Sign in to follow this  
tonygreeen

Selective forum bans

How can one person be banned for something then another person is allowed to do the same? Discuss.

yeah Tony me too thinks Posteh's ban was wrong

You are discussing that, right? Nice to see that.

How can one person be banned for something then another person is allowed to do the same? Discuss.

Hahaha.  My thread was worth 30 days.

To answer your questions, it comes down to three things:

How many warnings the poster previously had.

Where the post is made, if in the wrong section or not.

The content of the post, and how many rules it breaks.

You forgot how many reports it gets.

Something can break no rules but get a million reports and it will be removed.

Something can break a million rules and get no reports, and nothing will happen.

Because general attitude and past offenses plays in.

Basically this. If a user has multiple past offences, and a general bad attitude, and frequently treads the line, we are more likely to ban vs. someone who extremely rarely does so.

Banning users will never be an exact science.

If users have a bad reputation, 9 times out of 10 it's their own fault. That's the bottom line of it.

why don't we take each post on an individual basis?  Yes they can add up but why would one person be guilty of trolling and another not simply because that first person has a past history?

Always wondered that.  I prefer to take each offense on its own merit and not look at past offenses.

why don't we take each post on an individual basis?  Yes they can add up but why would one person be guilty of trolling and another not simply because that first person has a past history?

Always wondered that.  I prefer to take each offense on its own merit and not look at past offenses.

Personally, I do judge posts on an objective, individual basis. So person A with a history won't be guilty of trolling when person B without a history isn't. If it breaks the rules it breaks the rules, if it doesnt it doesnt.

If those posts are found to be contrary to the rules then a punishment is needed. That is where we take past offences into account. So for example Person A would be much more likely to recieve a ban if they were trolling, whereas person B without a history from us would have a warning. Things like that.

what i think sucks is when the coward who bans doesnt give an explenation.

Really?  ...Really?

As someone who's been banned before (twice) I can tell you I never needed an explanation, I knew why right away.  If you really are that stupid not to know what you've done to deserve a ban you must of never read the rules or are just stupid. 

Really?  ...Really?

As someone who's been banned before (twice) I can tell you I never needed an explanation, I knew why right away.  If you really are that stupid not to know what you've done to deserve a ban you must of never read the rules or are just stupid. 

If you don't know why you got banned, thats a good indication of why you were banned.