. . . but you make very Good, Perfect points.

+1 except I wouldn't get rid of them. . . but you make very Good, Perfect points.

Well I have another solution then.

Anybody who joins doesn't get a referral. They can send a link to a person by which that person joins. Once that person joins and buys premium the original player will get the referral.

And finally the referral should not give money or premium time, instead giving a non tradable item. Depending on the number of referrals this items bonus should stack or more of it should appear.