Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Expecting server freezes to be resolved

Allright we are making the server more effective through multithreading and this was what caused the recent freezes. We were able to diagnose and find the reason for the last two freezes and just remedied it. It was the same reason for both those freezes but we do not have the diagnose for the previous ones. We will assume that it was the same reason for now.

The only confirmed DDOS attack was on the saturday one and a half week ago.

The freezes occured when there were many players online at the same time so we did not detect them at the test server.

It was very unfortunate that I moved the office this particular week. But then again it is never a good thing with these things as you have become sadly aware.

I am going to focus on fixing "outstanding issues" a while now. Such as old annoying bugs and holes in features as well as revisit the recent boat code now that there is a lot of feedback.

Best of Wurming,

Rolf

Thanks for the update Rolf. But how long will it take until the server is back up?

I am going to focus on fixing "outstanding issues" a while now. Such as old annoying bugs and holes in features as well as revisit the recent boat code now that there is a lot of feedback.

That's great news :)

I've been waiting on fixes for ages, thankyou Rolf.  :)

LIKE PEEEVEEEPEEE?

Fighting has been worked on alot, i'd rather Rolf fix wind so it blows in all directions >.>

LIKE PEEEVEEEPEEE?

Fighting has been worked on alot, i'd rather Rolf fix wind so it blows in all directions >.>

No i'd rather have PvP problems fixed.

LIKE PEEEVEEEPEEE?

Such as?

LIKE PEEEVEEEPEEE?

Such as?

Archery bugs, shooting through the ground, being able to shoot 2x-3x the recommended range for some bows.

Shooting into houses.

I just want the server back online. :)

Edit: And it is! ;D

LIKE PEEEVEEEPEEE?

PVP affects like three people who cares.

Make boats not suck.

LIKE PEEEVEEEPEEE?

Such as?

Archery bugs, shooting through the ground, being able to shoot 2x-3x the recommended range for some bows.

Shooting into houses.

Won't that be really really hard to stop shooting through the ground?

I'm pretty sure you cannot shoot into houses.

And 2x-3x the recommended range is archery skills decided.

LIKE PEEEVEEEPEEE?

Such as?

Shooting into houses.

Won't that be really really hard to stop shooting through the ground?

I'm pretty sure you cannot shoot into houses.

And 2x-3x the recommended range is archery skills decided.

Jayz's troll got shot right through the gatehouse. No position bugs.

hope this fix will include making boat faster :)

Wonderful news. I don't know about the rest of the Wurmian population but I'm certainly willing to wait a bit longer for big new things (religion fix, bridges, multi-story houses etc) if you spend some time now making what we have now work as intended.

That's great news :)

In real life the wind does not blow that way at all - it generally moves in from the coast toward land in daytime and out from land to sea at night.

Large areas of water will cause stronger winds toward and away from them as the water heats up and causes the air above it to expand outward.

Working out code to generate realistic winds is very similar to creating a height map of the land.

You work out how many tiles out from a particular tile are sea and then you create a wind 'hieight' according to that.

In Wurm terms that is very similar to the double map that maps out mine areas. You have a separate tile map for wind.

In wind epicentres, ie where you have lots of water around some tile - you will have less wind and, as you move away from there, the winds will become stronger.

Epicentres can be estimated by drawing a 'line' around the coast and then drawing lines from the circumference (and orthogonal to it) across the water at regular points around it.

Where each line across the water first intersects another line (from either side) you create a point with becomes one point in a polygon that defines wind strength boundary.

From the circumference of that boudary definition you then draw more lines inward and create a new boudary definition in the same way..

You keep doing that till you have all lines intersecting on one tile. That tile is the epicentre of wind for that body of water.

Each circumference as you work toward that tile marks an decrease in gradient of wind strength, very much like a contour map - but where the epicentre is the lowest point in the contour map.

From the epicenter you then work outward again, increasing wind strength by one factor at each circumference (each factor is probably incremented according to the inverse square law).

Wind strength on any tile is then calculated as a simple formula involving base wind strength for that tile and time of day, where time will affect the wind strength roughly like a sinusoidal curve starting at 8pm as the initial decrease in temperature.

Hard to explain but I am sure Rolf will understand what I mean ;)

Algorithm Following ....

(quoting this post instead of the huge one)

Although what you say is true, i don't think Rolf intended for people to make a ship, then sail it to the south side of the map, where it takes them 48 hours to get it back to the top of the map ~ Like our Knarr for instance, although this might be a bug (0.90km/h going north, row boats go much faster).

Deleted post titled Algorithm following ...

I hd three attempts at it - each one a refinement of the previous one .. and then realised that only some seriously precise semi-code description would make any sense to anyone other than me.

I think Rolf is smart enough to take anything useful (that he does not already know) from what I already posted - so I will leave the post, and my vanity ;), alone.