Sign in to follow this  
Madt

Wurm using way waaay to much processing power.

I can have firefox open with many tabs and a video running and get around 10% CPU Usage. I open the wurm window i have minimized and it goes to about 80-90+ percent Usage.

It's even worse if I am dual clienting. I get blue screen of death cause Wurm nearly fries my CPU. And dual clienting is not a bad thing and shouldnt be stopped and isnt unintended so I dont know why the clients being coded that way to make dual clienting not possible. If you personally have problems with dual clienting then ask Rolf to make the game not require it and ask the players why they need to dual client then work on making it so they can do all that they need on one character.

Please please pleeease don't tell me to try using two seperate computers to use two clients.

Didn't we have a conversation about unfounded assumptions and groundless accusations before?

He didn't directly accuse anybody so you can whine all you want.  The fact is that over the past couple years wurm has started sucking more and more life from my computer, taking it from able to run 3 clients at once easily, to laggy and choppy trying to run 2 (1 minimized, 1 up.) If his assumptions about it being intentional are unfounded and groundless like you say, then you as the client dev need to look into why your client has had such a huge jump in CPU usage, which is why it was put in bugs and problems.

I remember seeing someone say somewhere, a client dev, that they didnt like people playing with multiple clients open. And the recent rise in how much is required to run wurm these days just leads most people to believe that the client devs are trying to stop people doing this by making wurm require more proccesing power. If this is as Brycarnia said not true then its clear that the client needs some looking into why its getting heavier and heavier to run dramatically.

You may want to try just purging everything wurm related from javaws and reinstalling to make sure any old libraries aren't being used something like that happened to me before and it killed my fps till I found it. You may want to run a drive diagnostic to make sure your disk isn't approaching the end of its life they start to spin slower at that point. You may also want to run a virus/spyware scan since you are getting bluescreens (next time it happens write down the 0x error code and paste it here). It goes without saying you should update all your drivers as well and make sure java is completely up to date. Investing in a scheduled defragger isn't a bad idea either. I run two clients myself and usually have plenty of cpu time to run a browser and watch a movie as well ofc the 2nd client is at minimum settings usually, you may have to play with settings to see what your system can handle before slowing down both clients.

This was whilst playing wurm. I was in a very wide open space, not many buildings or any civilization nearby.

Was not watching any videos

Was not downloading or uploading anything

Was not doing anything that uses a lot of processing power, I was just web browseing and had wurm open.

11b6slx.jpg

will look into that Zaz

I use a not-so-old old computer here at work (Optiplex 760).  When a co-worker put Firefox on the machine a while back, I tried it, and it obliterated system performance just opening the Google basic search homepage, nevermind anything complex.

I have heard that Firefox is better about being a system performance destroyer than it used to be, but I'd suggest doing a uninstall of Firefox, and a reinstall of either something else, or verify you have the most recent Firefox version.

Not saying that Firefox is the problem, but based on my prior experience with it, it may be.

Thats also another point I dropped firefox for chrome, or rather Iron which is chrome without the google branding etc. You may want to look at another browser as bob says it may not be the problem but it could be a contributor. Did you try flushing out everything wurm related through javaws and reinstall the client? Post your system specs if you would as well.

play with the options.

I'd suggests a single-clienting option (profile) and a multiclient profile. So you can quickly change from a nice picture to a horrible one and back again.

Enable the frame rate limiter to keep wurm's processor usage as low as possible.

I remember seeing someone say somewhere, a client dev, that they didnt like people playing with multiple clients open.

That's silly.

I remember on the old graphics and older clients i could run 3 clients no problem.

I remember on the old graphics and older clients i could run 3 clients no problem.

With improvements in technology comes a cost of increased resources to use it.

With improvements in technology comes a cost of increased resources to use it.

not when the improvements are worse.

*Optimized creature handling code. This reduces CPU usage in areas with a lot of unmoving creatures by about 20%.

