Sign in to follow this  
Jberg

Splash: recv failed

I got this extremely annoying problem, most times when I try to start the client from the jnlp file, I get the first splash ("Wurm Online" ( not the new one)).

At the same time I get an error that only states

"Splash: recv failed"

then the process stays open for ~20-30 seconds, after that you get to try to start the client again.

sometimes it works the second try, sometimes not.

Running on windows 7 x64 with

java version "1.6.0_18"

Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_18-b07)

Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.0-b13, mixed mode)

Usually caused by having Comodo Firewall installed

Usually caused by having Comodo Firewall installed

actually, yes, I have. no workaround?

After the initial start up, the "splash" is retrieved from a server remotely.

Only suggestion I have is that you go into your java, remove your old client, and then click the link again and see if it still happens. (no need to remove the packs).

If you add javas.exe (if I recall correctly) to the trusted applications on Comodo this issue should disappear.

Old fix I posted previously. Still should work:

First of all, you need to make sure your firewall/antivirus (I have comodo) isn't messing around with it. Add javaws.exe (should be in your sys32 folder or syswow64 folder for vista users) to your exceptions list

1) I put my wurmclient.jnlp into the folder which i created: C:\Wurm Online (YOU MUST DO THIS IF YOU COPY AND PASTE THE COMMAND IN STEP 3)

2) I right clicked on my desktop, went to new -> create shortcut

3) In the destination field i put (Vista 32-bit):

C:\Windows\System32\javaws.exe -Xnosplash "C:\Wurm Online\wurmclient.jnlp"

INCLUDE THE QUOTES.

Edit: Vista 64-Bit (tested on my other computer):

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\javaws.exe -Xnosplash "C:\Wurm Online\wurmclient.jnlp"

4)Press on the newly created shortcut, to see if it works out for you.

NOTE: IF YOU USE THE UNSTABLE CLIENT, REPLACE "wurmclient.jnlp" with "wurmclient_unstable.jnlp".

Now every time I press on that shortcut, it will first go to javaws and give it the -Xnosplash command, then it will launch wurmclient.

This works every time for me. You can rename the shortcut to "Wurm" or whatever you want, or change the icon, without effecting it.

If you don't have javaws.exe in system32 folder, you will have to locate it yourself and put in the appropriate destination field. Remember : Regardless of where you install java, you should have javaws.exe in system32, if you use Windows.

I eventually got to the point of solving this problem because using "C:\Wurm Online\wurmclient.jnlp" -Xnosplash WOULD NOT WORK, so I figured that in order for -Xnosplash to be valid, javaws needed to be given the command before wurmclient was launched.

Hope this works for you, it fixed my problem of "Splash: recv failed"

EDIT: Also, after messaging someone else this fix, they apparently fixed it a different way. Here is a quote from the message:

"all I did was go to control panel, click on the 'java' icon, then click on the 'view temporary internet files' button find the wurm online application and click the above button to create a shortcut to it on desktop, auto updates itself too."

If my method doesn't work, try that too =)

creating a link to "C:\Programme\Java\jre6\bin\javaws.exe -Xnosplash http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient_unstable.jnlp" works for me :3

but thanks for this, I had this annoying recv error too sometimes to mosttimes and had to start the launcher up to 10 times before it went through. I really like the comodo firewall but it also seem to have many problems with things, I know there was another game where it made problems.