Sign in to follow this  
Guest MrConor

Buoys

Wow, have the new forums removed all archiving?

Anyway, I still agree with the idea :)

Bumping again because this idea needs to happen and seems insanely easy. This is just a plantable sign/lamp that floats.

Imagine marking your favorite server crossing spot with a floating barrel with a lamp on it, mark impassable clay shoals, designate a landing spot for an inland event or just decorate the bay.

+1. Can use it to mark approach to bridge or ship tunnel, deed boundaries, shallow/deep water

Construction should be Lamp + Barrel + rock + rope + lead anchor.
Same planting rules as lamps.
Allow painting to apply both to the light and barrel color (green = safe, red = do not go there)

It can sway with trees, but this is not necessary.

• Like 1

Cask buoys and the like are certainly consistent with this kind of setting, I'd say. They were essentially just built like barrels coated in tar:

Cask%20Buoy%20-%20European%20ca%201425.j\

Sticking some kind of lamp structure on top would add functionality as guide beacons, which would be nice.

attaching a lamp to illuminate the water and as a marker for a location that you may be dredging

+1

I want buoys and light houses, AND I want them to give off coordinates that can be plugged into a ship, and the ship courses right to them. For those of you for whom every single thing in-game must be a struggle, just don't use the coordinates.

8 minutes ago, LorraineJ said:

I want buoys and light houses, AND I want them to give off coordinates that can be plugged into a ship, and the ship courses right to them. For those of you for whom every single thing in-game must be a struggle, just don't use the coordinates.

lol Buoy hate is still free bump, ;)

Hate to be that guy... But would this mean the oceans would now be littered with these things? No more darkness on the oceans, everything must be lit up, etc?

Angry old man's blood pressure is rising at the thought :angry:

Not saying -1, just shaking my cane "Not on my lawn ya whippersnappers!"

doooom!

Alright, thanks for your patience. Reluctant and weary +0.95

14 hours ago, Reylaark said:

Hate to be that guy... But would this mean the oceans would now be littered with these things? No more darkness on the oceans, everything must be lit up, etc?

How about just a bouy with a flag, no light. They would still be really useful.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Reylaark said:

Presumably they'd still have to be maintained in terms of repairing and filling with oil, so I doubt they'd be super common in the middle of the ocean unless people put a lot of effort into it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zethreal said:

How about just a bouy with a flag, no light. They would still be really useful.

4 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Presumably they'd still have to be maintained in terms of repairing and filling with oil, so I doubt they'd be super common in the middle of the ocean unless people put a lot of effort into it.

yeah, while thinking about this I remembered living on Deliverance with a tiny patch of tar just barely at water level in the middle of the bay.  Sure enough, people got stuck on that thing all the time, especially at night.  Neighbors and I eventually put a lamp on it, painted it blue I think... wasn't the end of the world, I lived ^_^

Good idea.

anchor + ropes + small barrel

Also optional flag and lantern versions.

A uombie thread which in fact worths rebirth. A great idea....

Yeah I saw those on Emoo's vid but I am not very impressed with those graphics. Looks just like a small barrel with a lantern on top. Hopefully that's just a placeholder until some nice artwork can be finished for them. Still, the concept is good with them being able to float (anchored?) out in the water.

=Ayes=