Sign in to follow this  
Tournus

Getting Wurm to run on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx

Here is a guide to get Wurm to run almost flawlessly on Ubuntu Linux Lucid Lynx 10.04. Hopefully it'll be of help to some people. I installed Wurm on Linux today and found that I got a decent performance boost. Here's what to do step by step:

- Make sure Ubuntu is up-to-date. Do this by going to System --> Administration --> Update Manager.

- Make sure your drivers are updated. You can check this by going to System --> Administration --> Hardware Drivers.

Here are some screen shots for a visual (didn't wanna spam the forum with huge images, so if you want a better view then right click, save as, and zoom in): :)

Menu for where you update your computers video card's driver and system files:

gpudrivers.png

&

Menu to make sure your drivers are up to date, and if not, where to install them:

Drivers.png

Now that is taken care of we can move on to our next step, which is installing Java SE 6. With Ubuntu 10.04 Sun's Java is not included in the default repository, so therefore we need to add it.  Here are the steps to do so.

Go to System --> Administration --> Software Sources. Then you will see tabs at the top of the window the pops up. Click the tab labeled "Other Software." Then click add. In the APT line please enter the following:

deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner

Then click Add Source and then close. Then click reload and allow the packages to be downloaded.

Then go to Applications --> Ubuntu Software Center and search using the words "Java Sun." You should then find the following package. Install it.

Java.png

Once installed you are almost ready to play Wurm Online! There are only three things left to do.  You have to load up Wurm's launcher and download the pack updates. Then click "Settings" and look under the tab "Game" which should be the default tab selected. Select LWJGL as your game renderer and then you're finished. Launch the game. Works perfectly for me.  Good luck!

Warning : OpenJDK, which is what is supported by Canonical, the makers of Ubuntu, does not work with Wurm correctly. It gave me a bunch of strange texture glitches and artifacts. Only use Sun's Java.

Excellent!

Thank you for removing the big red triangles that were supposed to be willow trees! (I was using openjdk)

I tried to get sun java installed a while ago, but had the wrong source or installed the wrong package or something.  The screenshot helped.

8)

I now love linux. There are sooo many better things about it.  In 5 years everyone will be using it (thanks to the ubuntu version).

Excellent!

Thank you for removing the big red triangles that were supposed to be willow trees! (I was using openjdk)

I tried to get sun java installed a while ago, but had the wrong source or installed the wrong package or something.  The screenshot helped.

8)

I now love linux. There are sooo many better things about it.  In 5 years everyone will be using it (thanks to the ubuntu version).

Np mate. I was getting those big  red triangles and some other strange looking shapes using OpenJDK as well. I'm glad to see them gone as well. :)

Ubuntu really is a great operating system. I've only been using it since 8.04. Lucid Lynx is the best version of the distro yet.

Good job. Think the key part really is the sun java vs the openjdk. Been running wurm on ubuntu for a few years now (2007 or so). Hope this helps others :)

Good job. Think the key part really is the sun java vs the openjdk.

Yep, thats what I think too. OpenJDK is catching up to Java's Sun but it's not quite there yet. Sun's Java should of been included in Ubuntu's repo to save a lot of users some time. I can't really blame them for not including it though. Linux and Ubuntu is all about FOSS and Open-source so I figure thats why they're pushing OpenJDK to be the main Java platform for their OS. Maybe one day OpenJDK will catch up.

EDIT: Oh, and after toying around with the settings and reading  http://wurmonline.com/wiki/index.php?title=Common_bugs_and_solutions I found that  enabling "Release OpenGL context each frame" increases performance a bit (for me at least; less stuttering, smoother gameplay) but changes the feel of moving the camera around.

OMG Brilliant!

Thx for info i was trying to run wurm on ubuntu for ages. I couldnt see any inventory. So i tried lots of things like emulators (Virtualbox). I get pretty good fps without using all of the system resources. However wurm in emulator didnt recognized my mouse it spins but not to the place i wanted.

I will try this :)

I will format my windows and re-install ubuntu again!

Thx again for a brief installation guide for Ubuntu. Would love to see it in wiki, maybe its already up didnt checked.

And its Ubuntu 10.09 as you mentioned "Lynx". Just an info for the others. Results may vary in other releases.

OMG Brilliant!