*Improved tree rendering performance. This should help on older graphics cards, multi-clienting, or at high wurm Window / screen resolutions.

Wow, this is exactly the sort of fix I wanted! I take back what I said and apologise. Thanks guys.

*Optimized creature handling code. This reduces CPU usage in areas with a lot of unmoving creatures by about 20%.

*Improved tree rendering performance. This should help on older graphics cards, multi-clienting, or at high wurm Window / screen resolutions.

Wow, this is exactly the sort of fix I wanted! I take back what I said and apologise. Thanks guys.

Did that actually help much? I'm curious

Not really. :P

Also the client is still using a lot of cpu even when its rendering is turned off. It only stops using so much cpu when minimized.

Wurm itself shouldn't be able to cause a blue screen, as it runs in user mode, not kernel mode. What is the specific stop code and information on the blue screen? Usually blue screens are caused by either a problem with video drivers, or an actual hardware problem. CPU or memory instability under high-stress usage is the most common cause I have seen, though I have seen video cards that are going bad cause them as well.

I would recommend downloading something like Prime95 (google it for the download) and running it in stress test mode for a few hours to see if you machine has any CPU or memory issues. You could also download furmark to do a similar stress test on the GPU and video memory.

I wuld be willing to bet that one of those two tests will fail. Also, take a look at the capacitors on your motherboard. Those are the metalic cylindrical cans located around your CPU about 1" tall and 3/8" diameter. Look for any gunk leaking out the bottom onto the motherboard, or swelling or leaking on the top. I have seen computers with failing capacitors start throwing blue screens when the CPU is under a heavy workload. If that is the case, you will need to replace your motherboard, or if you are VERY good with a soldering iron and have a good temperature controlled iron, you can replace them.

This is really becoming a serious issue, mine is using around 60% when NOT ACTIVE and 90-100% when it is... and freezes alot.

Turning off nVidia PhysX seems to help abit, but still using 70-90% cpu with medium settings with the occasional spike to 100% and fps freezes.

I just have to add it that even when I run a single client my processor will have spikes. I don't run anything except Firefox and a single client. Most the time I sit at around 60-70% CPU usage, but there have been times that it spiked to 100% for seemingly unknown reasons in Wurm and just stuck there for awhile. So yea, a lot of people seem to be feeling the weight of the processor load.

Yeah this is happening to me with a single client aswell, but the odd thing is when i launch the seccond one up the cpu useage barely goes up atall, the first one keeps using 50-60% even when minimized, and the seccond one uses the cpu like expected, 20-40%.

Unless I'm very much mistaken about how Java works, it is basically emulating a computer inside your computer.  Thats what makes Java successful - that virtual machine runs the same way on every computer, every operating system that Java can run on.

This means that not only are you running Wurm, you are running the machine emulator that is actually running the Wurm code.  It sounds as if your machine might not be playing nice with Java.

Unless I'm very much mistaken about how Java works, it is basically emulating a computer inside your computer.  Thats what makes Java successful - that virtual machine runs the same way on every computer, every operating system that Java can run on.

This means that not only are you running Wurm, you are running the machine emulator that is actually running the Wurm code.  It sounds as if your machine might not be playing nice with Java.

Thought about that just now myself, maybe i should try reinstalling java or reverting to an older version.

Thought about that just now myself, maybe i should try reinstalling java or reverting to an older version.

Well reinstalling java didn't change anything but i noticed that when the game is minimized it still uses one core at 100% (50% overall ofc) since i have a dual-core cpu, so i changed wurm to run on one core and now it's back to normal, no longer using cpu when it's minimized and when active cpu useage is around 45-55%, which is still abit high but.. meh.

So maybe this is the reason... multi core support.

My CPU is an Intel E6850 C2D 3.0GHz

RAM: OCZ 4GB (2+2) DDR2 800

Mobo: EVGA nForce 680i SLI

Java Version: Version 6 Update 21 build 1.6.0_21-b07