Sign in to follow this  
Keske

Lake or pond creation!

OK so this is my reasoning..

I live on a mountain.

Said mountain has wells/fountains but no water tiles.

My idea (if not already suggested) is to allow creation of ponds or lakes that can be used for fish and water.

This of course would make having a mountain a bit over-powered for defense and sustainability reasons.

But even so, I feel that creation of bodies of water should be possible via barrels and a dug out location

It could use the same plan out feature a house does to create a skill based demand (digging) and would help immensely to add more realism.

A problem would be that the water might end up there for a long time so maybe a drain feature? water would leech out into the area after time (pond would "decay") and eventually disappear.

Also said lakes should include love tile creation so i don't have to bounce down said mountain to meditate. >.>

I feel this would add a lot of fun to the game as shaping the world can be enhanced.

I see 1 major issue.... water level is bound server wide... Even if it would be to be made as a separate object i'd still say no to the idea because it's just overpowered as you said it yourself.

Like Rainbow said the water level is an issue.  I think it would be interesting however to see things like moats and drawbridges.  even rivers and streams.  But I don't think that is something that will ever happen in wurm. 

Having water sources from which rivers and streams originate would be very interesting, especially if you could change those rivers through digging and possibly even flood certain areas. But that would have to be done on a new server for sure (epic?).

dynamic water would be very very hard to do in wurm, and very griefable as well, hang on, 1 sec, lemme just channel a river down into your city

dynamic water would be very very hard to do in wurm, and very griefable as well, hang on, 1 sec, lemme just channel a river down into your city

true, which is why you should build your cities on higher ground, which is again why it shouldn't be added to existing server. It adds some more depth to where to build and where not to build cities. You see this even in RL, cities build on to low ground can flood if things go wrong, so cities on low ground ending up being flooded in Wurm wouldn't be strange.

It would indeed be hard to make but if it's possible then it would be very interesting.

I would like to see this happen none the less. Will give another use for rain. Build a man-made lake and do a slope check around to see if there's a spot that is lower than the water level, to create a "flow" or "stream", whichever you call it. Once every hour, the water moves and the water level reduce.

List of ideas to go with this

• Water Measurements and Uses
    • 20kg (liter) of water = 1 slope
    • 20kg (liter) of water can turn 4 tiles of packed dirt and dirt into mud tiles
    • Can hinder crop tiles growth for a day (Debatable)

• Introduction of Mud Tiles (Somebody suggested this before, just expanding it with this idea)
    • Basically dirt tiles, but slower movement. Horse movement are even more restricted, so walking is the best option
    • All packed dirt and dirt tiles turn into mud when it rains
    • Any packed dirt and dirt tiles containing water will stay mud until there is no water left
    • Mud tiles require 4 wurm hours to dry off back to dirt
    • Digging slope reduces to 2 * Digging skill
    • Any water poured (will be designed to pour at closest corner) to any packed dirt or dirt tiles will turn them into mud tiles

[*]Another use of Rain

• All packed dirt and dirt tiles turn into mud when it rains
    • Pits that have 10 slope or more for all side will start producing 20 liter of water per 1 wurm hour
    • Water will slide to the bottom and keep filling until the pit can't hold the water
    • Will reduce archery's accuracy, depending on the severity of the rain
    • Can hinder crop tiles growth for a day (Debatable)

[*]Another use of Water Sources

• Any tiles with water source will start producing 20kg (liter) of water per wurm hour if the pit fits requirement to be filled
    • Can potentially create rivers, depending on size

[*]Structures

• Give structures actual "height"
    • Structures with specific height (except for wooden fences) can prevent flood, depending on the size of the flood. Tall stone walls would probably work out the best

[*]Weatherology

• To plan ahead
    • Use a tool or use a spell (Maybe Vynora and Fo) to predict the weather for the incoming wurm week or two

For Freedom, if you say griefing and whatsoever, Ecrir is right. It'll give you another thing to consider about when building a fresh village. If you see someone trying to create a lake on top of you and try to flood your place, stop it, you have the power to prevent harm being done to your village. The griefers can't kill/stop you.

For Wild, it'll give more tactics to use and need to plan ahead. Think of the scenarios that can be done! You can try to flood your opponent to ruin their crops if they're under seige, or to hinder their movement and terraforming! If it rains on you while you're retreating, curse the gods and fight another day!

Actually decent idea, and not horribly hard to do if you code it as a separate item. Watering hole, max size you can build depends on masonry skill and takes rock shards to build. Give it same coding as wells/fountains, except bigger and allow fishing out of it.

Actually decent idea, and not horribly hard to do if you code it as a separate item. Watering hole, max size you can build depends on masonry skill and takes rock shards to build. Give it same coding as wells/fountains, except bigger and allow fishing out of it.

Yeah, even if the pond made the area a no dig/fill zone (kind of how fences prevent changes) to prevent problems, it would be a nice addition to be able to make water supplies like that.

It could also lead to changing that max water level (even if just on wild to prevent griefing) and fluid dynamics.

Is the game always supposed to reject the notion of the water being more realistic?

Instead of thinking how it cant be done now, think of how the game will end up advancing later.

Even a hole in the ground with a bunch of water that prevents digging would be a step forward

dynamic water could add a lot of load to the server also... would be fun to see a flood break through a levee tho =D

great idea.. i can see having rivers added as being a HUGE challenge but lakes on the other hand.. if there is a depression you could add water to a tile like dirt or sand or the water would add naturally as from rain. if u drop water on the side of the hill youd get a message similar to dropping dirt above a mine shaft " it falls through the cracks"

Yeah we talked about this before somewhere.

Anyhow you could make it a simple pond/basin and use clay as the foundation so that water does drain through.

I don't know it the game has the ability to have any water other than whats at ocean level.

Even filled fountains do not have water in them.

I suppose it would take alot of programming to get something like this to mesh properly and its not likely to happen even though I would like to see it as well.

And you repair it and improve it with water! to refill it or something. but i think xsamuraizx wanted something a little more in-depth, me and you are thinking on a smaller scale.

This is a great idea! id love to have a pond in my deed. ;D