Thx for info i was trying to run wurm on ubuntu for ages. I couldnt see any inventory. So i tried lots of things like emulators (Virtualbox). I get pretty good fps without using all of the system resources. However wurm in emulator didnt recognized my mouse it spins but not to the place i wanted.

I will try this :)

I will format my windows and re-install ubuntu again!

Thx again for a brief installation guide for Ubuntu. Would love to see it in wiki, maybe its already up didnt checked.

And its Ubuntu 10.09 as you mentioned "Lynx". Just an info for the others. Results may vary in other releases.

Glad to to help. :)

Wow I am glad every one seems to have this repository available to them, cause I don't :( .  Even when I was ruining "Lucid Lynx" I could not find the "sun-java6-jre".  To add, I have recently upgraded to  "10.10 - the Maverick Meerkat" and still have not seen that package offered.  I also find suns instructions on installing Java very broad and not helpful. Some of the commands it tells me to run in my terminal seem not to work or be recognized by the terminal.

I am able to install Wurm, But when I go to run the game it states that updates need to be ran before ruining the game.  I  run the game updates.  The progress bars get to the very end of update install and then sends a message saying it fails to update. 

If any one has any advice on how to run this install on Ubuntu 10.10 I would love to hear it.  Or even how to get my hands on that sun Java package I would also like to know.  Right now I am stuck using the Open JDK package.

Now I feel like a moron, It seems every time I go to a forum about support right after posting my comments or questions I resolve the issue.  I am not for sure if I was finally able to get the sun Java installed however.  I still can not find the stated package as posted above by Tornus.  How ever I was able to finally resolve my issue with the sun instructions on the Java install to some extent. It turns out I was having issue's with a the install directory in Ubuntu.  

I was able to unpack the RPM Java package from sun, It still does not list it as as option to open the client with.  I also do not see the sun Java listed as a installed program in Ubuntu, but I do know the package is unpacked and the terminal show's the process as finished. I can even verify it as you see here

kernel@Raptor:~/java$ ls

jre1.6.0_24  jre-6u24-linux-i586.bin

(So I am still a little confused on if it is actually installed correctly. Even with the package verification.)  

With that said, if that makes any since, I did make one or two more changes.  I installed some more of the open Java packages that I notice I had skipped before, listed in the Ubuntu software center. (How ever I doubt those packages had any impact on the game, since most of them deal with open Java for servers). The only other change I made was; switching the options to using lwjgl as my game render instead of the other selection.  (Though again, I can not say that helped, because I done this only after the updates had actually completed successfully this time around.)  So to be-honest I am not for sure exactly what I did resolve the issue.  Considering my original issue was the updates not taking hold to even allow me to get this far.

I am going to to see if I can back track my steps in the next few days, So I can see if I can figure out what I done to make the update work.  If any one can reads this and understands what I am saying (cause I am not for sure even if I do lol) and may have a Idea to how I resolve this issue please post a reply here or send me a message.  I am really trying to learn Linux and it maybe help me out or future Linux users who may have the same issues running the game.

Well in the end the game seems to work great now in Ubuntu.  I even find it to run semi smoother then I do when running it in Windows XP. Along with more color depth and now it appears I am able to run it at a higher screen resolution then what I can use in Windows XP, with out a jittery effect I would normally get in Windows when trying to do so. So now I am off to try to kill this Troll that has me stuck in my shanty at the moment, :P  happy gaming peeps.

With Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick) you have to go to

Main Menu: Ubuntu Software Center : >> Edit, Software Sources.

Select the tab Other Software and either enable "Ubuntu Partners" or, if not in the list, select Add and enter:

deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu maverick partner

I have one additional question if i may,  Has any one tested the client in Ubuntu 11? Particularly version 11.4 alpha 3  "Natty Narwhal"?

I am running Wurm on OpenJDK, Ubuntu 10.04 (updated), no issues here. Even then willow trees render right.

so anyone able to play wurm on an ATI system since 11.04 ?

For those that have an ATI card and had issues running the game in Ubuntu or Linux in general, you must install the 64 bit versions of the distributions!!!.

The problem lies with the ATI 32bit proprietary driver and the way it handles 3D Java applications. Minecraft users also have similar problems.

The 64 bit version of the driver is working flawlessly. Took me about 6 months to figure that out...

Did you find the 64 driver version driver on the ubuntu site? it just auto installs a catlyst for me when i go to additional hardwarde. (my HD 6650M card has huge issues with wurm on windows and ubuntu, all other games work perfect exept for wurm)